toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Maybe Katana is in the show because somebody on the production staff likes the character. Wouldn't that be reason enough?

Hordesman is online now slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert McSantos View Post
    Maybe Katana is in the show because somebody on the production staff likes the character. Wouldn't that be reason enough?
    I think she may be a high priority character tinkered with behind the scenes. Any of you see that BATB comics ad where Katana was wearing an outfit she never actually wore on the show itself? Right now, I'm think Cass as Black Bat would be a good fit for a Batman Inc. show down the road.

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman7821 View Post

I also don't understand why use Katana, why not Cassandra Cain? I mean, does Cassandra even appear in animation before? I mean, I know most fans know that Cain use to be Batgirl, but they don't have to make her Batgirl. (since the general public mostly think of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl, and I doubt they know that other characters were Batgirl at some point.)

They could call her Black Bat or something. I know I'm pretty new to the DCU, but it looks like they are making Katana a teen, when I believe she is a adult. If they wanted to have a teen ninja/sidekick, why not just use Cain? As far as I know she hasn't appear in animation before, and I think Katana has. I know some fans say that because most non-comic readers wouldn't know who Cain is, but I think that is more of a reason to add her, so more people will know about her.
    I think that in general, the reason they went with Katana is because she's a relatively obscure character. I totally agree with you that I would have liked to see Cassandra instead but the thing is, even if Cass has never been on TV in any real capacity the character of Batgirl has been used really frequently. So if they're committed to the idea of doing a Batman show without characters that have been done before, I can see why they would go with Katana as a sidekick instead of Cassandra. Even with Black Bat it's still essentially the same concept/role that Batgirl filled.

And hey it's always possible Katana IS Cass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordesman View Post

I think she may be a high priority character tinkered with behind the scenes. Any of you see that BATB comics ad where Katana was wearing an outfit she never actually wore on the show itself? Right now, I'm think Cass as Black Bat would be a good fit for a Batman Inc. show down the road.
    I'm guessing that she'll have an altered origin for the show if she's a teenager, especially since her comic origin story is very dark. I'm guessing she has a black suit because they'll be forgoing the nationalistic themes, and of course black is easier for stealth than a bright red and yellow samurai get-up.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryWilliams

I think that in general, the reason they went with Katana is because she's a relatively obscure character. I totally agree with you that I would have liked to see Cassandra instead but the thing is, even if Cass has never been on TV in any real capacity the character of Batgirl has been used really frequently. So if they're committed to the idea of doing a Batman show without characters that have been done before, I can see why they would go with Katana as a sidekick instead of Cassandra. Even with Black Bat it's still essentially the same concept/role that Batgirl filled.

And hey it's always possible Katana IS Cass.

I'm guessing that she'll have an altered origin for the show if she's a teenager, especially since her comic origin story is very dark. I'm guessing she has a black suit because they'll be forgoing the nationalistic themes, and of course black is easier for stealth than a bright red and yellow samurai get-up.
    This version of Katana might be a composite character just like how YJ's Artemis Crock is part Arrowette.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This version of Katana might be a composite character just like how YJ's Artemis Crock is part Arrowette.
    What part is that?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting call. Her costume certainly looks far more like a couple of Cass' outfits than any of Katana's.

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has Katana been introduced in DC's New 52 comic line yet?

The reason I ask is because when Scott Snyder was asked about Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown at this weekend's C2E2 convention, he hinted that there would be another female character showing up in the Batman comic series.

Could it possibly be Katana?

Maybe there is some cross-promoting going to happen with Katana, and her connection to Batman, to give her wider exposure.

Gold Starz is offline "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Fan Beyond View Post
    Has Katana been introduced in DC's New 52 comic line yet?

The reason I ask is because when Scott Snyder was asked about Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown at this weekend's C2E2 convention, he hinted that there would be another female character showing up in the Batman comic series.

Maybe there is some cross-promoting going to happen with Katana to give her wider exposure.
    Katana is currently in the Birds of Prey, which is technically a Batman book. Also, she 's a grown adult, the Katana in the picture looks more teen-college age, imo.

For the record, Snyder is talking about a character called Harper Row who's just got created in the New 52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Starz View Post
    Katana is currently in the Birds of Prey, which is technically a Batman book. Also, she 's a grown adult, the Katana in the picture looks more teen-college age, imo.

For the record, Snyder is talking about a character called Harper Row who's just got created in the New 52.
    Oh okay, scratch that idea then.

I had actually forgotten about the Harper character already, since we haven't seen much of her yet anyway.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, unless they killed Katana and introduced a new teen version cross-promoting would be difficult. Though like I mentioned, I imagine we'll get a drastically different back story anyways since the original version (a married woman whose husband and children were murdered by Yakuza thugs) is rendered moot if she's a kid.

One thing that got me thinking was the description of Katana as a "ninja" from the first press released and speech. Maybe she's connected to the League of Assassins?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    What part is that?
    Having followed the YJ book when it was published years back,I see a definite Arrowette filter to this version of Artemis Crock. "Secrets" is probably the episode with the deepest connection to the original comic and I'm not sure Arrowette's origin (think Silk Spectre by way of Toddlers and Tiaras) is quite where a show like this would go... but I certainly get the sense that Artemis here would tell off the JLA like Arrowette did.

I think it doesn't help that Cass' most known costume is still one where she's all covered up. I remember when the new Batgirl showed up during No Man's Land and I entertained the possibility that it was related to Connor Hawke being in limbo at that point, lol.

Green-Ghost is offline Bring on...POISON IVY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A teaser for Beware The Batman is now available at The World's Finest and at the DC Nation website. Click the links to view it.

Riddler is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WOAH! Looks awesome!!!! I love the look of the Batmobile. Whose voice is that??

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That teaser was well cool, wonder whose doing his voice kinda sounds like a young version of Conroy. Also loooked very dark and the batmobile was sweet.

Oh and Batman looks awesome.
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

Riddler is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
    That teaser was well cool, wonder whose doing his voice kinda sounds like a young version of Conroy. Also loooked very dark and the batmobile was sweet.

Oh and Batman looks awesome.
    Yeah, I immediately thought it was Conroy when I first heard it. I hope they release info on voice actors soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Yeah, I immediately thought it was Conroy when I first heard it. I hope they release info on voice actors soon.
    Yeah so did I at first, whoever they've got is good (to be honest they rarely cast a bad Batman).

I'd love to hear more on the voice cast too.
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool! Sounds just like a young Kevin Conroy!

Whoever it is, he should have done the voice in Year One.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Fan Beyond View Post
    Cool! Sounds just like a young Kevin Conroy!

Whoever it is, he should have done the voice in Year One.
    He definitely does

Were you not a fan of Ben McKenzie? I liked him as Batman but thought his Bruce Wayne sounded off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
    He definitely does

Were you not a fan of Ben McKenzie? I liked him as Batman but thought his Bruce Wayne sounded off.
    Like with William Baldwin in Crisis on Two Earths and Jeremy Sisto in New Frontier (which I really like now), it took some getting used to Ben McKenzie. He wasn't awful, but he's certainly not one of my favorites like Kevin Conroy, Bruce Greenwood, or Rino Romano.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast