toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - "Justice League: Doom" Animated Feature

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll

11 21.57%
  • ****1/2

11 21.57%

18 35.29%
  • ***1/2

5 9.80%

5 9.80%
  • **1/2

0 0%

1 1.96%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    beyond94 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    As I said before, Doom I thought was a much more enjoyable film than CO2E as far as drama action and the music score. James Woods voice and Dwayne McDuffie's script was the only good thing about that movie. Here in Doom, everything about the movie was awesome down to the animation. I just wish that Batman only in the Justice League animated films was designed with the Neal Adams touch as in Batman The Animated Series. I always liked him with bat enblem with the yellow circle around it. I feel that having that big black bat emblem makes him look lame. Howevethey did a great job animating him here. Superman however looked a little weak here despite the wonderful anime. He looked solid in CO2E. Wonder Woman and all the rest were outstanding especially Green Lantern. Phil Morris is a great voice actor but for a scope of this magnitude Warner Premiere should have gone with Michael Clarke Duncan for Vandal Savage. His voice would have made a difference in the character. Otherwise a great film.

Bat Bruce is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond94 View Post
    Phil Morris is a great voice actor but for a scope of this magnitude Warner Premiere should have gone with Michael Clarke Duncan for Vandal Savage. His voice would have made a difference in the character. Otherwise a great film.
    And would have cost so much the movie would have to be done in the style of South Park

Lord Sidious is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did anyone notice John Jones' stalker was the alternate version of Rose Wilson from Earth 2 in CO2E???

This is definitely a sequel courtesy from Dwayne Mcduffie!! Same music theme, same Owlman's jet, same Watch Tower, same costume design, and now Rose!!

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sidious View Post
    Did anyone notice John Jones' stalker was the alternate version of Rose Wilson from Earth 2 in CO2E???

This is definitely a sequel courtesy from Dwayne Mcduffie!! Same music theme, same Owlman's jet, same Watch Tower, same costume design, and now Rose!!
    That's a huge reach. And aside form the short hair they don't really lookalike.

Besides I have a feeling that Rose Wilson's Earth-1 counterpart has white hair.

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    That's a huge reach. And aside form the short hair they don't really lookalike.

Besides I have a feeling that Rose Wilson's Earth-1 counterpart has white hair.
    In addition, the woman's name was Maggie, not Rose. I think Jones' partner was named Smith.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: July 11, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quick thing that I saw earlier and forgot to comment on:

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I think it was Ed Liu that asked them in an interview and they flat out said it was Wally in CO2E.
    Would love to take credit for that one, but it wasn't me (or if it was, I can't find the interview where I did and can't remember anybody telling me that ). I saw a reference somewhere that said Wally is named in the end credits, but I haven't had a chance to haul out my copy of the movie to check.

Also, the Rose thing from Co2E had a great in-joke when J'onn says at the end, "Knowing my luck, in our world she's probably evil." In the comics, Rose Wilson is the daughter of Slade Wilson (a.k.a. Deathstroke) and took on a female version of her father's costume to become Ravager. She's had an on-and-off history with the Teen Titans, sometimes as an ally and sometimes as an enemy, so odds are that she probably is evil at least part of the time on Earth-1 in that movie. But that's definitely not her in JL: Doom.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    Would love to take credit for that one, but it wasn't me (or if it was, I can't find the interview where I did and can't remember anybody telling me that ). I saw a reference somewhere that said Wally is named in the end credits, but I haven't had a chance to haul out my copy of the movie to check.
    Gulp, now I can't find the interview or any proof. I checked the end credits and it just has "Josh Keaton as Flash" and had the "xxx Created By" for Batman and Wonder Woman. Maybe it was a snippet of dialogue in the movie or someone asked Mr. McDuffie in his Ask the Maestro thread back when the movie came out.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: July 11, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

patrickyugo is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishin ookami
    Oh man, I do so love me some quality Super Hero Smackdown. And this Movie delivered what daddy likes.

I think one of the things I dislike about some of these features, and some portions of the DCAU and specifically about CO2E, is that at times they don't quite give superman enough credit as the teams resident powerhouse. CO2E had everyone roughly equal or more powerful than their evil counterpart, and Batman was fighting Owlman with broken ribs so I don't consider that a fair fight, yet Superman was having difficulty against some of the flunkies early in the film, and didn't so much as get in one punch on his counterpart. So it was great seeing him get a chance to really show off. His *ahem* "fight" with Ace was hilarious. And seeing the way he evened the score with metallo was also cool. It was great to see him able to travel very fast through space, and nearly able to stop that rocket on his own.

Maybe it was just me, but I was a little disappointed with Batmans fight against Bane. Sure, we all knew Bats would win, but I was a little disappointed he didn't thoroughly torture and brutalize Bane considering the colossal way Bane humiliated and twisted the knife in him at first. Sure, Batman doesn't kill. But we all know he does have a vengeful streak in him and doesn't hesitate to wound those he's really PO'd at on a psychological level. I expected him to enact at least seven different kinds of contingency plans on Bane before finally knocking him out.

Also some things I really liked in this flick is that some of those setups were absolutely brutal. Batmans was so hurtful on several levels. J'on's was just... nasty. GL's was also heartfelt and affecting. Supes was... well it was done before. WW's... was the most unexpected, and ultimately the most Bond villain esque of the bunch. Seconded only by Flash's situation. Of all the films you want to ape, why an overhyped Keanu Reaves early 90's star vehicle? Why? Not that it wasn't well played. Just... not as well done as Batman's or J'ons.

The film was great. not perfect, but still great. I was happy to hear most of the cast reprise their roles. And after visiting a dimension where the Justice League took power, it makes sense Batman would put together these plans, so its logical this would be a continuation of CO2E.

Overall though, im starting to get a little burned out on these DC animated features. Either we have character pieces like All-Star Superman and Batman: Year One, or action oriented epic punch-ups like WW or CO2E's and Batman/Superman Apocalypse. . I'd really like to see something more like Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo again. Something more humorous, fun, and light hearted. Something like a mxyzptlk feature with John DeLancie (Q from Star Trek TNG, DS9, and (ugh) Voyager) playing the role. Or at least, playing another similar role. That would just so totally perfect and help break up the flow that is in danger of becoming just a bit stale.

I give this one a 4 1/2
    The same thing happened in justice league, ala justice lords, so it could have been a continuation to JL/JLU.

khuddle is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Fan Beyond View Post
    I wanted to take my time and write a well-worded detailed review of this film, but I just don't have the time, so I'll make do with just a few hard critiques:

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but it is nowhere near as good as the reviews I've been reading are stating and it is nowhere near as good as half of the better animated DTV features WB/DC have released in the past.

Let's see, first of all, I never read the original Tower of Babel comic story, so I have no allegiance to how unfaithful it is or isn't in that regard. But I do have some issues with some of the choices of characters for this film. For one thing, I really don't like some of the villains used. Now this is a personal thing, but I would have rather had Ra's Al Ghul instead of Vandel Savage. I don't have a problem with Star Sapphire or Cheetah (it's about time they got some effective screentime), but I could care less about Bane or especially Metallo.

I also didn't care for the inclusion of the Royal Flush Gang. It seemed unnecessary for these characters to even be involved and take up so much time in the movie. Their purpose could have easily been performed by the members of the Legion of Doom. Plus, all the time spent showing the Justice League fighting the Royal Flush gang would have been better served by fleshing out Cyborg a bit more, who basically seemed to just be thrown into the film without any origin or character development at all. I actually like Cyborg, and understand having him included reflects the modern New 52, which I don't have a problem with at all, but they should have utilized the character a bit more, so that newcomers have a better understanding of who he is. Also, there are a few things in this film which take away from Cyborg's inclusion: Let's see, there's Cyborg, but then there is Metallo, Ace (from the Royal Flush Gang), and a replicant Carol Ferris. I mean, really, how cool and effective is a cybernetic man, like Cyborg, when we have so many other high-tech mechanical beings around, too? I'm not saying they should not have used Cyborg, but I do think the other robotic characters should have been eliminated from the script, if only to make Cyborg stand out as being somewhat unique within the framework of the film.

I also thought that Metallo being in the film caused another issue, since he has a Kryptonite heart. It makes me ask -- Why didn't the League just switch adversaries the second time around when they faced the Legion? It would have been smarter and more convincing than having Superman fight him again and beat him so easily, when the kryptonite problem still existed just the same. Personally, I would have preferred seeing Bizarro in that role.

Another character that I was totally lost on was J'onn J'onzz's brother or whoever he was. It was never said who he was or why he was there.

The animation wasn't that bad, nor the designs, but it certainly wasn't DC's best, especially compared to the similar, but superior Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths movie, in which this is implied to be a sequel to. It was nice having some old favorites return to do voicework, although it was odd having Rosenbaum do Barry Allen, which also makes one question that if this is in the same continuity as Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, what happened to Wally?

I could probably nitpick this movie all day, but aside from some well-done fight scenes, when it comes down to it, the writing and direction just wasn't that good. The story structure just wasn't what it should have been, and it makes me wonder if this was simply a rushed, faithfully-intended, but thoughtless, adaptation of Dwayne McDuffie's first rough draft script. I almost think that if McDuffie were around when this was being made, he would have had a strong hand in improving upon it. Sometimes the dialogue itself even seemed weak at times, with some of the performances kind of phoning it in. I think the best lines and delivery came from Batman at the end when he called the League "Damn fools" and said he shouldn't be a member (although, I do have to say that the voice performance of Cheetah was very well done, too).

The bottom line is that this should have been a lot better. It's the final film directed by Lauren Montgomery for DC, it's based on the late great Dwayne McDuffie's last script, and it's a great concept based on a fan-favorite comic book story that features Batman proving how smart and distrusting he can be (which should have been further explored in the film), and Batman eventually leaving the team; Yet, it all amounts to just a mediocre movie, especially compared to some of the highwater marks DC animation has previously set the standard with.
    In addition to all the flaws you mentioned, and the infamous "Superman flying faster than the solar flare which is travelling at light speed" problem, another thing that bothered me was the WW/Cheetah fight scenes. We are led to believe that WW is second only strength to Superman, and yet Cheetah pretty much holds her own in their fight scenes. Did Cheetah suddenly develop superhuman strength? What the animators should have shown is Cheetah using her superior SPEED to keep her in a fight with WW -- she is half-cheetah, after all.
    Its small flaws like that kept this from being a really good movie.

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
    In addition to all the flaws you mentioned, and the infamous "Superman flying faster than the solar flare which is travelling at light speed" problem, another thing that bothered me was the WW/Cheetah fight scenes. We are led to believe that WW is second only strength to Superman, and yet Cheetah pretty much holds her own in their fight scenes. Did Cheetah suddenly develop superhuman strength? What the animators should have shown is Cheetah using her superior SPEED to keep her in a fight with WW -- she is half-cheetah, after all.
    Its small flaws like that kept this from being a really good movie.
    Not up to them. That's up to the writers and storyboarders for laying out the scene that way.