toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Favourite Design?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • DCAU

16 38.10%
  • Brave New Metropolis

0 0%
  • Batman Beyond

1 2.38%
  • Justice League Season 1

1 2.38%
  • Static Shock

0 0%
  • Justice Lords

3 7.14%
  • Legion of Super Heroes S1

0 0%
  • Legion of Super Heroes S2

0 0%
  • Legion of Super Heroes Superman X

0 0%
  • Legion of Super Heroes Fusion

0 0%
  • The Batman

3 7.14%
  • Batman: The Brave and The Bold

6 14.29%
  • Young Justice

12 28.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Zentron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

I've only seen a couple of the eps where Supes appears in YJ (I've not been able to watch all the eps yet), but I certainly prefer that design to the rest!

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShayeraHol View Post
    The YJ by far...when I saw him first appear I was beyond estatic over his design. This is how Superman is supposed to look strong, muscular and have eyes like everyone else! Another this show is pure perfection...the characters to me are SPOT ON always.

The rest I won't get into esp JL/JLU...one of my biggest problems with the show was the design and portrayal of his character.
    Hey now, at least in JL/JLU and the solo DCAU series Superman actually had a heart and a soul. Yeah his YJ design might be better looking visually but from a narrative standpoint in YJ he's just a special effect - shallow, empty, vapid, heartless, soulless - not an actual character.

TheFlash4444 is offline "Babe you rock."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMarsh View Post
    Hey now, at least in JL/JLU and the solo DCAU series Superman actually had a heart and a soul. Yeah his YJ design might be better looking visually but from a narrative standpoint in YJ he's just a special effect - shallow, empty, vapid, heartless, soulless - not an actual character.
    Interesting because I think that as the series went on he showed a lot of different characteristics that were more aggressive than the Superman I know. As for YJ just because he hasn't been heavily focused on in the series as much as say Batman or Black Canary doesn't mean he is any of those things you stated. I think if anything Alienated alone portrayed him far better than he was ever portrayed in the DCAU in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlash4444 View Post
    Interesting because I think that as the series went on he showed a lot of different characteristics that were more aggressive than the Superman I know. As for YJ just because he hasn't been heavily focused on in the series as much as say Batman or Black Canary doesn't mean he is any of those things you stated. I think if anything Alienated alone portrayed him far better than he was ever portrayed in the DCAU in my opinion.
    JL/JLU showed Superman in both positive and negative lights - he played peace maker when he had to (The Enemy Below), he truly believed in a united team of heroes dedicated to tackling disasters too big even for him (Secret Origins), but he was not immune to manipulation and/or paranoia (Only A Dream, Secret Society, For The Man Who Has Everything, Cadmus arc), sometimes even his hatred of his enemies clouded his judgment (Twilight of the Gods, Clash), he tried to help a fellow alien assimilate to Earth culture (Comfort & Joy), he refused to give up even when he was cut off from his powers (Hereafter Part 2, Starcrossed arc), ultimately he thwarted Lex Luthor's plans to drive him completely insane - thus recreating an effect from a parallel universe that would have given Luthor a proverbial last laugh - by refusing to kill him even after it appeared he'd killed Flash (Cadmus arc), he supported his friends when they needed him to (Paradise Lost), etc. Once he even managed to solve a mystery that proved one of his allies had been framed for mass murder (In Blackest Night).

Season 1 of YJ pretty much defined Superman by his refusal to talk to Superboy and the writers refused to examine how he felt and why he felt the way he did with any kind of depth beyond having him scream "I'm not his father!" like a kid who doesn't want to go to school, essentially reducing Superman to a cameo and a prop. While Batman had more than enough screen time to give you the feeling that he is who he's supposed to be - gruff, gravelly, stern, stoic but still capable of kindness & compassion - Superman did not, which resulted in scenes such as saving a bus full of kids Reeve-style and acting as the JLA's seemingly good natured spokesman falling flat since his barely there characterization doesn't register the heroic nobility and compassion typically associated him. His "good job kid" moment to Superboy at the end of "Auld Acquaintance" and their few moments in "Alienated" don't pull at the heart-strings the way they should since YJ's Superman never comes across as someone Superboy should actually care about, let alone like, beyond plot contrivance. And why should the audience care about Superman, beyond 70 some years of publication history, when the show's own writers don't care enough about Superman to invest any time in him? Even Superman yelling at the aliens from "Alienated" to run for their lives fails to live up to the legend of the Man of Steel when stacked against the predominantly negative image season 1 cultivated around him. In essence, he really is just a special effect. Aquaman and the Barry Allen Flash feel more fleshed out than him, and the latter appears even less (of course they're not hiding from clones).

A more compelling story could have easily been made from Superman trying to teach Superboy the value of empathy and compassion as the two learn how to coexist, but that probably would have taken too much time away from the awkward yet sacred Superboy/Ms. Martian subplot. As much as I enjoyed past works by Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-Man) I find myself hoping he doesn't get the tap to be show-runner on a future solo Superman series (and you know they're probably kicking one around to cash in on next year's Man of Steel).

The one thing I will agree to is that YJ's design of Superman is better looking than his JL/JLU design. That's pretty much the only thing YJ's Superman has over JL/JLU Superman. But for heart and soul JL/JLU's Superman still trumps YJ's Superman.

M.O.D.O.K. is offline Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    he's just a special effect - shallow, empty, vapid, heartless, soulless - not an actual character.
    So, he's true to the source material, then.
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: TSSM's Eddie Brock: A Nice Guy or a "Nice Guy"?

Gravitea is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I found the Young Justice version to be my favourite. He looks strong (but not bulky), has striking blue eyes and I like the colours of his costume.

Second favourite would be a tie between JLU and S:TAS. I disliked his JL Season one look as he looked old and weathered. His Batman Beyond design looks great.

Third favourite would be The Batman.

While he had bulked up in Season 2, I actually prefer Supes' Season 1 look of LOSH. He looks dorky, yet he's still strong and showed that he must still grow into his role of being The Man of Steel.

I liked Superman's design from The Brave and the Bold as hit captured the Golden Age very well.
    From one choice, a universe is created...

ivanstein is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    No way! In JL he has a bigger torso and slightly thinner legs, but atleast he actually has man feet instead of tiny keebler elf feet, lol. really though, I think the JL design is more streamlined and better looking than STAS, but to each their own good sir.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...hrthfthrth.png

D.
    The torso on the JL's design is far too big in comparison to the rest of his body, and his face seems to weathered and tired. I prefer STAS superman's colors ALOT more compared to JL's dull purple and dark red colors which always appeared the same no matter how dark the show was.

JL/JLU showed Superman in both positive and negative lights - he played peace maker when he had to (The Enemy Below), he truly believed in a united team of heroes dedicated to tackling disasters too big even for him (Secret Origins), but he was not immune to manipulation and/or paranoia (Only A Dream, Secret Society, For The Man Who Has Everything, Cadmus arc), sometimes even his hatred of his enemies clouded his judgment (Twilight of the Gods, Clash), he tried to help a fellow alien assimilate to Earth culture (Comfort & Joy), he refused to give up even when he was cut off from his powers (Hereafter Part 2, Starcrossed arc), ultimately he thwarted Lex Luthor's plans to drive him completely insane - thus recreating an effect from a parallel universe that would have given Luthor a proverbial last laugh - by refusing to kill him even after it appeared he'd killed Flash (Cadmus arc), he supported his friends when they needed him to (Paradise Lost), etc. Once he even managed to solve a mystery that proved one of his allies had been framed for mass murder (In Blackest Night).

Season 1 of YJ pretty much defined Superman by his refusal to talk to Superboy and the writers refused to examine how he felt and why he felt the way he did with any kind of depth beyond having him scream "I'm not his father!" like a kid who doesn't want to go to school, essentially reducing Superman to a cameo and a prop. While Batman had more than enough screen time to give you the feeling that he is who he's supposed to be - gruff, gravelly, stern, stoic but still capable of kindness & compassion - Superman did not, which resulted in scenes such as saving a bus full of kids Reeve-style and acting as the JLA's seemingly good natured spokesman falling flat since his barely there characterization doesn't register the heroic nobility and compassion typically associated him. His "good job kid" moment to Superboy at the end of "Auld Acquaintance" and their few moments in "Alienated" don't pull at the heart-strings the way they should since YJ's Superman never comes across as someone Superboy should actually care about, let alone like, beyond plot contrivance. And why should the audience care about Superman, beyond 70 some years of publication history, when the show's own writers don't care enough about Superman to invest any time in him? Even Superman yelling at the aliens from "Alienated" to run for their lives fails to live up to the legend of the Man of Steel when stacked against the predominantly negative image season 1 cultivated around him. In essence, he really is just a special effect. Aquaman and the Barry Allen Flash feel more fleshed out than him, and the latter appears even less (of course they're not hiding from clones).

A more compelling story could have easily been made from Superman trying to teach Superboy the value of empathy and compassion as the two learn how to coexist, but that probably would have taken too much time away from the awkward yet sacred Superboy/Ms. Martian subplot. As much as I enjoyed past works by Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-Man) I find myself hoping he doesn't get the tap to be show-runner on a future solo Superman series (and you know they're probably kicking one around to cash in on next year's Man of Steel).

The one thing I will agree to is that YJ's design of Superman is better looking than his JL/JLU design. That's pretty much the only thing YJ's Superman has over JL/JLU Superman. But for heart and soul JL/JLU's Superman still trumps YJ's Superman.
    I agree with you, that's why for me the DCAU superman is the best.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Please utilize the Edit Button in the Future.

TheFlash4444 is offline "Babe you rock."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok first that's way too much to quote and second I don't agree as we haven't gotten time to see what the YJ version of Superman is like. I personally no matter which way you put it didn't like JLU's versions of Clark or Diana in fact they made me dislike them. So far I've gotten a bit from YJ's Clark and Diana and I like them better already. They are more true to who Superman and Wonder Woman are to me and that's why I love them and their designs are better in my humble opinion. Nonetheless I respect your opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlash4444 View Post
    Ok first that's way too much to quote and second I don't agree as we haven't gotten time to see what the YJ version of Superman is like. I personally no matter which way you put it didn't like JLU's versions of Clark or Diana in fact they made me dislike them. So far I've gotten a bit from YJ's Clark and Diana and I like them better already. They are more true to who Superman and Wonder Woman are to me and that's why I love them and their designs are better in my humble opinion. Nonetheless I respect your opinion.
    That's fine. But I still don't get a heroic vibe from YJ's Superman for pretty much all the reasons I've listed, and I still don't think he'll ever really factor into the show importantly beyond having a recognizable insignia on his shirt.

Don't get much of a heroic vibe from this show's Wonder Woman either, but watching her give Batman a hard time over Robin was fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's fine. But I still don't get a heroic vibe from YJ's Superman
    So trying to save those Kroloteans, failing, and looking rather broken-hearted about it wasn't heroic? Or saving the school bus? Or taking down giant, deadly plants?

Oh, right, he's not being Jesus Christ in underoos. We can't have that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.O.D.O.K. View Post
    So trying to save those Kroloteans, failing, and looking rather broken-hearted about it wasn't heroic? Or saving the school bus? Or taking down giant, deadly plants?

Oh, right, he's not being Jesus Christ in underoos. We can't have that.
    I'm not asking for Jesus Christ in underoos (I actually hate that) but so much emphasis was placed on him wanting nothing to do with Superboy throughout season 1 that it sucks a lot of the sincerity out of what should be heroic efforts, reducing the few scenes showing Superman in action to flash-in-the-pan lip service heroism, which makes him feel less like a hero and more like a guy punching the time clock at work.

And for the record we don't actually see Supes being upset about the Kroloteans dying, we're left having to take Superboy's word for it.
    Last edited by JTMarsh; 12-26-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not asking for Jesus Christ in underoos (I actually hate that) but so much emphasis was placed on him wanting nothing to do with Superboy throughout season 1 that it sucks a lot of the sincerity out of what should be heroic efforts, reducing the few scenes showing Superman in action to flash-in-the-pan lip service heroism, which makes him feel less like a hero and more like a guy punching the time clock at work.
    I don't know. I tend to separate a superhero's personal issues and "job" most of the time. I'm probably one of the few that didn't consider him a monster for not wanting anything to do with Superboy, and he was kinda justified in the way he didn't want him as a son, since they end up becoming "brothers" anyway. One problem I DID have was how he was warming up to Conner only to miss out on that five years later, and have it full-fledged by the time he leaves with the others.

We're probably kinda get off-topic considering the thread's topic, so I'll agree to disagree.

ganon51 is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest I was never really a fan of how disproportionate both designs are (or the non-existent eyes). I prefer the slimmer, sleeker designs he had in features like "Crisis On 2 Earths", "Doom", even YJ (which are really all the same design slightly modified across each one and with a different actor).
    How was STAS's superman design disproportionate again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ganon51 View Post
    How was STAS's superman design disproportionate again?
    His STAS/JL/JLU designs come with arms and a chest that are considerably larger than his legs, to the point that it's surprising he can stand and/or walk.

ganon51 is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    His STAS/JL/JLU designs come with arms and a chest that are considerably larger than his legs, to the point that it's surprising he can stand and/or walk.
    He looked fine here:

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF...ueen/Pan04.jpg and
    http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF...s/demon/39.jpg
    http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Queen.png
    http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF...ingtime/20.jpg
    http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF...emories/07.jpg
    In general his STAS design was more proportionate than his JL/U.
    Last edited by ganon51; 08-06-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3