toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What is your favorite animated version of Lex Luthor

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Favorite Animated Version of Lex Luthor

Like This Thread!

New Adventures of Superman (1966-1970) voiced by- Ray Owens

Super Friends (1978-1986) voiced by- Stan Jones

Superman (1988) voiced by- Michael Bell

DCAU (1996-2006) voiced by- Clancy Brown

The Batman (2007) voiced by- Clancy Brown

Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2011) voiced by- Kevin Michael Richardson

Young Justice (2011- ) voiced by- Mark Rolston

Superman: Brainiac Attacks (2006) voiced by- Powers Boothe

Superman Doomsday (2007) voiced by- James Marsters

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009) voiced by- Clancy Brown

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010) voiced by- Chris Noth

All-Star Superman (2011) voiced by- Anthony LaPaglia

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Probably All-Star Superman. I feel like the movie really captured his genius and character. He also got the most character development out of all the cartoon Luthors.

The one from Superman: Doomsday was good too. James Marsters did an excellent job voicing him, and he was really cold-hearted and calculating. The guy straight up killed Mercy, to shut her up, even though she was clearly a loyal mook. And it was really interesting how he showed the most emotion was when he was beating on Superman. I also really liked that he thought that Doomsday didn't earn the right to kill the Man of Steel, since he was just a thoughtless killing machine. Now that I think about it this one might be my favourite.

Luthor in the DCAU was pretty good. It was also my first exposure to him. I liked how we saw him change a lot during the DCAU, but his character was always consistent. We saw him go from highly regarded business man, to a super-villain with an exo-suit and cancer, 'reform' and run for President, then merge with Brainiac, and finally team-up with the Legion of Doom and take on Darkseid.

The Luthor from Brave and the Bold, was so zany and ridiculous, much like everything else on that show. KMR did a great job voicing him, I think that voice really suited that Luthor. And I just realized this means that KMR voiced both the Joker and Lex Luthor.

The Luthor from The Batman was forgettable. Which is kinda expected since he was only in 2 episodes.

The one in Brainiac Attacks was just annoying, just like the movie. And I haven't seen any of the cartoon before S:TAS so I can't comment on those incarnations.

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DCAU Lex definitely

Second All Star Superman Lex
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. DCAU - Clancy Brown owns this character, I loved his evolution as a character from S:TAS to JLU. Initially I had problems with the design, I thought he was too big and his skin was to dark but they perfected it in JLU. Clancy Brown also got better as time wen't on and provided such a great foil to Superman and the League. All in all this Luthor had the most time to develop and is the most well rounded animated version.

2. Superman: Doomsday - This is by far the most menacing Luthor and James Marsters did a brilliant job of conveying that. You never new what this Luthor was going to do, weather is what murdering his assistant or creating a fake Superman just so head could beat it up, He was flipping crazy! But my main complaint is the design, I didn't hate it but he was just a little to tall and skinny, and that completely white suit and high heal shoes didn't help that.

3. All-Star Superman - This Lex was good and LaPaglia did a fine job portraying him but he just didn't stand out the me like the other two did.

Well there you have it my top 3 animated Lex Luthors.

Gravitea is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My favourite version of Lex Luthor would have to be the DCAU version. I really liked how they blended both his mad scientist and suave businessman and made it work quite well. I also liked how his character evolved from S:TAS to JLU. I enjoyed Clancy Brown's voice acting.

My second-favourite would have to be All-Star Superman. One scene that grabbed my attention would be the fact that he told Clark Kent that he likes him because he's more human than Superman; like how Kent was quite clumsy. Enjoyed his voice acting as well.

I enjoyed The Batman's version of Lex Luthor as well; and the fact that he was voice by Clancy Brown again made it great.

I liked both Superman: Doomsday and Super/ Batman: Public Enemies versions of Luthor. For the Superman: Doomsday version, I liked how it showed that he just doesn't understand why Superman would just help mankind without any ill intentions. For Public Enemies I liked his schemes and his madness.

As for the others I can't really say much as I'm not really familiar with them.
    From one choice, a universe is created...

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Clancy Brown IS Lex Luthor - he had the charisma, the menace, ego, the intellectual aspiration, everything.

But James Marsters, Mark Rolston and Anthony Lapalgia all gave good performances too, and special not to Chris Noth as the heroic Lex of another world.

Powers Boothe... might have been a good Lex if he hadn't gone for that awful Gene Hackman impersonation.

ganon51 is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DCAU of course! Hands down! Like those above me have said, Clancy Brown IS Lex Luthor, and his character arguably showed the most development of any character in the entire DCAU, along with Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Laugh Anyway View Post
    1. DCAU - Clancy Brown owns this character, I loved his evolution as a character from S:TAS to JLU. Initially I had problems with the design, I thought he was too big and his skin was to dark but they perfected it in JLU. Clancy Brown also got better as time wen't on and provided such a great foil to Superman and the League. All in all this Luthor had the most time to develop and is the most well rounded animated version.
    Too dark, lol. I remember my friends thought he was black in STAS because of that. At the end of the DCAU he resembled Billy Zane. As for Clancy Brown getting better, I never noticed his voice develop, only his character lol.

TheGreatOne2 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You forgot about Steven Jay Blum as Lex Luthor in Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox Laugh Anyway

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No he didn't, this thread was made almost two years ago so that option wouldn't have been available.

SF4Ever is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As much as everyone is high up on Clancy Brown(fellow Ohio native)'s portrayal of Lex Luthor on Warner Bros. Animation's incarnation of both Superman as well as Justice League, personally, I'd have to put him a close second, to Stanley Jones' portrayal of Lex Luthor on the long-running Superfriends series from Hanna-Barbera. Ray Owens' portrayal of Luthor on Filmation's Superman series from the late 60's, gets an honorable mention and 3rd place. That's just my take on this.
    Like it or not, I never apologize for being a fan of whomever they may be.

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
    DCAU Lex definitely

Second All Star Superman Lex
    Totally agree with you on that --- They're my top 2 as well. I also liked Clancy Brown's return as Lex on The Batman, but I really did not care for James Marster's Lex in Superman: Doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by ganon51 View Post
    DCAU of course! Hands down! Like those above me have said, Clancy Brown IS Lex Luthor...
    Yup!

Too dark, lol. I remember my friends thought he was black in STAS because of that. At the end of the DCAU he resembled Billy Zane. As for Clancy Brown getting better, I never noticed his voice develop, only his character lol.
    I'm not sure what Clancy Brown's racial heritage descends from, but I believe the design of Lex Luthor in the DCAU is based on actor Telly (Kojak) Savalas, who is Greek. By the way, Billy Zane is also Greek and I for one think he'd make a great Lex Luthor if they cast him in the role (like maybe in the Man of Steel sequel?)

Neo-god is offline Moonrider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All Star Superman, definitely. The best Luthor is one that can be redeemed and isn't just eeeevil.

coluanprime is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For me it would be a tie between Clancy Brown and the Young Justice Lex. The YJ one was perfect as the manipulator. There is a quote where Superman says "Lex always was a people person, he was a manipulator at heart" and this really comes through in this version. We also saw a lot of his business side as well as his political influence. The Clancy Brown Lex was and always will be my original and he was such a fun (if evil, slimy, and downright destructive) character and while we didn't get to see as much manipulation/interaction in this version we did get to see that he always had a backup plan and it was nice to see him as a straight up villain.
    "Despite all logic, my feelings for you short-lived, small-brained, foolish idiots are sufficient that I have chosen to spend my life among you, instead of on my own world where my intellect would be suitable honored... because you truly are my friends.
    Stop Sniffling"
    -Brainiac 5
    (Legion of Super Heroes, Vol 6, Issue 11, May 2011)