toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Fan Beyond View Post
    I am curious why a DTV featuring The Flash wasn't mentioned as either a project being considered or cancelled, especially when so many imagined him to be the favored character to follow-up Green Lantern with his own feature. Could it be that there's still a chance that the Scarlet Speedster may still be developed?
    I really don't understand this one; The Flash has seemingly been viewed as poison to the stand alone television and film projects. Is it some kind of bad after taste from the 90's TV series? I didn't think the TV series was *that* bad.

Flash is more action packed and colorful than most of DC's properties; it's designed to be an adrenaline rush that could keep people on the edge of their seat. But Flash seems to be viewed as poison. I just don't get it.

theRedDeath is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Depending on the success of the live-action GL movie, WB is undoubtedly planning on eventually doing a live-action Flash movie. And once that get's green-lit, THAT'S when they'll do an animated Flash movie. Just like how "First Flight" was done right after they announced they were doing the Live Action GL movie.

So I imagine the reason there's not even any talk of a Flash movie, is because they're intentionally withholding it for later.

I'm absolutely heartbroken about them canceling the Aquaman movie though. I was totally looking forward to that.

---

Dreyfus is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Geoff Johns has stated that he's already written a script treatment for a Flash movie.

Naninou is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, what i want to say to DC comics and WB. about this would get me banned.

Really, i didn't even know about Batgirl Year one as an animated project, so as a huge fan of the Timm/Dini DCAU Batgirl/Barbara Gordon, this was a really sweet way of finding that one out, NOT.
    I know this is all just popculture and showbuisness, but it really sucks when these companies pull tricks like this. This is why you don't count your chickens untill they are hatched, and showing us the eggs you just crushed is a [bad] move.

Oh and in case anyone who had a hand in the choice to drop Batgirl Year One is reading this: In case you didn't notice, there's a 'Batgirl' parody in the spotlight at the moment, so if you guys at DC and WB. EVER had the chance to cash in and use Batgirl for marketing, this was it....
    Hit-Girl totally owned the Batgirl from the movies, and a Batgirl origin story would also have been a great way to finally fix a little of the mistakes Joel Schumacher and Akiva Goldsman made back in 1997 regarding the Batgirl character.

All us Batgirl fans can now only hope that by some fantastic miracle Christopher Nolan changes his brilliant but stubborn mind about not using Batgirl in his movies!

...untill then, in the words of the cute, adorable, deadly Hit-Girl:

Show's over!

Mod Note: Inappropriate language removed.

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Revolution View Post
    It seems to me that a Wonder Woman movie could make an impression. A Wonder Woman ORIGIN STORY is what failed. It should be noted that the only other sales disappointment in the DCU line was Green Lantern: First Flight, another origin story (and a somewhat redundant one at that, given that Green Lantern's origin was given plenty of screentime in The New Frontier).
    Sorry, but I think that's semantic hair-splitting that's not the root cause of the disappointing results of either movie. If it were true, then there is no reason why Batman Begins or Iron Man should have done well at the box office, since they were both marketed as pretty conventional origin story movies. The innovations they had were only evident if you watched them.

Quote Originally Posted by seryass View Post
    I would hope that if he is allowed to make the announcements it would most likely be at the SDCC.
    Under the Red Hood is due out at the end of July, right around SDCC. If things hold to form, we'll know what the next film is about a month in advance of that, since that's when the DVD marketing machine will start up.

I think WB marketing is impatient, short-sighted, and bass-ackwards about a lot of these decisions, but they're the ones with the checkbook and you know the golden rule (he who has the gold makes the rules). I'm more concerned about creative burnout under the kind of creative constraints that they're under, but I guess we'll see.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, this is kind of sad news. I understand that these were mostly just stories and ideas shot down before they got into heavy production for them, but it's still a kind of a shame that these projects probably won't happen. A DTV on Batgirl would have been really cool to see. I haven't seen the GL or Wonder Woman movies, so I can't be disappointed that they won't get sequels.

I do like the idea of a return to Batman Beyond though. They already have a ton of focus on Batman in their other DTV, but it would be a bit different. Even though Epilogue and Return of the Joker could serve as good finales for the storyline, if they had an idea of how to handle Terry finding out that Bruce is his biological father, that would be pretty interesting.

I do agree that the DC DTV movies tend to focus more on Batman/Superman/Justice League than most of their other characters. Though, they are in this business to make a profit, so it's understandable, in a business sense, that they would want to focus on characters that have worked well with them before. It doesn't change the fact that they haven't been too open to broaden their horizon in what to focus on. The idea that the Wonder Woman movie didn't do well enough because it was a female superhero is a seriously weak and poor argument.

supergirl's pal is offline Give us a SBFF Animated Series
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm disappointed too that we won't be seeing a Wonder Woman sequel or Batgirl: Year One. WHV does know that Batman and Robin played major roles in Batgirl: Year One, right?

I just hope this does not eliminate or limit Supergirl's chances to appear in any future DC DTVs. Maybe we might see our favorite female superheroes appear in those Showcase shorts instead?

adoptedBatpuppy is offline Confidence is the Key
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I read this interview the news on mass cancellation of what sounds like decent DC universe animated movies, if done right, at first dissapointed me very much. But then I thought about this and I agree with Link1130 and Toddmann views on this. It's not a big deal. This interview was written from a negative perspective.
    Of course I would have loved to see Batgirl: Year One, Teen Titans: Judas Contract, the sequel to Wonder Woman, but as fans we don't have the right to decide what goes on the production table of WB. We can only discuss DTVs'/catrooons/movies as they air and give our suggestions.
    However, I 'm excited for the prospect of Terry coming back in Batman Beyond, the new DC cartoons including Young Justice and what I hope would be Green Lantern Corps.
    I can't wait for Bruce Timm to unveil new projects he is working on.
    I would not be surprised to hear that he is retiring from animation alltogether and passing the torch on to somebody new!

theRedDeath is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedBatpuppy View Post
    but as fans we don't have the right to decide what goes on the production table
    Yes we do. Of course we do. We're the only ones who do. It's the democracy of cash. The fans absolutely are the ones who decide what studios should do.

It's just there's a silent majority out there that is completely agreeing with WB's take on this, and just us message boarders who are complaining.

---

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedBatpuppy View Post
    This interview was written from a negative perspective.
    How is that possible? The questions weren't leading questions, to my eyes, and Timm himself hasn't gone out to say that the interview misquoted him or took his statements out of context (and he has a number of avenues to say so if that's what he thought). It's an interview that has answers which happen to be negative, but it didn't seem like roundtable was fishing for any of those kinds of negative responses.

It's an interview with negative answers, but that doesn't make it a negative interview. I also think it might be a bit too easy for fans to project their own frustrations onto Timm's words, but he's always struck me as the kind of guy who would rather focus on what he can do rather than what he can't. I'm sure he's not too happy over some of these cancellations, too, but he's been doing this long enough to know that's how it goes sometimes and to move on. Otherwise, he would have left BTAS when BS&P told him, "No, you can't show Robin's parents getting killed on camera."

It dawns on me that the shorts program seems a bit high and dry after some of these revelations. I always thought that the DC Showcase shorts program was started at least partially to get some of the lesser-knowns on screen to see how the audience responds, with an eye towards giving them a DTV of their own if the reaction is positive enough. If a DTV for Aquaman, who has name recognition if nothing else, can get canned because marketing doesn't think he'll sell, what chance is there for characters like Swamp Thing, Adam Strange, the Spectre, or anyone else who isn't Superman or Batman?
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Callonme is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still can't understand why WHV won't just put out a project that features Batman or Superman in supporting roles (Batgirl Year One) or produce double features that have a 40-minute Batman/Superman film and a 40-minute film starring another character. Is their belief that the presence of another character negates the sales potential of Batman and Superman? I don't see how it's possible that a DVD that has Batman/Batgirl as the title as opposed to Batman would push sales in a negative direction. Perhaps they are not even thinking in these terms, but the shorts program and the anthology projects suggest that they have looked at other means of bringing a variety of characters to the screen.

Toddman is offline Hulk not good with words.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    How is that possible? The questions weren't leading questions, to my eyes, and Timm himself hasn't gone out to say that the interview misquoted him or took his statements out of context (and he has a number of avenues to say so if that's what he thought). It's an interview that has answers which happen to be negative, but it didn't seem like roundtable was fishing for any of those kinds of negative responses.

It's an interview with negative answers, but that doesn't make it a negative interview. I also think it might be a bit too easy for fans to project their own frustrations onto Timm's words, but he's always struck me as the kind of guy who would rather focus on what he can do rather than what he can't. I'm sure he's not too happy over some of these cancellations, too, but he's been doing this long enough to know that's how it goes sometimes and to move on. Otherwise, he would have left BTAS when BS&P told him, "No, you can't show Robin's parents getting killed on camera."
    I could be wrong, but I think adoptedBatpuppy may have been refering to the Comicvine.com news story that the OP had linked in the first post. Because while that article does link to the original Timm interview, the recounting of the content of that interview most definitely has a negative slant:

Geez… and I thought all those direct-to-video DC animated movies were doing great. Bruce Timm recently told ThinkMcFlyThink.com that a number of such projects have been canceled due to the under-performance of GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT and the WONDER WOMAN movie. The latter’s performance was so underwhelming, in fact....blah, blah, blah.
    Really just using the word "canceled" both in the article's title and four more times after that has an obviously negative connotation. In the original interview, Timm didn't use the word at all.

Toddman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Im so tired of Superman and Batman movies, I was excitied that we would have other DC heroes explored but cant say that I am surprised that a lot of them have been cancelled. Its only theWBs fault since all they ever focus on is S/B. But WW and GL didnt do bad.

b.t. is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddman View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think adoptedBatpuppy may have been refering to the Comicvine.com news story that the OP had linked in the first post. Because while that article does link to the original Timm interview, the recounting of the content of that interview most definitely has a negative slant:

Really just using the word "canceled" both in the article's title and four more times after that has an obviously negative connotation. In the original interview, Timm didn't use the word at all.

Toddman
    BINGO.

for the record, there IS a bit of paraphrasing, mis-quoting and out-of-contexting going on here -- for example, keep in mind that the "exclusive interview" that started this whole brouhaha is in fact NO SUCH THING, but instead an edited transcript of a panel at last week's Calgary Comics Expo, me responding to questions from a whole GROUP of people in the audience, not a "one-on-one" interview with a single reporter

while the facts as reported are basically true (no aquaman, judas contract or wonder woman sequel movies coming anytime soon, etc) the "glass-half-empty" spin is something the reporter himself brought to the table, and has been exaggerated and exacerbated upon subsequent re-tellings, including the alarmist title of this very thread -- i mean, come on: "mass cancellation" sounds like one of those monday morning massacre situations, as if an angry knee-jerking exec called up one day yelling "shut down everything that doesn't have batman in it!" -- whereas actually each of these projects came and went months and sometimes YEARS apart from each other

Naninou is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b.t. View Post
    BINGO.

for the record, there IS a bit of paraphrasing, mis-quoting and out-of-contexting going on here -- for example, keep in mind that the "exclusive interview" that started this whole brouhaha is in fact NO SUCH THING, but instead an edited transcript of a panel at last week's Calgary Comics Expo, me responding to questions from a whole GROUP of people in the audience, not a "one-on-one" interview with a single reporter

while the facts as reported are basically true (no aquaman, judas contract or wonder woman sequel movies coming anytime soon, etc) the "glass-half-empty" spin is something the reporter himself brought to the table, and has been exaggerated and exacerbated upon subsequent re-tellings, including the alarmist title of this very thread -- i mean, come on: "mass cancellation" sounds like one of those monday morning massacre situations, as if an angry knee-jerking exec called up one day yelling "shut down everything that doesn't have batman in it!" -- whereas actually each of these projects came and went months and sometimes YEARS apart from each other
    ok....

I just hope you got my little tip about how Hit-Girl's instant popularity might be something to think about in relation to whether or or not a Batgirl movie could be done.
    Though i don't think anyone wants to see a killer Batgirl using the 'C' word, wich is one of the reasons why Hit-Girl is the star of the Kick-Ass film, but i will never stop believing that, with some really good writing, a movie about how Barbara Gordon becomes Batgirl could really work.

I imagined a "Batgirl Begins" from the moment i saw Jim Gordon's daughter in Nolan's TDK, and when you twist and turn a bit around what you guys have done in BTAS, wich is to make the rise of Batgirl more directly related to the fact that she's a Gordon.

I would settle for a Batgirl: Year One based on the book though... If they would keep the look and style of the book, because next to BTAS and TNBA, Year One is the cutest incarnation of Barbara Gordon i have ever seen.

One of the reasons i loved your incarnation of the Batgirl character was because she was NOT the stereotype 'big breasts, tall and muscular' type female heroine like WonderWoman, but a more down-to-earth girl with a cute face, petite form, and a friendly charm. A real heroine, and not some walking man-dream in a bathingsuit.

I know i'm probably slightly naive about this from a buisness point of view, but i just don't see the harm in doing a Batgirl movie knowing that it's probably gonna be a small succes.
    I also can't imagine that, with the hype around the Nolan films and the waiting period for the next chapter in his Bat-series, an animated Batgirl feature would not sell better then the WonderWoman film.
    A film that focusses on Batgirl, but does have Batman as a mentor really is something to consider...

...specially when you have Nicholas Cage doing the voice of Batman, and Chloe Moretz as Batgirl, and have the Bat-signal be in the shape of a giant... bat.

Paul_Cousins is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianinvader View Post
    Make no mistake. I think whoever said a DTV is worthless if it has a woman on it should be fired -- actually, thrown in JAIL for being such a freaking pig.

But Catwoman would be a sales disaster. Everybody still remembers the movie and would avoid it. It'll be a long time before she can be used again.
    Not necessarily. If they did a Gotham City Sirens movie (Catwoman, Harley and Ivy teaming up, with the Riddler playing a support role) that would be a hit.

WB needs to understand that this nation is in a depression right now. Breaking even with a little profit is a good thing is this economic environment.

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naninou View Post
    ok....

I just hope you got my little tip about how Hit-Girl's instant popularity might be something to think about in relation to whether or or not a Batgirl movie could be done.
    What's to think about? Kick Ass isn't exactly doing gangbusters in fact it's fallen pretty quickly. If anything that just solidifies WB's stance when it comes to what they want made or not.

ShadowDemon is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would like to thank Mr Timm for coming in and correcting the record on the issue of the interview and it's presentation. I'll make sure to repost his correction in other places I've talked about this issue.

greenfront is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They should just call the Batgirl DTV "Batman: The Rise of Batgirl"... marketing problem solved.

young101 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This thread seriously needs to be renamed. Its just a simple fact that there are projects that partly go into the development process and wb decides to not go through with them. Mass cancellation is a bit too harsh of terms.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast