toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on "Menace of the Conqueror Caveman!"

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll

6 23.08%
  • **** 1/2

3 11.54%

4 15.38%
  • *** 1/2

7 26.92%

2 7.69%
  • ** 1/2

0 0%

2 7.69%
  • * 1/2

0 0%

1 3.85%
  • 1/2

1 3.85%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Batman: The Brave And The Bold "Menace of the Conqueror Caveman!" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Episode #17 - Menace of the Conqueror Caveman!
    Original Airdate - May 15th, 2009
    In this episode, 31st Century Booster Gold travels back 100 centuries to join Batman and become a celebrity hero. In his quest for fame, he unwittingly enables the immortal tyrant Vandal Savage to carry out his nefarious plot of turning everyone into cavemen and take over the world! This week’s teaser gives you a first look at Bane as he takes on Wildcat and Batman.

Comments?

Note: Talkback delay due to server error.
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

warnerbroman is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the ending made me laugh so hard

Kazuya Prower is offline Keeping it Tails since 2005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really loving this episode so far. Brave and the Bold Bane was sweet and Booster Gold is comic gold (no pun intended).

asphaltviking64 is offline High Inquisitor of soup
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't actually like this Booster Gold compared to the Booster Gold of "The Greatest Story Never Told." This Booster was too one sided and barely had any character development. I understand that this B:B&tB is designed to be cornier and faker than JLU, but JLU made Booster Gold feel more sympathetic to the audience, despite his egotistical tendencies you could actually feel for him. This Booster Gold was much more of a comic relief than JLU's and it was a setback for his character.
    The jokes were funny as always, like the origin of his powers *breaks open 24th century superhero costume*, and running into the future Vandal Savage (was this really Vandal Savage?), but he was too quick to jump to Skeets's help, and their friendship wasn't as tested as "Greatest Story Never Told." Nevertheless, Bane + Wildcat were great, as was Booster's glory seeking gags.
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    If Death Note is a teen dark comedy then Monty Python And The Holy Grail is a serious drama faithful to Arthurian legend.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This episode was kinda funny, but Booster Gold is beyong annoying, and he deserves to get beat up.

The caveman was a tough foe, though.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

HEATXZ is offline Duck Knght
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome episode :anime:
    Booster Gold and Skeets were great
    and Punch and Jewelee got animated
    Greatest Funniest Character nominations ,Feel free to visit my Toonzone Blog

Strong Suck is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got a line for you naysayers: "This stinks." - Booster Gold.

Still, I guess this episode shouldn't be a total loss. At least now, Krull knows who Booster Gold IS before he even BECAME a Time-Travelling Hero. It might end up making an archnemesis out of Krull, for Booster Gold.

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another episode, this one featuring Booster Gold... so-so, but with some funny moments. This makes the first time I've seen Gold animated (didn't watch JLU, disliking JL, so missed his appearance there)...

Liked seeing Wildcat make a return appearance in the teaser, plus the first appearance in this show of Bane...

Yes, another episode means it's also time for everyone's favorite bit of my posts:

Old-but-amusing Comic Trivia

BANE: A supervillain who gains enhanced strength from a substance called "Venom" (not to be confused with Spider-Man's foe) pumped into his body, Bane first appeared in "Batman: Vengeance of Bane" #1 in 1993, and was created by Doug Moench (IIRC a Batman writer in the 80s and 90s), Graham Nolan and Chuck Dixon (a current-day Batman writer). His most famous comics usage is as the villain who broke Batman's back (crippling him----until he "got better" of course) in the early 90s "Knightfall" storyline. He since got used in the 90s Batman cartoon series, plus the dreadful "Batman and Robin" live-action film.

BOOSTER GOLD:
    Booster Gold first appeared in "Booster Gold" #1 in 1986, and was created by 90s Superman comics writer Dan Jurgens. Booster's noteworthy for being the first major new character created by DC after "Crisis on Infinite Earths" (but just before the Byrne reboot of Superman, resulting in some oddities in his '86 miniseries, such as the pre-Crisis Jimmy Olsen showing up in an early issue---working for Galaxy Broadcasting, who owned the Daily Planet in 70s and early 80s stories---but meeting the Byrne-Superman later on in the run).

As we saw tonight, Booster was usually portrayed as a glory- and money-seeking person trying to use his futuretech/knowledge to become a "hero". His origin: after a failed football career in 25th century Gotham City, he wound up a security guard at a museum displaying artifacts from the 20th century's superhero era. Getting the idea of going back in time to become a hero himself during said era, Booster swipes various objects from the museum (including a Legion of Super-Heroes flight ring and forcefield belt---not sure who they were to have belonged to... the pre-Crisis Superboy [somehow] or a time-travelling Brainiac 5 I've seen as suggested answers), plus an old time machine, and travels back to the present to, well, do what we saw tonight. He'd later join the JLA's goofy-but-funny late 80s incarnation, where he partners with Blue Beetle (Ted Kord version) in various money-making hijinks (to teammate Batman's eternal annoyance). Current comics (unsurprisingly) show Booster much less light-hearted...

PUNCH and JEWELEE: A pair of minor criminals who mostly fought Captain Atom, the two were originally published by Charleton Comics in the 60s (first appearing in Captain Atom's book in 1967), and bought by DC along with Captain Atom, Blue Beetle and the rest of Charleton's superhero properties in the 80s. Far as I know of, there's no interactions with Batman in the comics. The two were created by Steve Ditko (the co-creator of Spider-Man).

VANDAL SAVAGE/"KRULL THE ETERNAL"/KING KULL:
    OK, this one's an odd one---all the previews promised Vandal Savage (DC's main "immortal caveman villain"), but instead we got "Krull the Eternal", who in this episode is a mix of Vandal Savage's immortal-caveman shtick and King Kull's look/personality. So I guess I'll cover both these guys:

Vandal Savage is a villainous caveman who about 50,000 years ago was exposed to a strange meteor's rays, which made him immortal. He's since plagued humanity over the eons, including supposedly passing himself off as various historical figures (Genghis Khan, Cheops, etc.---though given the huge # of DC Comics that use these figures in stories, this might be dubious), before eventually in the 1940s (as part of the Injustice Society) fighting the Justice Society. Pre-Crisis, Savage lived on Earth-Two (but eventually moved to Earth-One in the 80s, where he plagued Superman), and appeared in the second Silver Age appearance of Jay Garrick (the Golden Age Flash), the story that saw the JSA come out of retirement. Savage's main skills are, uh, being immortal (and the knowledge built up during that time) and his scientific/intellectual skills. Savage first appeared in "Green Lantern" (volume 1) #10 in 1943, and was created by Alfred Bester (a science fiction writer who worked for DC for a time) and Martin Nodell (the co-creator of the first Green Lantern).

King Kull was an enemy of Captain Marvel, and first appeared in "Captain Marvel Adventures" #125 in 1951. Kull was in prehistoric times the ruler of a brutish-but-technically-advanced race that ruled humanity until they were overthrown. Kull went into suspended animation and emerged in the present, where he threatened the Marvel Family (Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, and Captain Marvel Junior) and humanity. The only involvement with Batman would probably be the mid-1970s JLA-JSA teamup featuring Kull trying to conquer Earth-1 (home of the JLA), Earth-2 (home of the JSA), and Earth-S (the Captain Marvel/"Shazam" universe). Far as I know of, Kull hasn't made any (major) modern appearances. King Kull was created by Otto Binder (one of Captain Marvel's main Golden Age writers, he co-created Mary Marvel, Black Adam and several other characters; he eventually went to DC where he created Supergirl, among other Silver Age Superman characters like Krypto, the Phantom Zone, and Brainiac) and C.C. Beck (co-creator and main writer of Captain Marvel).

Next week:

Looks like the episode where Robin finally appears. Bye for now...

chdr is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really liked this one. Booster and Skeets were funny, and Krull was an awesome villain.

Can't wait for next week.

Anyone00 is offline The Moltar-Snork
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was great that they kept Skeets' voice of JLU.
    Joris: Your story makes me want to have a little brother, Papycha. Isn't that weird?
    Kerubim: Don't worry, Jojo. You have your whole life to meet new brothers. Some you will choose, others will ruin your life, and others still will make it worth living...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast