Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate And Comment On This Feature!

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll

37 37.00%
  • ****1/2

14 14.00%

17 17.00%
  • ***1/2

12 12.00%

3 3.00%
  • **1/2

6 6.00%

5 5.00%
  • *1/2

2 2.00%

2 2.00%
  • 1/2

2 2.00%
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    It took five years but I finally got around to watching it!

I think my favorite was perhaps Have I Got a Story for You. Nishimi Shoujirou's direction and anmation supervision was loose and fast, reminding me a lot of what Tate Naoki's work as an animation supervisor and key animator. Contrasting the animation with the layouts and art direction made for some interesting visuals, espicially with the multiple character designs for Batman. This short alone blew anything Warner Bros. has ever managed to do with Korean studios. Although, as much as I love the backgrounds I do wish they had cannibalized the background budget for highering even more key animators and boarding even better fight scenes. Still, Nishimi's vision is awesomely expansive. I'd love to see this on a big screen some day. Special shout-out to Jamie Vickers for doing key animation for the skateboard scene, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Vickers' blog post
    Batman Gotham Knight (Have I Got a Story for You) - 2007
    Directed by Shojiro Nishimi (Character Designer, and Animation Director for Tekkonkinkreet)
    Nishimi-san didn't know too much about skateboarding, and so I had almost total freedom on my shots here. Was great fun!
    -Layout, and Key Animation
    Another of my favorites was Field Test. Murata Toshiharu's character design for Bruce was absolutely awesome. It's obviously very 'beautiful man' type, but it really fits, espicially with the use of Miki Shin'ichirou for his voice. Murata also contributed to the storyboard and key animation, so I suspect many of the best still shots of Bruce talking were his work.

Speaking of which, Working Through Pain was the other of my favorites. The designs were simple and the animation was really indicative of the fact that this was another Studio 4°C segment. The flashback segments were an interesting look into how Bruce learned to deal with pain, more so than him simply trudging through the sewers.

I'd love to see another project of this scale. With how many whacky stories there are out there in the DCU you could hire a lot of different directors, designers, and animators.

Gravitea is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have I Got A Story For You: Interesting to see what each child thought of Batman.

Crossfire: Favourite short. Love the tension.

Field Test: Good short, but Bruce's design doesn't match his voice.

In Darkness Dwells: Interesting. Like Scarecrow's design.

Working Through Pain: Like the flashback.

Deadshot: Good movie. Enjoyed the battle between Batman and Deadshot.
    From one choice, a universe is created...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not only did I come across this awesome review for Gotham Knight, but in the comments section an animator who worked on the project talked about his experience.

Quote Originally Posted by LainEverliving
    Getting off that tangent and going back to ‘In Darkness Dwells,’ I actually had the opportunity to look at the storyboards for that short about a year ago. I could tell, even from that early stage, that it was going to be spectacular. The strength of those drawings was really remarkable… they just completely captivated your attention and sucked you in. Often, there wasn’t too much in the way of detail, especially in the Croc battle, but all the lines stressed just the right balance of motion, to the point where even a skeleton of the characters could tell you everything. The lines were that primary and good. And, the storyboards covered each tiny detail of that first engagement, almost like keys. Later on in the boards, there was just a ton of detail, enough to appear like a full-on comic, in the shots establishing the Scarecrow’s lair. Also, I’m not sure that it made it into the final short, but the final sewer-pipe escape sequence was just wonderfully exciting, enough to make me feel completely satisfied just from the storyboards. It took me an hour and a half just to view them all on a single pass. So, even going back to that time, it was really obvious that it was going to be good from the visual standpoint. It really stood out as among the best things I’d ever seen from a storyboarding point of view. I also got to see the early boards for ‘Deadshot,’ which had a great Yutaka Minowa look (enough that I thought he might have done them), but I have no idea if they ended up getting used. Seriously though, the ‘Deadshot’ boards were comic-book quality, ready to be bound up and printed as a stand-alone piece. All you needed were the dialogue bubbles, and it was ready to go. It’s too bad that, at least based on what you said, the final product doesn’t bare that out.
    Now I really want to see Minowa's storyboards. Gotham Knight is the most tightly produced of these direct to videos and I'm glad to see these little nuggets coming to the surface. For anyone interested in the technical side of animation, especially great projects like this, I suggest reading the above link. AniPages is a great resource.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334