toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate And Comment On This Feature!

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll

36 36.36%
  • ****1/2

14 14.14%

17 17.17%
  • ***1/2

12 12.12%

3 3.03%
  • **1/2

6 6.06%

5 5.05%
  • *1/2

2 2.02%

2 2.02%
  • 1/2

2 2.02%
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

With The Dark Knight now available on home video (talkback), there's no better time than now to look back at the anime-film inspired by the summer blockbuster!

Batman: Gotham Knight
    Release Date: July 8th, 2008
    Executive Producer: Bruce Timm
    Story by: Jordan Goldberg, Josh Olson, Greg Rucka, David Goyer, Brian Azzarello, Alan Burnett
    Directed by: Shojiro Nishimi, Futoshi Higashide, Hiroshi Morioka, Yasuhiro Aoki, Toshiyuki Kubooka, Jong-Sik Nam

Synopsis: Acclaimed screenwriters, including David Goyer (Batman Begins), Josh Olson (A History of Violence), and Alan Burnett (Batman: The Animated Series) join forces with revered animation filmmakers on six spellbinding chapters chronicling Batman's transition from novice crimefighter to The Dark Knight. These globe-spanning adventures pit Batman against the fearsome Scarecrow, the freakish Killer Croc and the unerring marksman Deadshot. Froms ome of the world's most visionary animators comes a thrilling depiction of Batman as man, myth and legend.

Comments?

Related Threads:
    -Batman: Gotham Knight DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight Feature Review (Spoilers)
    -The Dark Knight Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Dark Knight DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman "Child of Dreams" Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman "Death Mask" Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: The New Frontier Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman Doomsday Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, so please keep your posts as civil, thoughtful, relevant and insightful as possible. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material and make sure to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC! We will issue warnings if we believe it necessary.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So now that I’ve had the opportunity to watch this and The Dark Knight on Blu-ray it doesn’t seem to add up, Now the DTV doesn’t really do anything to really contradict The Dark Knight and I can get past the visuals to place it in the same universe, but it still doesn’t seem to match up right, particularly the Scarecrow segment. To me it doesn’t make sense for Scarecrow to go from Batman Begins to Batman: Gotham Knight to The Dark Knight. Given how Scarecrow appears in The Dark Knight it doesn’t really add up to me. I still really enjoy Batman: Gotham Knight but it doesn’t fit that great between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

BonyT is offline Sisyphus in Hell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    So Far as it stands GK is my favorite from the DC Universe direct to dvd series .

1. Gotham Knight

2. The New Frontier

3. Doomsday
    That's my ranking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    So now that I’ve had the opportunity to watch this and The Dark Knight on Blu-ray it doesn’t seem to add up, Now the DTV doesn’t really do anything to really contradict The Dark Knight and I can get past the visuals to place it in the same universe, but it still doesn’t seem to match up right, particularly the Scarecrow segment. To me it doesn’t make sense for Scarecrow to go from Batman Begins to Batman: Gotham Knight to The Dark Knight. Given how Scarecrow appears in The Dark Knight it doesn’t really add up to me. I still really enjoy Batman: Gotham Knight but it doesn’t fit that great between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
    Although originally envisioned as a "bridge" between BB and TDK, ultimately GK ended up being mostly just an exercise in giving some of the best up-and-coming Japanese animators a largely free hand in imagining and re-imagining Batman visually. Not everyone seems able to deal with that, but I think Batman has such mythic roots that he's easily a strong enough character to handle varied interpretations, as long as they don't violate his defining core, and I enjoyed GK thoroughly. Still, since it only loosely uses the Nolan universe as a framework for the stories, you probably shouldn't overemphasize continuity with the live-action films when viewing it.

'49 '50 '52 '53 '54 '72 '80 '82 '85 '87 '88 '00 '01 '02 '09 AND 2010 NBA WORLD CHAMPION
    LOS ANGELES LAKERS
    GREATEST FRANCHISE IN SPORTS.

Wolf Boy2 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    On a visual level, Crossfire and Deadshot make BTAS, TB and every other animated Batman look like a miserable failure. My favorite shot was the close-up on Chris's eye with the reflection of the door. AMAZING. Eyes always looked flat and terrible in the old DCAU shows and even the other DCU movies. I also liked the so-called "bishonen" Bruce Wayne in Feild Test, although I know a lot of people who hated it (including my 9-year old brothers).

I don't really think there is anything that contradicts The Dark Knight, but that's just me. I don't really care anyway. I don't even care about continuity between the shorts. I just take it as 6 short art films.
    "Since God created man, and man
    created the Transformers, the Transformers are like a gift from God!"
    --Clerks 2

FTPC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok I have nothing agaist batman or batman beyond or any other DC comics moives on Cartoon network, But Action flicks is running all there moive in to the ground period.

And yes I like the two times that I saw it on Cartoon network..

Wonderwall is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Boy2 View Post
    My favorite shot was the close-up on Chris's eye with the reflection of the door. AMAZING. Eyes always looked flat and terrible in the old DCAU shows and even the other DCU movies.
    99% of cartoons are like that, wouldn't say that makes a show's design terrible just because there's no reflection

chdr is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And it seems that GK will not be playing tonight. Batman vs. Dracula will be airing instead.

Animeforever'04 is offline Mushi-ishi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ah! how typical of cartoon network. feh!

FTPC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    and Naurto, i thought it was going to air but they showed Batman brave at the bold which is ok but it is more a 10 years old batman and it is not based on any of the books or the JLU, or None of the batman cartoons, I think some satdown and all the superfreinds cartoon and then update batman just based on that show alone, and Batman can't Punch bowling balls, if they were hurled at him by Sport fan and None of the bad guys match up with the books, I just collect marvel comics but I have satdown at a batman book or two at borders I do watch the shows but that is it as far as DC goes with no dis respect to all the hard core dc fans out there..

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellow View Post
    Why does everyone keep praising Gotham Knight? I thought that is by far the worst of them all as the stories were boring, most were drawn hideously (like Croc and Scarcrow, who did not even look like the characters), and they did nothing new to Batman. The only one I truly enjoyed was the one with Deadshot and then I liked seeing Asamiya's artstyle for one of the episodes.
    I for one liked the different Batman designs and some of the shorts. "Crossfire" I think was pretty good, giving us some insight on the detectives who aren't corrupt on GCPD but don't necessarily like Batman. The where Bruce goes to India to learn to control pain from that one lady was also pretty good. And of course the last one with Deadshot was pretty cool. In fact the only one I truly didn't like was the first one because it felt way to similar to the episode of TNBA where they had kids telling each other their encounter with Batman. It was especially jarring since they put that very episode on the Bluray.

and they did nothing new to Batman.
    A movie doesn't always to do something completely new to be entertaining. But at the same time isn't this the first anime Batman?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It took five years but I finally got around to watching it!

I think my favorite was perhaps Have I Got a Story for You. Nishimi Shoujirou's direction and anmation supervision was loose and fast, reminding me a lot of what Tate Naoki's work as an animation supervisor and key animator. Contrasting the animation with the layouts and art direction made for some interesting visuals, espicially with the multiple character designs for Batman. This short alone blew anything Warner Bros. has ever managed to do with Korean studios. Although, as much as I love the backgrounds I do wish they had cannibalized the background budget for highering even more key animators and boarding even better fight scenes. Still, Nishimi's vision is awesomely expansive. I'd love to see this on a big screen some day. Special shout-out to Jamie Vickers for doing key animation for the skateboard scene, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Vickers' blog post
    Batman Gotham Knight (Have I Got a Story for You) - 2007
    Directed by Shojiro Nishimi (Character Designer, and Animation Director for Tekkonkinkreet)
    Nishimi-san didn't know too much about skateboarding, and so I had almost total freedom on my shots here. Was great fun!
    -Layout, and Key Animation
    Another of my favorites was Field Test. Murata Toshiharu's character design for Bruce was absolutely awesome. It's obviously very 'beautiful man' type, but it really fits, espicially with the use of Miki Shin'ichirou for his voice. Murata also contributed to the storyboard and key animation, so I suspect many of the best still shots of Bruce talking were his work.

Speaking of which, Working Through Pain was the other of my favorites. The designs were simple and the animation was really indicative of the fact that this was another Studio 4°C segment. The flashback segments were an interesting look into how Bruce learned to deal with pain, more so than him simply trudging through the sewers.

I'd love to see another project of this scale. With how many whacky stories there are out there in the DCU you could hire a lot of different directors, designers, and animators.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Gravitea is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have I Got A Story For You: Interesting to see what each child thought of Batman.

Crossfire: Favourite short. Love the tension.

Field Test: Good short, but Bruce's design doesn't match his voice.

In Darkness Dwells: Interesting. Like Scarecrow's design.

Working Through Pain: Like the flashback.

Deadshot: Good movie. Enjoyed the battle between Batman and Deadshot.
    From one choice, a universe is created...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not only did I come across this awesome review for Gotham Knight, but in the comments section an animator who worked on the project talked about his experience.

Quote Originally Posted by LainEverliving
    Getting off that tangent and going back to ‘In Darkness Dwells,’ I actually had the opportunity to look at the storyboards for that short about a year ago. I could tell, even from that early stage, that it was going to be spectacular. The strength of those drawings was really remarkable… they just completely captivated your attention and sucked you in. Often, there wasn’t too much in the way of detail, especially in the Croc battle, but all the lines stressed just the right balance of motion, to the point where even a skeleton of the characters could tell you everything. The lines were that primary and good. And, the storyboards covered each tiny detail of that first engagement, almost like keys. Later on in the boards, there was just a ton of detail, enough to appear like a full-on comic, in the shots establishing the Scarecrow’s lair. Also, I’m not sure that it made it into the final short, but the final sewer-pipe escape sequence was just wonderfully exciting, enough to make me feel completely satisfied just from the storyboards. It took me an hour and a half just to view them all on a single pass. So, even going back to that time, it was really obvious that it was going to be good from the visual standpoint. It really stood out as among the best things I’d ever seen from a storyboarding point of view. I also got to see the early boards for ‘Deadshot,’ which had a great Yutaka Minowa look (enough that I thought he might have done them), but I have no idea if they ended up getting used. Seriously though, the ‘Deadshot’ boards were comic-book quality, ready to be bound up and printed as a stand-alone piece. All you needed were the dialogue bubbles, and it was ready to go. It’s too bad that, at least based on what you said, the final product doesn’t bare that out.
    Now I really want to see Minowa's storyboards. Gotham Knight is the most tightly produced of these direct to videos and I'm glad to see these little nuggets coming to the surface. For anyone interested in the technical side of animation, especially great projects like this, I suggest reading the above link. AniPages is a great resource.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17