toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on This Issue!

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll

3 60.00%
  • ****1/2

2 40.00%

0 0%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Justice League Unlimited #43 Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED #43

Written by: Keith Giffen
    Art by: Christopher Jones & Dan Davis

An untold tale of the Justice League by 52’s Keith Giffen! Meet the early Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, who want to join the League — because that’s where the big money is! They have much to learn…

Comments?

adoptedBatpuppy is offline Confidence is the Key
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That cover looks Great! Can't wait to get to my comic shop, after work!

ShadowStar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As with issue 42, I wait to hear very strong feedback before picking up this issue. I want to know if it's accessible to people that weren't fond of "The Greatest Story Never Told" (like me). I'm going to go and pick up the New Frontier special tomorrow, so I hope to hear back from people that have this issue before that.
    "Are you the dreamer or merely part of someone's dream?" - The Mad Hatter.
    B:TAS - Perchance to Dream.

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStar View Post
    As with issue 42, I wait to hear very strong feedback before picking up this issue. I want to know if it's accessible to people that weren't fond of "The Greatest Story Never Told" (like me). I'm going to go and pick up the New Frontier special tomorrow, so I hope to hear back from people that have this issue before that.
    Actually, it's a lost story for Justice League Adventures that predates "The Greatest Story Never Told". They withheld it as it may have clashed with JLU's Booster Gold. So I doubt accessibility will be an issue.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Dusty is offline Superman.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was way good, it was hilarious, also Mr. Jones does an awesome job this issue (and of course he does a great job on all the rest of his other art too,)

D.
    "Good and Great things in life are rarely ever easy... but they are worth it."

pharmmajor is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was quite good, though I was confused by the choice of villain. Couldn't they have chosen a more notorious evil team for the League to fight than the Wrecking Crew? I personally would have liked to have seen them face off against the Cadre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw this in the comic shop today but didn't buy it. I picked up the Justice League: The New Frontier special and Countdown to Final Crisis 10 (because of the Harley Quinn origin) instead. Should I have bought it? 'Cause they only get a few copies in...

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStar View Post
    Saw this in the comic shop today but didn't buy it. I picked up the Justice League: The New Frontier special and Countdown to Final Crisis 10 (because of the Harley Quinn origin) instead. Should I have bought it? 'Cause they only get a few copies in...
    As I've said, the story predates Booster's JLU appearance, so accessibility isn't really a problem.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Figaro is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was a good issue. I loved the interplay between Beetle and Booster, and Christopher Jones--as usual--did a great job.

By thy side,

Figaro
    "Sound! It's part of everything. And everything has its own sound, its own "song," if you will." --Shriek in BATMAN BEYOND #5

http://figaro-8.deviantart.com

http://www.comicsintheclassroom.net
    Check out my "Cat's Meow" column!

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay. So where were these awesome issues of Justice League Adventures back when the book was first hitting the stands?

This was a GREAT READ! So why read my review? GO PICK IT UP!

...still here? Well okay, I'll tell you how great it is, but THEN you have to go pick it up.

So Keith Giffen goes a surprising route here, by making Blue Beetle the instigator of the duo's mission of fame and fortune. I say surprising because in Booster's later appearance in JLU, he seems to have thought the plan up all by himself. The switcheroo here really gives us more of a chance to know Beetle than any of his other comic-book appearances (in JLU anyways). And since the tale only follows three of the original Leaguers (John, Bats and Diana) whose to say this story doesn't take place after Starcrossed, right when the leaders were considering who they should invite to join the expanded League?

It just works out perfectly, and that's a great thing, because continuity or no, there's such a fun rhythm to the banter in this tale, you'll want to consider it canon.

Chris Jones finally, finally gets Wonder Woman right in this issue, with several of her final panel appearances hitting the perfect mix between b.t.'s style and his own. As we've come to see in The Batman Strikes, Chris has a great talent for setting up dynamic wide angles that allow us to take in the environments and get caught up in the energy of the scene. Here, there's an especially original panel of Batman swooping down into a construction site. Given he's done this countless times during the four shows and umpteen Adventures comics he's been featured in, it's quite the accomplishment to make it feel fresh and frankly, cool. Well done Mr Jones.

If there's one draw-back to this comic, it's the way the book has been put together. I'm warning you now, so you don't get lost like I did. DC saw fit to add a bunch of pages of advertisements to the back of the book, despite the final page of the story itself being...an advertisement. You'd think they'd throw in a "The End" just to clue you in, but no. Whether or not this has anything to do with cutting the story down to twenty pages, I can't say...

...so hopefully Chris will.

And sure, maybe the villains aren't any big shakes, but Keith gives them all distinct personalities (as much as he can) and Chris outdoes himself with interesting and uniform character designs. Move over original Royal Flush Gang from issue 42. These comic creations are worth getting to know.

So, if you'd like to see how Booster and Blue Beetle might have charmed their way into the League before getting actual (non) appearances (in Beetle's case anyhow), this is your story. Nicely done.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 03-26-2008 at 03:25 PM.

adoptedBatpuppy is offline Confidence is the Key
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The issue was great, but the artwork was a bit of model on Blue Beetle, and Wonder Woman as well. Was it the way panels put together or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If the consensus with these "lost tales" continues to be this strong when issue 44 is released, I will pick them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why wait, ShadowStar? The two we've seen so far are, in my humble opinion, two of the best JLA stories, period. I only wish they'd been released with the original run of books. Thank goodness they're seeing the light of day.

So, do we know which two pages were cut from this story?

Trent Lane is offline How can that be?!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good review, DB, couldn't agree more. These last two issues were great reads, not so kiddie-esque as they have seemed to be for a while- and yes, I know this is a book aimed at kids, it's just refreshing not seeing the stories so "dumbed down", for lack of a better term... if the next one is another "lost tale", I'm really looking forward to what's in store...
    Be positive and love your life

www.facebook.com/cvcurry

Tyke is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with and love DB's review.

It's a great "prequel" story that leads to (later on) getting these two knuckleheads on the team. Go get it.

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you want to see what was cut and altered in this issue, The World's Finest has you covered. Simply click on the image below!

Comments?

Dusty is offline Superman.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool, Thanks James and Chris!
    "Good and Great things in life are rarely ever easy... but they are worth it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got the issue today. It was a fun read, but nothing special IMO. A nice little story. Wonder Woman seemed needlessly aggressive to me, and even Batman didn't feel fully dead-on, but GL was great. The art shone, of course. I didn't care for the villains, though, and I know it's nobody's fault in particular since this story predates "The Greatest Story Never Told", but Booster Gold seemed out of character. He was portrayed as something of a coward, true, but I wasn't fully convinced that it was the same character. But that's just me being nit-picky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can see where you get that from, though. As I said in my review, Beetle was the one clamoring for fame, fortune and females. If Booster had been a bit more on the same page, that might have made his later attitude in the show feel more like an extension of what we see here. On the flip side though, this story lets us see a Booster who is a bit more intimidated by the Leaguers, which also kind of fits into how he acted on the show. It's easier to like his cocky on-screen antics if you know that deep-down, he feels a bit out of his league.

As for Wonder Woman seeming needly aggressive, I don't blame that so much on her being in-character as Keith having written something subtle into the story.

I've only read the issue once, and don't have it in front of me, but I distinctly recall putting the book down and feeling irritated about Diana, and sexism, and wondering what role this issue had to play in me getting my nerves rattled a little.

Did anyone else read the story, and pick up on something there? The way GL had to hold Diana back while she was reacting to the Beetle's comments reminded me of a sort of out-dated I Love Lucy era of woman, who gets all wound up about sexist remarks, but is put in her place by the men, who just roll their eyes.

EDIT: Jim, thanks, once again, for following up on what was changed. Although, it would be cool (since we'll be in the same situation for the next issue, I'd wager) if there could also be scans of the as-printed versions of the pages, for those without the issue handy to compare with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, the "Get in line" remark from Batman and him placing a hand over her shoulder to hold her back were both... strange. Anyway, good issue.