toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sonic_Eclipse is offline Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is Batman's costume gray/blue or gray/black?

Like This Thread!
    Ok, I know Batman's costume has always been gray/blue, or gray/black, but why? I've just never really understood this color choice, isn't Batman meant to look threatening, his appearance is suppose to drive fear into his enemies and petty thugs. But what is so scary about gray/blue? I think it looks kinda goofy to be honest, don't get me wrong I love Batman, but why gray?

I've always thought Batman's colors should be black/yellow, in which it would look very close to his costume in the Tim Burton films (main color black, with yellow around the bat insignia and yellow utility belt). Or black/gray (main color black, with gray around the bat insignia and gray utility belt). I think it would look especially better in animation than the gray/blue or gray/black threads. I mean Terry's costume is mainly black, with a red bat and it looks more threatening than Bruce's costume, and it looks great!

So why is Batman's costume gray?

The Weed Of Cri is offline Smarter than you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1) Because most bats have dark colors. Lots of bats are grey or black.

2) Symbolism. Bruce Wayne chose the bat motif because bats are scary and (all together now) "criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot". Wearing black invokes images of the sinister, like Dracula and The Grim Reaper.

3) Real-world practicality. The grey bodysuit contrasts with the black/blue cape, making it easier to distinguish between Batman's body and cape when printed with 1930's printing presses.

4) Camouflage. Batman works mostly at night and dark coloration helps him hide in the shadows.

5) Pop Culture. Bob Kane ripped off Batman's signature look from Zorro and The Shadow, two crimefighters who make Batman look like a wuss.

Goldstar Neo is offline Twins + Ninjas = Twinjas!
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Also, as much as I like Batman's all black costume, it would make him hard to see during night scenes. He would disappear against the dark Gotham backgrounds.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' twisted take on the world of cartoons and all things geeky.

Sonic_Eclipse is offline Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weed Of Cri View Post
    Symbolism. Bruce Wayne chose the bat motif because bats are scary and (all together now) "criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot". Wearing black invokes images of the sinister, like Dracula and The Grim Reaper.
    All the more reason to make his costume primarily black rather than the gray.

Real-world practicality. The grey bodysuit contrasts with the black/blue cape, making it easier to distinguish between Batman's body and cape when printed with 1930's printing presses.
    Ok, I'll give you that one. Batman being all black would've been hard to do on the printing systems of the 1930s. I didn't think of that one.

Camouflage. Batman works mostly at night and dark coloration helps him hide in the shadows.
    Again, all the more reason to make his costume primarily black.

Pop Culture. Bob Kane ripped off Batman's signature look from Zorro and The Shadow, two crimefighters who make Batman look like a wuss.
    Zorro's and the Shadow's costumes are black.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstar
    Also, as much as I like Batman's all black costume, it would make him hard to see during night scenes. He would disappear against the dark Gotham backgrounds.
    Not really, Terry's costume in Batman Beyond did night scenes just fine. And it looked fantastic.

All I'm saying is a primarily black costume for Batman would be more suitable for the dark image that he's trying to represent to his enemies. Not there's anything wrong with the gray/blue or gray/black costume, I just think a costume with black as the main color works much better for Batman's character.

Harvey Two Face is offline Formerly Reiven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought his costume performed both as stealthy and intimidating because he could remain relatively unseen as well as providing an ominous presence when facing an enemy, and as said above Terry's costume was fine in BB. And anyway can anyone here imagine Bruce in a Pink and White Batman outfit?
    "See, to them, you're just a freak... like me!"
    "Let's put a smile on that face!"
    "Heads you live, tails, you die"
    "This party is pointless" "Everything's pointless, wanna go talk about it?
    "Everything you care about you destroy"
    "3 Words, Disgruntled Radioactive Clone"

I am the Night is offline I am also vengeance...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bob Kanes' original design had Batman in red costume (or just some red in it, I'm not quite sure), but he consulted with Bill Finger who suggested he change it too a blue & grey scheme. I think Bill also changed some of the other things as well; like the gloves and the mask.
    Sanity is a madness put to good use.
    ~George Santayana

Young Justice is offline Optic Blaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASAYLM View Post
    Ok, I know Batman's costume has always been gray/blue, or gray/black, but why? I've just never really understood this color choice, isn't Batman meant to look threatening, his appearance is suppose to drive fear into his enemies and petty thugs. But what is so scary about gray/blue? I think it looks kinda goofy to be honest, don't get me wrong I love Batman, but why gray?
    I think the answer is that Bruce Timm didn't want to go far from the classics. Since the classic Batman has a blue/gray or sometimes black/gray costume, they decided to go that way.

In the movie, Tim Burton didn't pay attention to the classics and re imagined the Batman costume, turning it to an all black one, which I find much more interesting. I think they did that too, because a gray/blue cloth outfit would not look cool on the screen. That idea worked so well that Nolan kept it in his reboot franchise.

In the comics, they tried that too for a while but I think it didn't hold. It was in the period just after KnightFall when Bruce just returned to being Batman. He used an all almost black costume, and looked amazing in the drawings from Kelley Jones and Graham Nolan. It was a shame that this idea was dropped afterwards.
    ===================
    Let's show Activision and Raven Software that X-Men Legends and X-Men Legends 2 deserve to be re-released in HD format for PS3 and XBox 360.

Like and Share at http://www.facebook.com/XMenLegendsHd

BonyT is offline Sisyphus in Hell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASAYLM View Post
    ... I've just never really understood this color choice, isn't Batman meant to look threatening, his appearance is suppose to drive fear into his enemies and petty thugs. But what is so scary about gray/blue?

... I've always thought Batman's colors should be black/yellow, in which it would look very close to his costume in the Tim Burton films (main color black, with yellow around the bat insignia and yellow utility belt).
    I've stated this several times, but I'll say it again --- What's with the desire for a yellow utility belt?

I mean, I realize how it no doubt actually came about. I can picture Kane and Finger looking at the black-and-gray costume they had settled on:

Finger: You know, this costume is dark and menacing and all; but he kind of ... gets lost in the panel, don't you think?
    Kane: Yeah ... yeah, I see what you mean. He needs something to sort of make him jump off the page a little bit, doesn't he?
    Finger: Maybe we could throw in a splash of color somewhere; maybe ... a nice bright yellow belt.
    Kane: Yeah -- that's it! A yellow belt! A BIG-ass yellow belt!

But when you mention things like how intimidating the costume is to criminals, you're moving beyond just the artist's/animator's concerns, and into the realm of "practical" issues (from Batman's perspective) with the costume design. And if we are taking those practical concerns into account, I can somewhat see your argument for the yellow oval around the Bat symbol: Frank Miller assigned that element the after-the-fact justification that the yellow serves as a target, because if Batman draws gunfire, he wants it to be to the one part of himself he can effectively armor without too much impeding his movement, his chest. Okay, fine. But then, please tell me, what's the "practical" rationale behind having the utility belt yellow? To draw gunfire to the groin? NOT a great "practical" plan if you ask me.

'49 '50 '52 '53 '54 '72 '80 '82 '85 '87 '88 '00 '01 '02 '09 AND 2010 NBA WORLD CHAMPION
    LOS ANGELES LAKERS
    GREATEST FRANCHISE IN SPORTS.

The Weed Of Cri is offline Smarter than you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, here's the real reason: originally, Batman's costume was all-black, but Alfred's had to bleach out the bloodstains so many times, it faded to gray in the wash.

DerekPowers is offline Ruler of Gotham City, 2049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't forget about the fact that Batman's a comic book character, and making him visually pleasing and interesting is important, even if it doesnt always "make real-world sense". Like, in the real world, Batman would never wear a cape.

The blue you can also relate to night, bats, etc, and I think it makes sense and looks great, particularly in BTAS/TAOBR.

I'd love to see a bt drawing of an all black suited Batman. But I love the BTAS design and TNBA one, and think those designs were jaw-droppingly beautiful and I'm glad they didnt use an all-black suit like in the Burton movies, although I love those too (but I dont really care for the BBegins suit. Its boring to me).
    I want to believe that the dead are not lost to us, that they speak to us, as part of something greater than us, greater than any alien force. And if you and I are powerless now, I want to believe that if we listen to it speak, it can give us the power to save ourselves.

--Fox Mulder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast