toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rateand Comment on this DVD Release

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll

3 60.00%
  • ****1/2

0 0%

1 20.00%
  • ***1/2

1 20.00%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Batman: The Complete Fourth Season" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    This multi-disc set of The Batman, collecting all thirteen episodes from the acclaimed fourth season, hits shelves today (WF DVD Report review)!

Synopsis: Season 4 features a redesign of Bruce Wayne/Batman and introduces Dick Grayson as Robin (Evan Sabara) into the series as well as other characters such as Lucius Fox (Louis Gossett Jr.). More villains appear such as Tony Zucco (Mark Hamill), Killer Moth (Jeff Bennett), Black Mask (James Remar) & Number One (Diedrich Bader), Rumor (Ron Perlman), Everywhere Man (Brandon Routh), Harley Quinn (Hynden Walch), Francis Grey (Dave Foley), and a new Clayface (Wallace Langham). Batgirl returns this season as well, and is now officially part of Batman's team. Swoop onto this Deluxe 2-Disc Edition with All Season 4 Adventures plus Exciting Extras. See justice done as no other hero can deliver!

Special Features:
    -"The Batman: Season 4 Unmasked"

Please post only your comments of the DVD here. This thread is for actual discussion of the DVD release only. To discuss the included episodes themselves, please use the talkbacks:

#52. The Joining, Part 2, #51. The Joining, Part 1, #50. Rumors, #49. Riddler's Revenge, #48. Seconds, #47. Two of A Kind, #46. Artifacts, #45. The Breakout, #44. Strange New World, #43. The Everywhere Man, #42. Clayfaces, #41. Team Penguin, #40. A Matter of Family

Discuss This DVD!

Note: If you don't plan on buying these, then please refrain from posting. We appreciate and encourage discussion, but one line posts of "These are a waste of money, I'm not buying these," "it looks cool, but I won't bother buying them," "this show sucks and so does the DVD," etc, are unnecessary. We'd like to see actual discussion and real comments from those who purchased these releases, or actually intend to, not pointless or insulting remarks. We will issue warnings if we believe it necessary.

Related Talkbacks:
    -The Batman: The Complete Third Season
    -The Batman: The Complete Second Season
    -The Batman: The Complete First Season

BonyT is offline Sisyphus in Hell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mine actually arrived yesterday from DeepDiscount, a full day before it hit store shelves, even though I chose DD's free shipping option, which usually takes longer. Anyway, haven't had a chance to watch much of it yet, but I can comment on a few things. I posted a brief comment on the New Frontiers promo yesterday in the "Favorite Episode of Season 4 of The Batman" thread, so I'll just copy and paste that here, and then I'll add a bit about the "The Batman Season 4 Unmasked" feature, since Ruseri asked me specifically about that one:

NIFTY 3 minute 40 second promo for New Frontiers on disc two (featuring Bruce Timm, producer, for one!). I'm really looking forward to that DTV. ... Oh and Lucy Lawless (also seen in the promo, throwing herself into her voice acting with full motion) is a blond now.

"The Batman Season 4 Unmasked" (9 minutes, 21 seconds) featured commentary from the people you'd expect:
    -- Alan Burnett
    -- Jeff Matsuda
    -- Andrea Romano
    -- Michael Jelenic
    -- Rino Romano
    -- Michael Goguen
    -- Paul Dini

Interestingly enough, no one addressed the change in animation elements (Batman's new chin and nose) at all.

Jeff Matsuda talked about the move for Season 4 toward more "event style" stories. He said the very conscious goal of everyone involved was to make Season 4 The Batman's best, and to really please everyone's "inner geek."

Andrea Romano commented on how impressed she was with the evolution of the story telling when she read the scripts pre-season.

Matsuda admitted that perhaps early seasons had been too Joker- and Penguin-centric, and said that there was very conscious effort to expand the Rogues Gallery, and to make the Joker and Penguin appearances that they did have count. He said that the decision of whether to use a classic Batman villain or to invent a new one was purely story driven: If the story called for elements that didn't fit well with existing villains, then they did create a new one; but if, for example, they wanted to test Batman's mind, then Riddler was probably the choice.

In relation to that expansion of the villains on the show, some time was spent talking about Harley, and about the fact that having Dini write that story was a natural, since he invented the character. The comment was made that, in contrast to Timm-verse Harley, this Harley was never really the Joker's "henchgirl." She and the Joker "went out on the town" and then cooperated, on her goals, so that she was more of a "peer and ally" and less of a "yes, Mr. J" girl.

A number of people commented on the progression of Batman opening to ever-larger cooperative teamups -- moving from the loner of early seasons, to the teamup with Batgirl in Season 3, to the partnership with Robin, and then all three, and finally to Martian Manhunter and the JL. It was about Batman moving from being merely Gotham's superhero to being a superhero of "the world, and even the galaxy." It was acknowledged that the reason Robin was held out of the show until Season 4 was his presence on Teen Titans.

Alan Burnett said that The Batman Season 4 was one of his favorite seasons from any show he's ever worked on.

'49 '50 '52 '53 '54 '72 '80 '82 '85 '87 '88 '00 '01 '02 '09 AND 2010 NBA WORLD CHAMPION
    LOS ANGELES LAKERS
    GREATEST FRANCHISE IN SPORTS.

batsy2 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i like this season this is a favorite season of mine and i can't wait till i get season 5 for my collection to complete the series
    Last edited by batsy2; 11-20-2007 at 09:38 PM.

ShadowStar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just ordered my set. It's weird because I much prefer Teen Titans to The Batman, but since they ditched the Teen Titans volumes in favour of season sets, I've been afraid that they'll start again from scratch with widescreen sets. So I'm waiting for season 5 of Teen Titans to come out (hopefully just before the summer) before I buy any of the Teen Titans season sets (besides, two of my all-time favourite Teen Titans episodes are on the season 5 set!).

In the meantime, I had to get this set. "A Matter of Family" and "Seconds" are B:TAS quality, not to mention that there are other fine works like "Strange New World", "Riddler's Revenge" etc. I'm not sure if I'll revisit this set much, but even if not every episode shone, the effort by the creative team in this season was astounding. Like the really cool stuff from the DCAU condensed into 13 episodes!

I won't be cut up if they start doing widescreen sets of The Batman because I don't enjoy it as much as Teen Titans, but this will be a cool Christmas present. I'll post my thoughts when I get it. Since I no longer have Cartoon Network Too, the season 5 set may be my only shot at seeing that season. From what people have said, though, it's not as good as this season. And I'm not surprised. These episodes weren't perfect, but they sure were fun.
    "Are you the dreamer or merely part of someone's dream?" - The Mad Hatter.
    B:TAS - Perchance to Dream.

limel is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStar View Post
    Just ordered my set. It's weird because I much prefer Teen Titans to The Batman, but since they ditched the Teen Titans volumes in favour of season sets, I've been afraid that they'll start again from scratch with widescreen sets. So I'm waiting for season 5 of Teen Titans to come out (hopefully just before the summer) before I buy any of the Teen Titans season sets (besides, two of my all-time favourite Teen Titans episodes are on the season 5 set!).
    The Teen Titans DVDs say that the episodes are in Standard Version, "Presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of its original television exhibition." Which means that a widescreen version doesn't exist. And, from that definition, neither does a fullscreen one. There's no way to release it any other way without any extra work, so they won't be starting over.

Buy the sets now, don't wait.
    Like indie rock? Check out The Vogans.

A.J
    A.J is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Q: Why r u guys talking about Widescreen releases of TT and TB?? Is there any word from Warner about it?
    COSTA RICA: NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS.

limel is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J View Post
    Q: Why r u guys talking about Widescreen releases of TT and TB?? Is there any word from Warner about it?
    ShadowStar was afraid WHV might start re-releasing Teen Titans in widescreen, but I was pointing out that such a version doesn't exist, as the back of the DVD says.
    Like indie rock? Check out The Vogans.

The Penguin is offline The truth shall set you free
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by limel View Post
    ShadowStar was afraid WHV might start re-releasing Teen Titans in widescreen, but I was pointing out that such a version doesn't exist, as the back of the DVD says.
    This is starting to get a bit off-topics for The Batman Season Four, but I believe I've heard before that the masters of both shows are in widescreen, but they never make it to air that way and are cropped like the second season of Justice League. The current DVD releases 'preserve the aspect ratio of its original television exhibition' because the episodes have aired in full screen only. Either way, I don't see much risk in the widescreen versions being released of either The Batman or Teen Titans (on regular DVD anyway).
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

A.J
    A.J is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    This is starting to get a bit off-topics for The Batman Season Four, but I believe I've heard before that the masters of both shows are in widescreen, but they never make it to air that way and are cropped like the second season of Justice League. The current DVD releases 'preserve the aspect ratio of its original television exhibition' because the episodes have aired in full screen only. Either way, I don't see much risk in the widescreen versions being released of either The Batman or Teen Titans (on regular DVD anyway).
    Thanks for your input man. Now back to TB season 4 talk: I LOVED Seconds, Strange New World and Matter of Family!!! Plus The Joining was awesome!
    COSTA RICA: NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS.

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hopefully, this isn't in violation of Jim's "comments only from those who bought it" plea, but thanks for the rundown on the extra feature BonyT. It's nice to know about the content of the featurette, especially in such detail!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast