toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on This Episode!

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll

27 49.09%
  • ****1/2

7 12.73%

12 21.82%
  • ***1/2

3 5.45%

4 7.27%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

1 1.82%

1 1.82%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Wonderwall is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I don't recall people in the DCAU falling in love very quickly nor did I get the impression Bruce loved Lois. You want to see a show where people fall in love at first sight you should try to watch the 90s Spider Man.

As for why he was unaffected by Joker's "death" it's not like they're best buds and this was the start of a colder Batman as well. Also considering how many fakeouts he's had he probably assumes he survived.

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't remember it well but was this where Harley killed Mercy? Or am I remembering it wrong?

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Harley didn't kill Mercy, but they did engage in fisticuffs, mostly for laughs. One of the jokes of "World's Finest" is all the physical abuse Mercy undergoes, even getting punched in the face by Batman. At the end of the third part, Mercy watched Harley on TV get hauled off to jail, and started laughing about it, and if I remember it correctly, she ended up aggravating one or more of her many injuries.

I think it was implied that Bruce loved Lois. When you think about it, Bruce liked strong, smart women, and Lois (post-Crisis) qualifies. Don't forget that scene in Batman Beyond when he was looking back fondly at all his old girlfriends, Lois's picture was in the mix. The only women he dated that he probably didn't like were the airheads he used to build and maintain his "rich playboy" cover.

Other than the fact that Batman couldn't destroy that one Lexbot sent to assassinate him, there were quite a few "Batgod" moments. Every other time he seemed to get the last word on Superman. He threw Superman across the night club hall (???), then he pulled out the kryptonite, taunted Superman, then did his vanishing act on Superman (think about that for a second; of all the people that vanishing act shouldn't work on, Superman should be near the top of that list); when they battled the droids Batman was jumping over those huge robots and dodging blasts whereas the guy who's faster than a speeding bullet and can leap over the tallest building in a single bound was getting pounded by laser fire; Bruce even got the last witty line at Clarkie's expense (that line, BTW, was another clue that Bruce Wayne was in love with Lois). And on top of that, Batman was so close to stealing the only woman in STAS history that Superman ever cared to be with. In the history of the Timm-related DCAU, how many times can you remember Batman's being jealous because another guy was getting close to a woman Batman liked? Even the part when the two heroes learned each other's secret identity's, Batman's feat felt a lot more dramatically satisfying, because it was sneakier and as soon as Superman realized he was discovered, he had to see Batman smirk while listening to Lois sing Bruce Wayne's praises.

None of this is to say Superman didn't have his moments, too, but if you hunger for "Batgod" then this three-parter will fill your appetite.

EDIT: Batman's feelings about Joker's death should be mostly ambivalent. Batman doesn't like to see anybody die, but Joker's just about the most despicable person on the planet. No Joker means much fewer crimes against humanity, which is good for justice.

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah. For some reason I thought Harley ended up taping mercy to a bomb or something. It's been years since I've seen it.

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryWilliams View Post
    Ah. For some reason I thought Harley ended up taping mercy to a bomb or something. It's been years since I've seen it.
    Been a while for me, too. If I'm not mistaken, Harley got the jump on Mercy, and later on in the finale, as hindrance for Superman Harley and Joker taped Mercy onto one of those Lexcorp battlebots so that every time Superman would try to punch it, it would use Mercy as a human shield.

coreysturg is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatHairyDeal View Post
    (think about that for a second; of all the people that vanishing act shouldn't work on, Superman should be near the top of that list).
    Dude, that is so true! HAHA. I totally didn't think about that. I'm now realizing that my issues were the pacing of both of those shows, compared to the current standard. It's easy to forget (mostly because I don't want to admit to myself that I'm already halfway through my twenties) that this happened over a decade ago, and that things are going to progress, especially since most of my memories of these shows were from when I was much younger and they were much more current.

For the record, though, my issue was not that he joked about the Joker dying, but more so that Batman didn't try to save him and THEN he joked about it. Seemed different from the guy filled with regret and guilt in ROTJ.

Wonderwall is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coreysturg View Post
    For the record, though, my issue was not that he joked about the Joker dying, but more so that Batman didn't try to save him and THEN he joked about it. Seemed different from the guy filled with regret and guilt in ROTJ.
    I think it was a logistics thing, there were explosions everywhere, he had his hands full with Harley( and maybe even Lex I can't remember ) and they were closer, etc. And his guilt and regret in ROTJ stemmed from what happened to Tim and that Tim had blood on his hands all under his watch more than Joker dying.

coreysturg is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
    I think it was a logistics thing, there were explosions everywhere, he had his hands full with Harley( and maybe even Lex I can't remember ) and they were closer, etc. And his guilt and regret in ROTJ stemmed from what happened to Tim and that Tim had blood on his hands all under his watch more than Joker dying.
    Oh I was referring to the guilt of all of that happening to Tim because he had never let himself cross the line to prevent it. The situation, in the context of World's Finest, is that explosions start going off and he says to Superman, 'you grab Luthor, I'll grab Harley.' So he acknowledged, at least, what he was doing in that situation. But you're probably right about the logicality of the situation. I just feel like it wasn't written well to convey that. It seemed kind of like he enjoyed the opportunity to allow it to happen.

Dusty is offline Superman.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatHairyDeal View Post
    Harley didn't kill Mercy, but they did engage in fisticuffs, mostly for laughs. One of the jokes of "World's Finest" is all the physical abuse Mercy undergoes, even getting punched in the face by Batman. At the end of the third part, Mercy watched Harley on TV get hauled off to jail, and started laughing about it, and if I remember it correctly, she ended up aggravating one or more of her many injuries.

I think it was implied that Bruce loved Lois. When you think about it, Bruce liked strong, smart women, and Lois (post-Crisis) qualifies. Don't forget that scene in Batman Beyond when he was looking back fondly at all his old girlfriends, Lois's picture was in the mix. The only women he dated that he probably didn't like were the airheads he used to build and maintain his "rich playboy" cover.

Other than the fact that Batman couldn't destroy that one Lexbot sent to assassinate him, there were quite a few "Batgod" moments. Every other time he seemed to get the last word on Superman. He threw Superman across the night club hall (???), then he pulled out the kryptonite, taunted Superman, then did his vanishing act on Superman (think about that for a second; of all the people that vanishing act shouldn't work on, Superman should be near the top of that list); when they battled the droids Batman was jumping over those huge robots and dodging blasts whereas the guy who's faster than a speeding bullet and can leap over the tallest building in a single bound was getting pounded by laser fire; Bruce even got the last witty line at Clarkie's expense (that line, BTW, was another clue that Bruce Wayne was in love with Lois). And on top of that, Batman was so close to stealing the only woman in STAS history that Superman ever cared to be with. In the history of the Timm-related DCAU, how many times can you remember Batman's being jealous because another guy was getting close to a woman Batman liked? Even the part when the two heroes learned each other's secret identity's, Batman's feat felt a lot more dramatically satisfying, because it was sneakier and as soon as Superman realized he was discovered, he had to see Batman smirk while listening to Lois sing Bruce Wayne's praises.

None of this is to say Superman didn't have his moments, too, but if you hunger for "Batgod" then this three-parter will fill your appetite.

EDIT: Batman's feelings about Joker's death should be mostly ambivalent. Batman doesn't like to see anybody die, but Joker's just about the most despicable person on the planet. No Joker means much fewer crimes against humanity, which is good for justice.
    Now this is why I love JL's "Injustice For All" so much. While Batman still had many Batgod moments, in this episode he got get knocked around alot, and Superman even gave him a stern talking to (Superman probably knew Bats wouldn't listen but he didn't even give Bats a chance to say much really, he even gave him the stare, lol.) Superman was like a parent telling their child: "Eat your veggies or no TV, and that's that!" I love that entire episode. But that scene, was priceless.

Another Batgod JL episode that I like, but also hate, is: "Twilight" The episode was awesome, but Supes got totally Pwned in the scene. I find that scene where Bats says: "Cry me a river" to be way lame and out of character. Even at the end of part 2 when Superman says: "You know something Bruce... your not always right." that scene wasn't enough IMO. I mean it was cool to have Superman say something atleast. But the line still felt a little stiff, I felt like Superman should lectured or gotten more angry at Batman over all the stuff that happened. But of course the episode had to end, and Batgod must prevail, lol.

D.
    "Good and Great things in life are rarely ever easy... but they are worth it."

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678