toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gpoliceman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Watching DCAU in Chronological Order

Like This Thread!
    Now that JLU is over, I was thinking about how the writers did such an excellent job setting up Batman Beyond, so that way if a viewer wanted to watch the DCAU in chronological order, it kinda works out perfectly, except for one episode: Epilogue. If you removed Epilogue, you could watch the DCAU in chronological order.

Start:
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    Selected B:TAS episodes
    Sub-zero
    Selected S:TAS episodes
    "World's Finest"
    Selected TNAB episodes + Bats/Sups team-up episodes
    Mystery of the Batwoman
    "Legacy"
    Justice League Seasons 1-2
    Justice League Unlimited Seasons 1-3 (but REMOVE Epilogue)
    Batman Beyond Seasons 1-3
    Return of the Joker
    Place "Epilogue" here, as the final episode
    Stop.

Say you showed someone who NEVER saw the DCAU the shows in this order, when they got to JLU's episode "The Once and Future Time", they would just be as shocked as GL and Bats to find out there is going to be a future incarnation of Batman and GL will have a son named Warhawk. So even though they wouldn't know anything about Terry, they would be intrigued to learn about him, who he is, where he comes from...

...then, the person who knows nothing of DCAU, will finally get to know Terry when they watch the Batman Beyond series, and later meet GL/Hawkgirl's son again in the BB episode "The Call". I actually think it would be better to meet Warhawk AFTER knowing all the baggage and conflict it brought to GL/Hawkgirl's relationship. Watching JLU, and then seeing "The Call" later would also verify that GL/HG did end up together and had a son.

The only episode that would have to be taken out of JLU and shown later would be "Epilogue". That episode makes no sense unless you've seen Batman Beyond, so if you wanted to watch the series in chronological order, that's the only episode you'd have to move.

I think watching the series in this order works great too. Here's some bonus reasons to watch the series in this order, instead of production order:

1. Like I said above, I think meeting Warhawk in "The Call" AFTER knowing all the tension it brought GL/HG's relationship works better. It also would answer the question of whether or not GL/HG ended up together (which "Ancient History" left open-ended), because if a viewer saw "Ancient History", and then later "The Call", they would know what happened.
    2. Watching the series in this chronological order keeps the focus on Lex Luthor, and his character arc. It makes him the most important villain for the Justice League, without a doubt.
    3. Builds on Batman's "no-gun" policy (Dead Reckoning, Destroyer), leading up to his eventual use of one in BB's "Rebirth"
    3. Since nobody liked the bat-embargo, and no bat villains appearing on JLU, watching BB after JLU would finally let the viewer get to see old bat villains again (the ones that appeared on BB - Ras, Joker, Bane, Freeze)
    4. It starts with Batman and ends with Batman.
    5. Watching it in this order also works well for Terry's character. At the end of ROTJ, Terry learns he has to focus on the man he underneath the mask, not just his alter-ego, Batman. Then, in Epilogue, he finds a way to do this: By cherishing the relationships he has with other people, something Bruce could never understand.

I think when I have children, and I force them to watch the DCAU (haha), I am going to show it to them in chronological order, not production order. If nothing else, it'll save me from having to make the series more complicated by explaining that BB was made before JL/JLU. And I think chronological works well.

Greg

Ullar is offline R.I.P. Cap
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    great but slected episodes? and where are statci and zeta project?

HaagenDas is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought Joker dies inbetween Starcrossed and JLU? It would explain why Batgirl, Robin and Nightwing are not in the JL.

sdp
    sdp is offline God
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i was thinking about this same thing too,

dont' forge Static Shock is in continuity too, epilogue would definately have to be last,

I'm unsure about once and future thing, though the shock of seeing an old Bruce Wayne and new batman would be taken away from BB, also the revelation of Warhawk being GL and Shayeras son is not as big. but nothing too bad.

What about Static Shocks cross over with BB though? would that be taken off as well? if its not then BB would no longer be any "shock" you'd know exactly what to expect from it...but maybe not.

its definately an interesting idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Joker dying after Starcrossed makes sense also because it shows how Teen Titans are NOT in continuity.

sdp
    sdp is offline God
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaagenDas
    Joker dying after Starcrossed makes sense also because it shows how Teen Titans are NOT in continuity.
    what??

but thanks for reminding me I personally think Teen Titans is obviously in continuity, there are too many facts to say it isn't so you'd have to start of with them first then B:TAS

more on topic i don't think watching Mask of the Phantasm first would be such a great idea....it shows his past in flashbacks but the main story does not take place i the past, in that case you would have to see just clips from a lot of episodes that have flashbacks to be 100% chronologically correct....

Gpoliceman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oops

I forgot all about Static Shock and Zeta Project.

In all honesty, I've only seen a handful of Static episodes, plus the crossover episodes. I actually have never seen the Zeta Project (except the one BB/Zeta crossover episode), so I forgot all about those two shows.

Sorry

Also,

When I said "selected episodes" I just meant "pick your favorite episodes", because if I was showing someone unfamiliar with the DCAU all the shows, I wouldn't really expect him/her to watch EVERY episode, so I would just pick the most important ones (story-wise), or my favorites.

Also,

If I was showing someone unfamiliar with the DCAU all the shows, I would still place ROTJ at the very end, because even if, technically, the Joker dies during JLU's timeline, if I slapped ROTJ in the middle of showing a person JL/JLU, it wouldn't make sense.
    Also, I don't really need an explanation as to why Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing never showed up in Justice League. Personally, I never thought Robin should appear in JL/JLU, because he's only, what? fifteen years old? and the JL is all grown-ups. Only Captain Marvel gets to slide on that age restriction, and that's because nobody really knows he's just a kid. And while I would love to know whatever happened to Nightwing, if either Batgirl or Nightwing appeared on JL, they would just be under Batman's shadow and almost like Bat clones. So I don't find it necessary to place ROTJ in-between JL/JLU to explain why the Bat-team never showed up in JL.

If Nightwing should show up ever again, it should be in another Batman Beyond movie. That's the most logical storyline for him.

Greg

Wolf Boy2 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaagenDas
    ROTJ could not have happened between "Starcrossed" and JLU, because according to "Epilogue", he used Cadmus nano-tech -- which did not exist until the second season of JLU.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Boy2
    ROTJ could not have happened between "Starcrossed" and JLU, because according to "Epilogue", he used Cadmus nano-tech -- which did not exist until the second season of JLU.
    But didnt they use the nano-Tech to make Doomsday from Superman's DNA? Doomsday was in the JL series wasn't he? That's where the Justice Lords' Superman lobotamized him isnt it? If Doomsday was in JL, before JLU, then they obviously had the technology then.

Also, who cares about Nightwing and Batgirl being in the shadow of Batman?After all, Supergirl was in the League and Superman stepped away from her. Also, I read that Huntress was put in by writers to put in a "Batgirl type character." (jl.toonzone.net). If they need a "Batgirl type character" then that means obviously they couldnt put in Batgirl for whatever reasons, probably because she gave it up, which means ROTJ already happened.

One thing I didnt understand is how old Barbara Gordon looks in the Batman Beyond era. She is a lot younger than Bruce so she should be looking it too. She looks exactly the same when she met up with Waller in Epilogue. She should have looked a bit younger there at least, but I understand why the writers didnt make her that way...we probably wouldnt have recognized her then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Chronologically speaking, "Mask Of The Phantasm" should not be seen first; sure it's a great intro to the world of Batman - but if your strictly viewing them in the order they take place, then it obviously isn't the beginning. The flashbacks are nice, but they aren't the earliest we've ever seen, and the scenes that take place in the present obviously take place after many episodes of the series. For instance, the bat signal is in use during the movie, and it was introduced in an episode of the series ("The Cape & Cowl Conspiracy"). ;-0)

Also, I would place "New Kids In Town" after "Epilogue". I know that parts of it take place during "The Last Son Of Krypton" 3-Parter, but all that's basically wiped out of Clark's memory - and it's a neat adventure to tuck in at the end. ;-0) At least I think it is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast