toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Vote and Post Your Thoughts on "TROQ"

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll

7 9.46%
  • **** 1/2

8 10.81%

25 33.78%
  • *** 1/2

11 14.86%

8 10.81%
  • ** 1/2

2 2.70%

0 0%
  • * 1/2

2 2.70%

1 1.35%
  • 1/2

2 2.70%
  • @$%@ I missed it! Oh well it repeats on May 14th at 12pm ET.

8 10.81%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Teen Titans "TROQ" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Surprise! New Teen Titans, part of a Miguzi promo!

Episode #45 - TROQ
    Original Airdate - May 9th, 2005

A brave hero from outer space called VAL-YOR comes to Earth, and asks for the Titans help in defeating an otherworldly menace known as THE LOCRIX. But according to Val-Yor, STARFIRE may be the real problem...

Comments?

Note: Thread was put out early to remind those of it's airing; save comments until it airs, unless you caught the Canadian airing.
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ugh, most of this episode was nothing but a sappy afterschool special. I liked how the ending wasn't completely sugar-coated, though.

Link is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh. Some good fight scenes here and there, but too much rascism moral crud. Cool fights in the Spaceship and stuff I guess, but Val-Yor was a major jerk. Oh well, 2.5/5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One word: Meh. Not good, but not bad either.

I can see it now: first the people over at R/S Shrine complain about Robin/Raven next it will be Starfire/Cyborg. Heh.

Ultra Mike is offline 1000 Posts = Woot Or Something
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmmm, I wonder how this episode was going to be different from other "alien visitor comes to earth" episodes. The synopsis made you believe that Val-Yor was going to try and convince the Titans the Starfire is a threat, a danger of some sort. And it would be a plot of them trying to find out what, or something like that. Instead though, it dealt with something done a bit less because it's not something you really deal with in kids shows: Racism.

Alien Racism sure, but Racism all the same. Static Shock can have an episode about it, but it has to make special speeches and have the "bad man" come around in the end. Teen Titans however takes a different approach: you get a fairly valiant and courageous warrior who knows the meaning of teamwork and working together, and you just don't make him like Tamarians, considering them to be worthless. (I don't know why. They seem like all together one of the stronger species in the universe. And most of them aren't like Blackfire). And he still feels that way at the end, even lumping in earthlings in the equation. And you really knew why Cyborg felt the way that Starfire did when he learned what a Troq was: It's not because he's half robot, but rather africian american, and perhaps he's been called a word in his time that basically means the same thing. I think you know the word I mean.

I was waiting to write this episode off but once it introduced racism, I really couldn't. Defintley a fairly powerful episode. I mean the animation wasn't as good as it could of been (probably Dong Woo) but the fighting was well balanced and fairly amusing to watch. Overall, a very solid effort.

GRADE: 4.25 Stars Out of 5.
    Well That's 1000 Posts Down And...

... Guess However many left I have until I get too annoying to be kept around and got banned or something.

Bit Cloud is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if Raven and Beastboy will have and episode like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well...

I'll rank it as a 3 -- better then most Starfire episodes, and the fact that Valendar (?) was still racist (Xenist?) at the end shows a touch of realism.

What knocks points off:

--Okay, Impressive Piloting, But he's acting like a braggart, somehow, I don't really think Raven would be all that excited over him. Whole Star off. Also would think she would've noticed the Hot/Cold Treatment.

--I know Robin would be impressed by his fighting skills and piloting, but am I the only one would think the cold attutide to Starfire and obvious preferenial treatment should've tipped Robin off? full star off.

I just don't think they would be THAT oblivious, you know?

--They wouldn't dare have Cyborg say "It's because I'm black" -- no, they used the PC "Because I'm half-robot" -- Pet Peeve here mostly.

Mister Intensity is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman's Biggest Fan
    One word: Meh. Not good, but not bad either.

I can see it now: first the people over at R/S Shrine complain about Robin/Raven next it will be Starfire/Cyborg. Heh.
    Because there was so much of that after Deception first aired .

The episode was a bit too preachy but at least there were some moments of subtlety.

Mister Intensity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I must say that I liked this episode a LOT better than the last one (Employee of the Month). At the beginning, I really liked Val-Yor. The things he did at the beginning were really cool. Later on, I thought of him as a total jerk....labelling Starfire as a "Troq." I didn't know what it stood for. When I first saw the name, "TROQ", I was thinking....radio station. Then, I learned it was was nothing but a way of insulting someone (mainly the Tamaranian people). Star proved herself worthy (she has a really big heart), yet, Val-Yor was still being a jerk.

I give it a B.

shoujoaifan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HumanWormbaby
    Ugh, most of this episode was nothing but a sappy afterschool special. I liked how the ending wasn't completely sugar-coated, though.
    After seeing alot of sappy afterschool specials, I think this did a pretty good job. They slowly developed the plot, not slamming us with "Racism is bad" right away, but rather they showed how much of a bastard the guy was.

Hell, they even addressed OPENLY that punching the guy's lights out wouldn't solve anything (NOT that he didn't deserve it.)

Hmmm, here's one thing that might've made it better: Do you think they should've adressed Cyborg being black as well as a cyborg? GRANTED they still used him as another example of someone being discriminated. Reminds me of the excellant episode where they addressed this with Spike on X:EVO (one of his few good episodes.)

Q. : Is there a FCC/BS&P rule that says they can't adressed racism with balcks though? NOT that this episode wasn't good or that episode from X:EVO either, but it might've made more impact.

(They did it on Jett Jackson on Disney, but then again Disney teen shows actually "get away" with alot of material that cartoons don't, like Lizzie screaming out the word bra repeatedly.)
    Last edited by shoujoaifan; 05-09-2005 at 11:58 PM.
    Want to see what genre Mystery Science Theater 3000 evolved out of? www.horrorhosts.com will explain both past and present. I DARE you.

cheeseshirt Guest
    it's one of the better Starfire episodes. They showed a season 1 ppisode before it with the animation and a few of the fight scenes it reminded me of a first season episode. The plot was stereotypical with a new spin the people who posted before me pretty much summed it up shame is that was a one time only deal I wouldn't mind them showing a new episode every week from now on but according the WF sceduled there won't be a new one until at least June but only because I don't know what the schedule is for June. 3.5 out of 5 because I'm having a rather bad day.

Mister Intensity is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did like that it was Cyborg that Starfire confide in instead of Robin. Also his use of "troq" towards her was a subtle dig at the way a certain word is casually tossed around by young people.

Mister Intensity

MJC
    MJC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinDaybird

--They wouldn't dare have Cyborg say "It's because I'm black" -- no, they used the PC "Because I'm half-robot" -- Pet Peeve here mostly.
    Actually, it was probably because Starfire might not have understood racial distinctions and Cyborg might not have felt like explaining them. Keep in mind that race is a social construct created by humans.

As for the episode, it was average. Not horrible, but a little preachy, and nothing really makes it stand out.
    The world's 225 richest people now have a combined wealth of $1 trillion. That's equal to the combined annual income of the world's 2.5 billion poorest people.

Something to think about.

Beat is offline Retired
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Static Shock would debunk that theory.

Anyway...*argh* Who let the Static Shock team in on the Teen Titans episodes?
    If I've ever offended anyone because I've said something that was crass, offensive, or just plain stupid personally, I apologize profusely.
    If I've ever offended someone because of my opinion concerning cartoons- Is that really something to be enraged about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yea... it is a nice break, it's almost always that Starfire confides in Robin, or needs Robin's help. I think she sometimes forget she has other team members

Caswin is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I actually said out loud something about him being black, too... anyhoo, okay fight scenes, the best was probably the first one in the cargo hold. What I kept expecting was a plot twist of some kind - you get that a lot in episodes like this. But, no, he was a hero to the end... maybe not 'hero', not much of a role model, is he? Stuck to the mission, blew up the bad guys (Similar twist expected here), and flew away unconvinced. Nice job, as mentioned, as far as not sugar-coating it. Some people are just stubborn, xenophobic imbeciles.

Not a great episode, but could still be worse, I guess.

2.5/5
    "There's no need to tread lightly upon my feelings. I'm the first one to admit that Superman is my arch-enemy, and that he alone stands between me and my goal - but I shall find a way to deal with him..." - Lex Luthor, Atom Man vs. Superman

(Well, it was worth a go.)

TuxedoKamen is offline Prince of the Earth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinDaybird
    I'll rank it as a 3 -- better then most Starfire episodes, and the fact that Valendar (?) was still racist (Xenist?) at the end shows a touch of realism.

What knocks points off:

--Okay, Impressive Piloting, But he's acting like a braggart, somehow, I don't really think Raven would be all that excited over him. Whole Star off. Also would think she would've noticed the Hot/Cold Treatment.

--I know Robin would be impressed by his fighting skills and piloting, but am I the only one would think the cold attutide to Starfire and obvious preferenial treatment should've tipped Robin off? full star off.

I just don't think they would be THAT oblivious, you know?

I mostly agree with you here, even though I still gave the ep four stars for reasons I shall address in a seperate post, but I think there's a very logical reason Cy chose his words the way he did that actually makes a lot of sense.

Starfire comes from a race of all orange people. I'm almost certain no Tamaranians descriminate against each other based on race or ethnicity, because they all look and act the same. The view of Tamaran we're given in the show seems to suggest a very developed monoethnic/monoracial culture. I'm not sure she would be able to readily understand the idea of humans discriminating against themselves based on ethnicity/race, thus him telling her the "real" reason wouldn't be nearly as effective as you might think. He'd end up having to explain it to her and she'd probably just feel worse since she just learned there's a whole segment of society that abhors and hates someone she sees as a brother because of the color of her skin.
    However, she could probably easily understand the idea of Cy being singled out because he's part robot ... indeed, coming from a highly advanced, space aware culture, I'd imagine she's probably seen other instances of this.

As a side effect, the writers get to be politically correct, but I think it's still very clever writing if you stop and think about it. It makes Cy look smart, we all know what he's talking about, and it doesn't look like he's trying to dumb it down for her.

And yeah, this guy was a jerk. I was hoping Captain Atom would show up and show him how a real classy shiny metal man behaves...
    "Oh, Robin ... come back ... please ... I ... I won't be evil ... if you just come back..." -- Secret, Young Justice 38
    ---
    "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The ending made this episode better then it would have been otherwise. By not sugercoating the ending this episode has an even stronger message then before, some people just can't change. Even if they are good guy, they can still have flaws that they can't work past. He can't just change the way he thinks.

TuxedoKamen is offline Prince of the Earth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Intensity
    I did like that it was Cyborg that Starfire confide in instead of Robin. Also his use of "troq" towards her was a subtle dig at the way a certain word is casually tossed around by young people.

Mister Intensity
    Aye. The use of Cy here was very smart on the part of the writers. Not only did it show what sort of bond she has with Vic, which I really appriciate (it compares well with the sisterly bond she has with Raven and the platonic best friend thing she has going with BB), but it made Starfire look smarter than most people give her credit for. She knew Cy would probably be calm enough about it, but she knows Robin well enough by now that, romantic impulses aside, she has to realize he's very attached to her and would do practically anything for her. She probably thought if he found out what Troq meant, he would throw the Full Metal Jerk out of the nearest airlock. I think that's why she still didn't want to tell him until it was over, because her heart's bigger than her brain and she valued the mission.
    I especially liked the way Vic coaxed her into telling him ... Robin would want to know just how nasty this guy he's building up so much respect for really is. (I also thought they were subtly hinting at Star's self-esteem problems here.)

Robin's VA carried off the reaction beautifully. I loved how Cy whispered, so if you're an older viewer you imagine the description of Troq being too nasty to utter. Robin's "What?" wasn't the ragetastic explosion it could have so easily been ... it had notes of indignation, disgust and disbelief that communicated a deeper feeling of shock and (surprisingly rational) fury. I was also impressed his first thought wasn't to beat the crap out of the guy, but to make him apologize, it got us away from Action!Hero!Robin and showed that he was concerned with her feelings above all else. Even if they never go with and explicit romance between the two on the show, (and I doubt they ever will, given the target demographic) anyone who knows the meaning of the word "romance" knows what's going on here, and that's good enough.

I know some people will probably say I'm reading too much into this, but I've seen after school specials, and this was NOT one of them--the ending should prove that much.
    As for it being too preachy ... well, there's really no way to do this sort thing without being preachy to some degree. Episodes like this are written because a point needs to be made, and by definition there is some element of preachiness in the decision to make that point. It deviated enough from the established disney-style every-thing-turns-out-right-in-the-end structure to create a real sense of offense/indignation in the viewer on Starfire's behalf, which makes the message more likely to stick with those young enough to be influenced by the show.
    "Oh, Robin ... come back ... please ... I ... I won't be evil ... if you just come back..." -- Secret, Young Justice 38
    ---
    "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Redi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was different.

Its difficult to tackle race and bigotry in a half an hour kid's cartoon. But overall I think they handled the subject matter pretty well.

Blah animation.

I was impressed by BB in the fight scenes though.
    Basic filler with a message....3/5
    Tree Squirrels don't hibernate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast