toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Vote and Post Your Thoughts on "TROQ"

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll

7 9.46%
  • **** 1/2

8 10.81%

25 33.78%
  • *** 1/2

11 14.86%

8 10.81%
  • ** 1/2

2 2.70%

0 0%
  • * 1/2

2 2.70%

1 1.35%
  • 1/2

2 2.70%
  • @$%@ I missed it! Oh well it repeats on May 14th at 12pm ET.

8 10.81%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Teen Titans "TROQ" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    Surprise! New Teen Titans, part of a Miguzi promo!

Episode #45 - TROQ
    Original Airdate - May 9th, 2005

A brave hero from outer space called VAL-YOR comes to Earth, and asks for the Titans help in defeating an otherworldly menace known as THE LOCRIX. But according to Val-Yor, STARFIRE may be the real problem...

Comments?

Note: Thread was put out early to remind those of it's airing; save comments until it airs, unless you caught the Canadian airing.
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ugh, most of this episode was nothing but a sappy afterschool special. I liked how the ending wasn't completely sugar-coated, though.

Link is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh. Some good fight scenes here and there, but too much rascism moral crud. Cool fights in the Spaceship and stuff I guess, but Val-Yor was a major jerk. Oh well, 2.5/5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One word: Meh. Not good, but not bad either.

I can see it now: first the people over at R/S Shrine complain about Robin/Raven next it will be Starfire/Cyborg. Heh.

Ultra Mike is offline 1000 Posts = Woot Or Something
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmmm, I wonder how this episode was going to be different from other "alien visitor comes to earth" episodes. The synopsis made you believe that Val-Yor was going to try and convince the Titans the Starfire is a threat, a danger of some sort. And it would be a plot of them trying to find out what, or something like that. Instead though, it dealt with something done a bit less because it's not something you really deal with in kids shows: Racism.

Alien Racism sure, but Racism all the same. Static Shock can have an episode about it, but it has to make special speeches and have the "bad man" come around in the end. Teen Titans however takes a different approach: you get a fairly valiant and courageous warrior who knows the meaning of teamwork and working together, and you just don't make him like Tamarians, considering them to be worthless. (I don't know why. They seem like all together one of the stronger species in the universe. And most of them aren't like Blackfire). And he still feels that way at the end, even lumping in earthlings in the equation. And you really knew why Cyborg felt the way that Starfire did when he learned what a Troq was: It's not because he's half robot, but rather africian american, and perhaps he's been called a word in his time that basically means the same thing. I think you know the word I mean.

I was waiting to write this episode off but once it introduced racism, I really couldn't. Defintley a fairly powerful episode. I mean the animation wasn't as good as it could of been (probably Dong Woo) but the fighting was well balanced and fairly amusing to watch. Overall, a very solid effort.

GRADE: 4.25 Stars Out of 5.
    Well That's 1000 Posts Down And...

... Guess However many left I have until I get too annoying to be kept around and got banned or something.

Bit Cloud is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if Raven and Beastboy will have and episode like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well...

I'll rank it as a 3 -- better then most Starfire episodes, and the fact that Valendar (?) was still racist (Xenist?) at the end shows a touch of realism.

What knocks points off:

--Okay, Impressive Piloting, But he's acting like a braggart, somehow, I don't really think Raven would be all that excited over him. Whole Star off. Also would think she would've noticed the Hot/Cold Treatment.

--I know Robin would be impressed by his fighting skills and piloting, but am I the only one would think the cold attutide to Starfire and obvious preferenial treatment should've tipped Robin off? full star off.

I just don't think they would be THAT oblivious, you know?

--They wouldn't dare have Cyborg say "It's because I'm black" -- no, they used the PC "Because I'm half-robot" -- Pet Peeve here mostly.

Mister Intensity is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman's Biggest Fan
    One word: Meh. Not good, but not bad either.

I can see it now: first the people over at R/S Shrine complain about Robin/Raven next it will be Starfire/Cyborg. Heh.
    Because there was so much of that after Deception first aired .

The episode was a bit too preachy but at least there were some moments of subtlety.

Mister Intensity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I must say that I liked this episode a LOT better than the last one (Employee of the Month). At the beginning, I really liked Val-Yor. The things he did at the beginning were really cool. Later on, I thought of him as a total jerk....labelling Starfire as a "Troq." I didn't know what it stood for. When I first saw the name, "TROQ", I was thinking....radio station. Then, I learned it was was nothing but a way of insulting someone (mainly the Tamaranian people). Star proved herself worthy (she has a really big heart), yet, Val-Yor was still being a jerk.

I give it a B.

shoujoaifan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HumanWormbaby
    Ugh, most of this episode was nothing but a sappy afterschool special. I liked how the ending wasn't completely sugar-coated, though.
    After seeing alot of sappy afterschool specials, I think this did a pretty good job. They slowly developed the plot, not slamming us with "Racism is bad" right away, but rather they showed how much of a bastard the guy was.

Hell, they even addressed OPENLY that punching the guy's lights out wouldn't solve anything (NOT that he didn't deserve it.)

Hmmm, here's one thing that might've made it better: Do you think they should've adressed Cyborg being black as well as a cyborg? GRANTED they still used him as another example of someone being discriminated. Reminds me of the excellant episode where they addressed this with Spike on X:EVO (one of his few good episodes.)

Q. : Is there a FCC/BS&P rule that says they can't adressed racism with balcks though? NOT that this episode wasn't good or that episode from X:EVO either, but it might've made more impact.

(They did it on Jett Jackson on Disney, but then again Disney teen shows actually "get away" with alot of material that cartoons don't, like Lizzie screaming out the word bra repeatedly.)
    Last edited by shoujoaifan; 05-09-2005 at 11:58 PM.
    Want to see what genre Mystery Science Theater 3000 evolved out of? www.horrorhosts.com will explain both past and present. I DARE you.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast