toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Harley_Quinn is offline Honey, get mommy’s bazooka
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who is Slade and why does he hate the Teen Titans so much?

Like This Thread!
    Who is Slade in the Comics and why does he hate the Teen Titans so much?

What is his motivation?

Also, how close is the animated version of him to the comic version.

Aw c’mon puddin’…don’t you wanna rev up your Harley? Vroom! Vroom!” – Mad Love

Bubblegum Girl is offline Magic User Wannabe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, in the comics Slade's oldest son Grant Wilson(who was the first Ravager) died while fighting the Teen Titans and Slade wanted vengeance for his son's death.

But since the animated series is way different from the original comics, I'm not sure if it's the same reason.

Ed Liu is online now Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Howdy,

This page from TitansTower.com has the full skinny on the comic-book version of Slade. In the comics, he's usually called "Deathstroke the Terminator," which has been dropped from the cartoon. Back in the day, his gimmick was that he used 90% of his brain vs. the 10% that normal people use (which is a false urban legend, but this bit of trivia has been brought up as recently as Identity Crisis). During the go-go 80's and 90's, they tried turning Slade into DC's version of the Punisher, meaning an anti-hero who slung large automatic weapons and killed lots of people in the name of justice.

I think the major distinction between the cartoon Slade and the comics Deathstroke is that Deathstroke was presented as more of a mercenary, while Slade acts for purposes of his own. Deathstroke was also far more violent and lethal in the comics.

-- Ed/Ace
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something."
    -- Jake the Dog, Adventure Time, "His Hero"

Harley_Quinn is offline Honey, get mommy’s bazooka
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace the Bathound
    Howdy,

This page from TitansTower.com has the full skinny on the comic-book version of Slade. In the comics, he's usually called "Deathstroke the Terminator," which has been dropped from the cartoon. Back in the day, his gimmick was that he used 90% of his brain vs. the 10% that normal people use (which is a false urban legend, but this bit of trivia has been brought up as recently as Identity Crisis). During the go-go 80's and 90's, they tried turning Slade into DC's version of the Punisher, meaning an anti-hero who slung large automatic weapons and killed lots of people in the name of justice.

I think the major distinction between the cartoon Slade and the comics Deathstroke is that Deathstroke was presented as more of a mercenary, while Slade acts for purposes of his own. Deathstroke was also far more violent and lethal in the comics.

-- Ed/Ace
    Thanks again Ace!

Informative as always, the only comic I read with Deathstroke in it was the recent Teen Titans run, Kid Play, I think it was called. Just curious what his history was like. Thanks again!
    Aw c’mon puddin’…don’t you wanna rev up your Harley? Vroom! Vroom!” – Mad Love

Style is offline The Green Style Returns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He's Bruce Wayne and he's insanely jealous that Tim Drake/Robin left him for Starfire.

At least that's what I gathered from reading this board for the past year...

jeffrey 228 is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stly92
    He's Bruce Wayne and he's insanely jealous that Tim Drake/Robin left him for Starfire.

Most people seem to think he is Bruce Wayne, that is false it is unlikly he would be both the hero and the villan and I know this has been asked many times in the past, even at Animation Insider forums that Bruce Wayne is not slade.

Lunchbox is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stly92

Nuh-uh.

He's obviously Ron Perlman, kicking ass in the name of Ron Perlman.

Wizard is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox
    Nuh-uh.

He's obviously Ron Perlman, kicking ass in the name of Ron Perlman.
    Hee!
    The hardest thing in this world is to live in it.

The Master Con is offline Dark Glass
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLEY_QUINN1
    Who is Slade in the Comics and why does he hate the Teen Titans so much?
    He doesn't really hate them, it's just that if he ever challenged the Justice League he'd get his butt handed to him. So as a result he's reduced to fighting kids.

Lunchbox is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Master Con
    He doesn't really hate them, it's just that if he ever challenged the Justice League he'd get his butt handed to him. So as a result he's reduced to fighting kids.
    I'm not so sure about that. Starfire and Raven both have impressive powers, Cyborg is a tank, and Robin was trained by the Batman himself. Beast Boy, though, is pretty worthless.

I'd love to see a Batman/Slade fight, though. They'd play so many mind games.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast