toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Post your comments on "Fear Itself"

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll

16 44.44%
  • **** 1/2

4 11.11%

6 16.67%
  • *** 1/2

2 5.56%

6 16.67%
  • ** 1/2

0 0%

1 2.78%
  • * 1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 2.78%
  • The only thing "Fearful" about this was that I withstood 30 minutes of it.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Teen Titans "Fear Itself" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

The Titans Tower turns into the Titans Tower of Terror on tonights new Teen Titans!

Episode #18 - Fear Itself
    Original Airdate - February 7th, 2004

Raven doesn't do fear. Or at least, that's what she wants you to think. But when a ghostly, unknown force starts hunting down the Titans one by one, Titans Tower turns into a house of horrors -- and even Raven gets rattled. Will she be able to control her fear long enough to find out what's really going on?

Comments?

NOTE: Please do not post anything in this thread till after the episode airs. If you must talk about it, then pop into our chat while it airs--while many may not understand the reasoning, it's simple: I just don't like clutter in the talkbacks.

Wanna chat about it instantly? Then join the new World's Finest Chatroom and let it rip!
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, Dwayne.

I'd rate this above his JL stuff but it still wasn't great.

He brings in some of the typical JL flaws, such as the team not actually working as a team (one-vs-one fighting), a convoluted plot device, and not much explanation given in places where its needed. I know TT is an absurdists show but still.

Haruhara is offline Queen of Forgetful-ness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "EEE, Someones claws are on my GREBNAKS!!"
    "sorry.."

...oh.my.god...

JusticeLeagueLegion is offline Samantha is a hottie!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Isn't this Dwayne's first Teen Titans episode? You listening Dwayne? Anyway, I kind of liked it. The "Warp Trek" thing was hilarious, and I liked the "Transporter" sound effect the remote control had. Hey Dwayne, are you a Star Trek fan like me?
    "We didn't find you son...you found us."

---Johnathan Kent
    Smallville Episode#1

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Putting aside the fact I wish this was first aired on Halloween, but that would mean a 10-month wait for new episodes...

Notsomuch a character development episode as it was the trademark "spooky" episode. (What tv show is complete without one?) It ends with some substantial development for Raven to give the experience a purpose. The opening bout with the Trekkie/Star Wars geek was nicely written. "You will be...YOU. WILL. BE." From then on it was Scream, Raven-style. Beast Boy adopted his role quickly and completely, and cool-headed Robin's loss noticeably weakened the team's morale. I had two theories halfway through: Either the remote malfunctioned and is acting on its own, or Raven's dreaming. I was happy to discover that it was not the latter, and began to suspect Raven's unwitting involvement when the four-eyed rats appeared. The only disappointment this episode had: Going into it, I thought we were going to find out the one thing Raven's truly frightened of. But instead, we just learn she is capable of feeling fear...which is still a discovery, just not a specific fear. I think it would have been nicer if she had one solid thing she was mortified about, which could come back to haunt her in later episodes. (Although you can argue Trigon fits the bill, we have yet to see if the writers will bring him back in this series.)

Randomness:
    The window is the television? That's like the Enterprise-E's holographic viewscreen/wall, or DS9's Cardassian "hollow" screens. Another Trek reference? Probably not.

I can't even begin to describe the inspirations found in Control Freak's costume.

It would have been nice to hear CF shout something to the tune of Kirk in Star Trek II after being beaten. "TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENS!"

"What'd I tell you? The funny guy goes first!"

last line from Raven: "I'm afraid not."

Teen Titans 2x05 - "Fear Itself": ****1/2

Slane is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Heh...I didn't notice Dwayne wrote this episode. Definitely cool. Okay, so the name recognition is making me take up more notice on this episode, but I have too; after Justice League and Static Shock, it's cool to see his perspective on the characters.

Overall, he did a good job capturing them: Robin was the same Batman-esque individual, Starfire was the same (although her pose when she was rescued by Robin at the beginning reeked of damnsel-in-distress and I'm not sure she would really act so jumpy in the Tower to start saying, "Oh well, we checked; let's get going), Cyborg and Beast Boy had their great comedy bits (vomit and horror film/fanboy goodness always work), and Raven...well, everything was about her.

Raven's consistent "I'm not afraid" got to be a little much up to the last one she said to Cyborg; the point was made and understood that she was frighten. Then again, I have no idea how to handle a story like this, how to exentuate the symbolism and character development, so...yeah. I'm just whining right now.

Oh, and here's what I posted at the Cartoon Network Forum.

----

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    Wait, so is Beast Boy supposed to hook up with Raven, or Terra?
    Eep! You'll start up the Terra/Raven/Beast Boy love triangle arguement! AHH!!!

Oh no! I'M starting up the Terra/Raven/Beast Boy love triangle argument! AAAHHH!!!!!!

...Nonetheless, I thought that was a cute ending.

Maybe Starfire wasn't talking about what we all think she was talking about when Beast Boy was touching her. Maybe she meant...uh...ah, screw it. Bring on the FCC fines!

I think the episode could have been improved if Raven being the cause (either because of her powers or, as others have suggested, because it was a dream, probably her's) had been more covert; the montrosities with four red eyes advanced the climax of the story, and everything else was falling action. Heck, just save the four-eyed symbolism till that big beast appeared, then have the giant beast with four-eyes show up and, when Raven unleashed her power, BAM!, the audience realizes the truth, the climax takes place, and all that is necessary is for Robin to give the exposition as falling action takes place.

Okay, enough literary interpretation; let's get back to watching TV.

Slane's blog: Barely updated...

tenken is offline AKA Grondring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hm, pretty good episode. Bit predictable, though. 1st big clue was that the "creatures of extreme horribleness" kept showing up whenever Raven declared she wasn't afraid, and 2nd clue was that the rats had four eyes.

That was hilarious watching Cyborg run away from psychotic candy. RISE, SNICKERS AND ALL OTHER CANDIES! THE DAY OF OUR UPRISIN IS COME! Wonder what it did to his digestive system, though...

"Somebody's claws are on my grebnaks!" Excuse me while I go off in a corner to randomly chuckle and wonder what grebnaks are.

Hmm, I haven't seen many scary movies (because they, well, scare me), but from my limited experience, the comedic relief guy does go first. I guess it's because it's contrary to the point of a scary movie to have somebody making your audience laugh uproariously every two seconds.

All in all, it was decent. A bit too predictable, but decent.
    Blah. I don't like writing sigs.

GO TEAM VENTURE!

Rabi~en~Rose is offline idolmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it wasn't bad or good just kinda there. aren't character spotlight episodes supposed to have developement? well....where was Ravens at? she can admit fear now? big deal. its been pretty obvious in many other episodes that she was fearful and its never caused problems. oh well...at the least I can say it surprised me that they didn't do the cop-out "bad dream" ending.

Eddie G. is offline Former Wolf/Writer.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Decent episode, let us be glad that it didn't all turn out to be a dream. Besides that it was okay, Control Freak was cool but everything else was a little eh. But I love Raven so it was a good night.

jeffrey 228 is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well the only few things that I can say is, that Raven is a scardy cat for sure, and I will most likly not want to know what Starfire said when she mentioned GREBNAKS, because that would be kina offensive and all, and the third part that seems to get me laughting like heck would be Cyborg Puking, now how can a robot puke, that is just a wonder of questions that makes me think that this episode should deserve a 5 star, and it did because it was just down right wacky, funny and good action packed too. :anime:

Invader_Spooch is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey 228
    Well the only few things that I can say is, that Raven is a scardy cat for sure, and I will most likly not want to know what Starfire said when she mentioned GREBNAKS, because that would be kina offensive and all, and the third part that seems to get me laughting like heck would be Cyborg Puking, now how can a robot puke,
    He is half man, half machine. He still has all the major organs and such that a person has, obviously. I mean, if he was just a robot, then why the heck would he need/be able to eat? And if he were all machine, then why would he have been designed with a few human looking parts? You dont design a robot to look human, then leave him looking all pieced together like that.

Eddie G. is offline Former Wolf/Writer.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey 228
    Well the only few things that I can say is, that Raven is a scardy cat for sure, and I will most likly not want to know what Starfire said when she mentioned GREBNAKS, because that would be kina offensive and all, :anime:
    Okay, well it's plural so I guess we can easily guess what her grebaks are intended to be. Honestly I was a tad suprised by the line, I expect this from JL but something about that seemed off. It was funny as hell, but still.

wrenchien is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader_Spooch
    He is half man, half machine. He still has all the major organs and such that a person has, obviously. I mean, if he was just a robot, then why the heck would he need/be able to eat?.
    because even robots like spare ribs. and won't give them up even if they were once human.

Anon190 is offline Favorite sport: Stankball!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OH. MY. GOD.

There are very few episodes that make me go back to biting my fingers. But this one did it.

SPECTACULAR animation and voice acting! Starfire's squealing was just perfect, and so was everybody else's.

A FANBOY! OMIGODOMIGOD!!! IT WAS A FANBOY! -fangirlesque squealing- I've been waiting for that for forever!

I for one didn't know it was Raven until Robin said so; yes, the four-eyed rats reminded me of "Nevermore", but the animators could've been slacking off. BUT THEY WEREN'T! "Fear Itself"'s animation tops every other episode so far. Anime expressions used nicely, no jerky spots, PERFECT.

Amazing, spanktacular, etc.

Five stars.

Tanooki is offline Supplexing disease since 1982.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    this episode had me going

the whole horror movie stuff was really getting me in a suspenseful mood. i also loved the character developement for raven. but, the ending just left me kind of flat. those creatures were created because raven wouldn't admit she was afraid? pssh. whatever

Hero
    Formerly N. Frederick, among a bunch of others.

Invader_Spooch is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did anyone else notice the possible reference to Wicked City (a weird, graphic horror anime)? The movie they watched being named Wicked Scary kinda made me think it was a reference to it. That and the monster looking alot like the tentacle monster in Wicked City. I dont know, maybe its just me.

jasonhill is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For Raven based episodes, this one beats Nevermore by 1 point.
    Sincerely,
    Jason Hill
    http://www.thegamemaster.org/

shogunthethird is offline Monk-daddy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't mean to nitpick, but in horror movies usually the first victim is either black or an airheaded female with huge grebnaks, the comedy relief usually dies around the midway point between the stoner who says "I'll be right back" and the dumb jock, followed by the policeman who thinks it's all "punk kids" and the guy you really think is the killer but ends up dead
    Asian male, single, religious...seeks multiple women to bear his children....contact Miroku for details

lostrune is offline Detective Rachel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Deep Thoughts: 2/7 Sat

1. *sigh* Another obvious one to solve. Then again, it is for the younger demo.

2. The interruption: TMNT did it twice or thrice? Now it's TT's turn. Coinkidink?

3. Why does nobody ever wait for daylight before going to the basement?
    Beast Boy's scary movie know-how reminds me of the comedy Scary Movie film.

4. No preview?

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostrune
    2. The interruption: TMNT did it twice or thrice? Now it's TT's turn. Coinkidink?

3. Why does nobody ever wait for daylight before going to the basement?
    Beast Boy's scary movie know-how reminds me of the comedy Scary Movie film.

4. No preview?
    2. Do you mean the part in act II when it faded out on Cyborg's face, then faded in on an exterior shot of the Tower? I don't think that was an intended commercial space. It's more like a dramatic pause in the action. (I assume you're talking about the "commercial break." I could be totally wrong. Anyway, TMNT has about 39,021 in each episode...it's certainly more than 3.)

3. Would you wait precious hours while a tentacled, fanged, undead monster was holding your friends captive, possibly eating them as you waited for sunrise?

4. No spoilers! The preview pretty much says what the official press release synopsis says...just with visuals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast