toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What do you give Terra?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • More then 5 stars?

8 12.70%

17 26.98%
  • ****1/2

14 22.22%

10 15.87%
  • ***1/2

4 6.35%

8 12.70%
  • **1/2

0 0%

1 1.59%
  • *1/2

0 0%

1 1.59%
  • 1/2 *

0 0%
  • Yuck Ew, I hated it...

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Teen Titans "Terra" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Up a little early today! The Titans get a new friend.....or foe?

Episode #16 - Terra
    Original Airdate - January 24th, 2004

The Titans meet Terra, small teenage girl with big powers. Gifted with amazing earth-moving abilities, Terra can make rocks fly, mountains crumble, and the ground tremble beneath her feet. At first, it seems like this hip, funny, young hero might make a great addition to the team. But Terra has a terrible secret. And only Slade knows the truth. Will the Titans' new friend put the whole team in danger?

Comments?

NOTE: Please do not post anything in this thread till after the episode airs. If you must talk about it, then pop into our chat while it airs--or head on over to the CN forum and post in their talkback while it airs. While many may not understand the reasoning, it's simple: I just don't like clutter in the talkbacks.

Wanna chat about it instantly? Then join the new World's Finest Chatroom and let it rip!
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Fernus is offline Abraham Sapien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Over all, I gave this one four stars.

It certainly was much better than many of the other Teen Titan episodes I have watched, and leads me to want to learn more about Slade's fascination in Terra. The only real thing that bothered me were the too many anime expressions, and it passed by too quickly.

Over all, I'm happy with this episode, and can't wait for the next one envolving its sequal.

Y'know, I heard Swedish chicks dig fish guys. It's a well-known fact.

Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A good episode. People are scratching their heads about Terra being so sensitive about controlling her powers, but think about it. She's like 12 years old, and she's been chased out of towns for her powers being destructive. Of COURSE she's sensitive about it. It's all too easy for Slape to manipulate her. She doesn't have our (questionable) maturity, and I think people seem to forget that sometimes when analyzing.

The wild takes and funny drawings are the core of the show and if you don't like them, learn to like them. Or watch Justice League for its precious STIFF AND BORING animation.

Nick K. is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was a good ep. If Terra returns, it should be good, looks like Slade wants her to be his new Apprentice r sumtin... Anyway, 4 stars after the horrible BB ep last week!

MJC
    MJC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was OK, but there were two glaring problems.

1. The BB/Terra thing was incredibly, incredibly forced.

2. I didn't buy the "Don't tell anybody I can't control my powers" thing. It was very, very obvious, and that makes Terra look stupid for thinking only BB knew. I also don't see why she wouldn't want to tell anybody.

I give it 3 stars.
    The world's 225 richest people now have a combined wealth of $1 trillion. That's equal to the combined annual income of the world's 2.5 billion poorest people.

Something to think about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like I said on the CN forum it was good. Terra is introduced, and the Judas Contract starts. I enjoyed the Beast Boy/Terra stuff as well. And I understood her sensitivity. At her age, and probably even older, and given her past, it is no doubt that she would be so sensitive about it. And now Slade is going to mainipulate that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    It was OK, but there were two glaring problems.

1. The BB/Terra thing was incredibly, incredibly forced.
    I did not think that it was forced at all. Trying to fit a relation into 30 minutes is difficult, and could have been done better, but I didn't find it incredibly forced. Beast Boy's just the type of character to act that way around the girls, and when one finally found him funny, he didn't know how to act, except in love.

Thanos is offline The Mad Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope the Beast Boy/Terra interaction doesn't become a love interest. Thats just disgusting. Seriously. Thats disgusting.

But overall this was an alright episode. Thats high praise considering I really don't like Teen Titans. I felt Terra's dialogue was stupid but the story wasn't completely horrible. But there are definitely a lot of things that anyone could find wrong with this episode.
    "You get the other guy on the ropes. You keep him there. You mangle his ears. Fill his eyes with blood. Pulp his kidneys. Grind up his ribs. Don't let up. And if he still won't hit the canvas--you go on and bleed him to death."- Frank Castle

Anarky is offline Team Conan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    tight
    glad to see Slade kicking arse again
    looking forward to the epic conclusion of the Terra subplot.

btw: where'd that huge ass scorpion come from???
    Sonicsgate.org :a 2-hour documentary chronicling the unique circumstances that led to the Sonics' exodus to OKC

(1967-2008) Seattle Supersonics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope the Beast Boy/Terra interaction doesn't become a love interest. Thats just disgusting. Seriously. Thats disgusting.
    What on earth is disgusting about it? They're the same age. Their relationship would make more sense than any other Beast Boy pairing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarky
    btw: where'd that huge ass scorpion come from???
    Thats a great point. I guess they couldn't think of a better way to introduce a new character.
    "You get the other guy on the ropes. You keep him there. You mangle his ears. Fill his eyes with blood. Pulp his kidneys. Grind up his ribs. Don't let up. And if he still won't hit the canvas--you go on and bleed him to death."- Frank Castle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wilson
    What on earth is disgusting about it? They're the same age. Their relationship would make more sense than any other Beast Boy pairing.
    Its Beast Boy. He is green and is sort of an animal.

Slane is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Reposted from Cartoon Network Forum:

As someone who has never read the Teen Titans comic and relying on only Internet information, I was looking forward to see how the writers would adapt Terra and her storyline; after all, I don't believe there was any treatment of Slade (Terminator...whatever) as having a fixation on making Robin his tutor [...That didn't sound right...], but the apprenticeship and all the symbolism added to the first season was spectacular.

Unfortunately, this second season looks to have a rather cliche theme going on.

We have the cliche love angle (although it was very cute and funny seeing Terra and Beast Boy interacting...but I wish they built it up more gradually; seeing the two go off arm-in-arm to fight Slade was too fast), the cliche "Your friends aren't really your friends because you are different" theme, and the "You told my secret!" conflict. The last two I listed really over-simplify Judas Contract; I wouldn't want the story to follow as it did in the comics, but come on! Would it have been that bad to let Terra stay with the Titans? Couldn't there be another way to see how Slade would handle recruiting her if she was now on the good guys' team? Or couldn't there be some better excuse for why Terra didn't stay? I hate to attack cliches with other cliches, but how about, "If I stayed, you guys would get hurt...just like everyone else. I have to figure out how to control this on my own"? Granted, I think that's one reason she left, but...jeez, her running away without any real purpose or direction just doesn't leave the same dramatic feeling.

I also liked Robin's sympathy towards BB at the end; too bad BB did not really seem emotional enough. I also wish that we had something more to go on than Slade's analysis of Terra's prior superheroics; hearing that she was run out for trying to help others with her uncontrolled powers was not really descriptive. The writers may draw this out later, so maybe a mental montage of all her failures wasn't necessary for this episode.

Oh, and Terra eating all the nasty food was really funny too.

-----

Now the new stuff:

Matt: Always with the Justice League cracks with you! Yes, the anime expressions are fun. Do understand, however, that the animation is all about tone; Teen Titans is fun, so there is a lot of exaggeration and fluidness, but Justice League chooses to be serious (not melodramatic, at least not all the time), so it has to be "stiff and boring." Consider it like comparing the earlier episodes of Trigun to the later ones (yes, there was anime exaggeration even in the later ones, but I'm just giving a quick example from my sleep-deprived mind), or Ed, Edd n Eddy versus...uh...could someone give me a realistic cartoon that I can compare to the wilder, cartoony antics of the former?

And like I said, the "My friends will hate me!" angle just seems cliche; you rationalized it well, but I just wish there was some other way to make it original AND realistic. [Okay, now someone give me the "there are only seven stories in the world out there" argument, because you would be absolutely correct without that stance.]

Thanos: What is disgusting about Beast Boy/Terra? Youth? If that's the case, forget the Robin/Starfire relationship than. The fact BB is so immature or the fact that Terra eats like a pig? I'm not going to say that's a good reason for the two to couple up, but they are similar characters with similar interests who have forged a strong friendship; how is a couple out of the question?

Then again, I always thought Raven and BB would hook up; if you want to call that disgusting, I would understand more, but I still think it would be a cute relationship.

EDIT: Matt beat me to the BB/Terra analysis. Uh...so Terra with BB is then beastiality, I take it? Sorry to laugh, but that's a pretty funny look at the situation.

Slane's blog: Barely updated...

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent episode. Terra had a good introduction, and her powers were beautifully animated. Beast Boy's attraction to her right off the bat was over-the-top, but not really surprising considering his character. Her maturity level is on-par with her self-esteem problems and was believable for the most part. Slade's manipulation was predictable, but still a great scene to watch. What a sad ending for Beast Boy!

Other thoughts that didn't fit with the paragraph:

Slade, as always, dominated the episode with his cold, clear voice and great dialogue.

Best use of a hair clip in a television show.

Terra and I are alike in our ability to eat nauseating amounts of food and still look like twigs.

I'm curious as to just how many people can live in Titans Tower? When they built it they must have had future residents in mind, seeing as how every superhero team will vary in numbers and members as time goes by. Besides, it certainly looks big enough to accomodate more than five people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    He's not an animal, he has shapeshifting powers. His green skins no different than say Terra's fleshtone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh. I... was hoping for a REAL answer.

Nick K. is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Temple Fugate

Best use of a hair clip in a television show.
    You are winner of funniest thing I've ever read at ToonZone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernus
    He's not an animal, he has shapeshifting powers. His green skins no different than say Terra's fleshtone.
    Ok, ok. I never said he was an animal. I didn't know my comment was going to have so much feedback. I take it back if that'll make everyone happy.

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slane
    Consider like comparing the earlier episodes of Trigun to the later ones (yes, there was anime exaggeration even in the later ones, but I'm just giving a quick example from my sleep-deprived mind), or Ed, Edd n Eddy versus...uh...could someone give me a realistic cartoon that I can compare to the wilder, cartoony antics of the former?
    Recess?
    (Dang...you beat me to the beastiality pun.)

And thank you, JL Kid. I'm not worthy. :anime:

Iamthafacts is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know if it's the funniest, but it was funny

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast