Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: Did you enjoy Avengers #71?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%
  • **** 1/2

1 33.33%

1 33.33%
  • *** 1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • ** 1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • * 1/2

0 0%

1 33.33%
    wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Avengers #71 Talkback thread, (SPOILERS)!

Like This Thread!

October 15th

AVENGERS #71
    Written by Geoff Johns
    Pencils by Steve Sadowski
    Cover by J.G. Jones

Synopsis: In this stand-alone story, the Wasp & Yellowjacket head to Las Vegas… How come? Could it be..?

Marvel PG

$2.25

Can someone add a picture of the cover? I can't seem to find one...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *sigh* Can someone add a poll? I started to, but pushed the wrong buttong...

Basically, I posted this thread, cause I wanna know, (for those who actually picked up the issue, if anyone did, that is):

Was there too much sex and violence?

Just the right amount?

Was there not enough?

Was there a controversy here at all, (there's seems to have been leading up to this issues release...)

Cyber E. is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Beware, this is SPOILERIFIC.

Frankly, and this is basing this off not remembering the unneeded sex and abuse scenes, this is one of the worst stories I have seen with Geoff Johns name on the cover.

Quite frankly, and I'm not even going to try and remember the horror of unneeded sex and abuse scenes, this is one of the worst stories I have seen with Geoff Johns name on the cover.

This was hyped to have an MR rating, which I still can't find an issue that doesn't have PSR. The begining could have been hinted at, but to see Hank[ with "sweat", as the artist said in an interview] saying the lines "--your turn"? Good God. And it wasn't just that, but Whirlwind beating up a hooker dressed like Janet, and then LICKING HER FACE WHILE SHE IS UNCONSCIOUS?

This issue isn't horrible because of a plot that came out of nowhere, or because I never knew such a great writer to write such, and I try to avoid using this as often as possible, trash. Its horrible because it was allowed to be written. I thank God that Jemas is gone, because when you have to resort to writing garbage like this, there is no hope for you.

I would give this a D- to be nice, but I just can't. F.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I didn't mind the controversial subject matter. I did mind that it was used to trick me into buying a crummy fill-in with amatuerish art. Only the one controversial page is well-drawn.

I liked that Jan and Hank had creative superpowered sex. I didn't like that Jan was drawn with the big fake-looking boobs every superhero comic heroine seems to have. I didn't like Whirlwind abruptly growing a new character trait, that no tears were shed for the hooker he killed and that Jan stays with Hank even after he makes a fist when she starts to reject him.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Storm is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A poll is now added to the thread.

- Storm
    Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.

Super Secret Agent Girl

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnHopkins
    I didn't like Whirlwind abruptly growing a new character trait, that no tears were shed for the hooker he killed and that Jan stays with Hank even after he makes a fist when she starts to reject him.

I didn't see him 'make a fist' towards her, i.e. "I'm gonna hit you!" I saw him clench his fist in frustration and anger...what's a man supposed to do when a woman rejects him? He comes back from it, and just a few moments later, he's apologizing, and admitting that he was a bad husband.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The point is, Hank's problems with frustration and anger ended their marriage. The clenched fist indicates he's not over them, and is also symbolic of the prior abuse. If Hank had grown enough to be with Jan he wouldn't have responded to her rejection with anger.

Do you always respond to rejection with physical signs of anger? Should a man in his 30s get mad every time he doesn't get his way?
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnHopkins
    The point is, Hank's problems with frustration and anger ended their marriage. The clenched fist indicates he's not over them, and is also symbolic of the prior abuse. If Hank had grown enough to be with Jan he wouldn't have responded to her rejection with anger.

Do you always respond to rejection with physical signs of anger? Should a man in his 30s get mad every time he doesn't get his way?

True...you may very well be right that his face contorting in anger symbolizes that he still does indeed have anger problems to cope with...but I just don't believe he was about to hit her...he was upset, but not violently so...but that's just my reading of the scene. It could also mean that the anger is directed towards himself, because he knows he's the reason their marriage ended. I say that because, (again): a moment later, he's relaxed, and also apologizing for being the biggest A-hole of a husband there ever was in comics...

Domino is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved the cover. Mom always said if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. Wait, that wasn't my mother. Who told me that?

I thought it was a pretty typical issue of the Ultimates. Unfortunately someone published it as the Avengers. One star for the cover.