0 0%

0 0%
  • * 1/2

0 0%

0 0%
    Hatter is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic Four Vol. 3 #67-70 and Vol. 1 #500 Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

FANTASTIC FOUR #67

COVER BY: Mike Wieringo
    STORY BY: Mark Waid
    ARTWORK BY: Mike Wieringo

THE STORY: "UNTHINKABLE" Part 1 (of 5) Three words: DOCTOR DOOM Returns!

Comments?

(Yeah, I know, I shamelessly ripped off Jim Harvey's format. But, it works!)

Hatter is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This issue was incredibly sweet. We finally get to see the dynamic duo of Waid & Wieringo take on the FF's ultimate foe...

Loved Doom's slick, suit & mask look. Very low-key, but still chilling.
    And that twist ending - wow. Especially putting it after the letters like that, hehe.

The new arc is going to be a thing of beauty!

Hatter is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Say, just thought of something -
    Does this mean that the "sorcerous" attack on the children in issue #60 was actually the work of Doom, perhaps testing some of his magical knowledge? It would tie in nicely with the new plotline...

Reed Richards is offline Mr. Fantastic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    an EXCELLENT hypothesis my friend

seeing as how this issue is CLEARLY labeled 'prologue' its entirely possible that Doom's, shall we say, career change, occured months ago-- and that he is reponsible for the "attacks" on the children.

Waid and Weiringo are gods-- ive never enjoyed a non-lee/kirby FF more than these past few issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great setup issue. I can't wait to see where this goes.

superprime is offline Real American Hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i really liked it. Man I didn't realize Doom hated the Fantastic Four so much that he's kill the only woman he's ever loved to be able to beat them. The new armor's ok but I definetly liked the old one better.

Storm is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic Four #70 Talkback (Spoilers)

Story: Mark Waid
    Art: Mike Wieringo
    Cover: Mike Wieringo
    Premise: "UNTHINKABLE" Pt 3 (of 4) It’s Doom triumphant in the penultimate issue of this must-have story arc!

Loved it or hated it?

- Storm
    Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.

Super Secret Agent Girl

Hatter is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently, none of my local shops got it this week... due to "Jean-Paul Batiste Day" or something. It's only going to ship next week!
    Good thing I picked up Night Falls on Yancy Street to sate my FF fix...

Rand is offline The Detective
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Loved it.

The last couple of pages were a -real- twist. First, Richards not -knowing- how to read 'magic' ... isn't it a language just like any other? Subject to the same rules? It's not nonsense, after all...

... and just -who- write the message in fire, hmmm? Franklin? Valeria? Hooboy.
    Comicverses - Be the creative vision behind your favorite comic characters in this online RPG!

Domino is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This issue is what comic books should be like...all the time!

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Very gripping issue over all. I love it when the heroes get their butts handed to them. It makes their triumph in the next issue all the more spectacular!

Joe Wagner is offline The one, true Scarlet Spider!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Waid continues to deliver what an excellent story is supposed to be and this issue was Fantastic. Not only do we get to see the FF completely at the will of Dr. Doom but he's easily exploiting Mr. Fantastic's weakness - his inability to understand the basis of magic. Considering all of the reference materials at his disposal it is highly likely that Reed will find some form of solution but with his powers gone will he be able to take on the world's second most sorcerer supreme? Should be interesting. And the scene of Ben getting smacked around, Sue on fire and Johnny stretched beyond his limits.....WOW! I can't remember ever seeing the FF that badly beaten . FF #71 should be an excellent read.....

-Joe!
    "Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."
    - Prime Minister Winston Churchill

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

Stu
    Stu is online now Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic Four #500 Talkback (Spoilers)

Unbreakable part 4 of 4

Not a misprint! Marvel celebrates its first series to reach 500 issues by returning FANTASTIC FOUR to its original numbering! And in this double-sized conclusion to “UNTHINKABLE”, its the FF vs. Doom for all the marbles - and you wont believe the tragic ending.

Writer - Mark Waid
    Cover and Pencils - Mike Wirrengo

Comments?
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've loved Waid's run in general, and "Unthinkable" in particular, but I was a little disappointed with this issue. It was a very good tale about the limitations and similarities of Reed and Doom, but I was kinda sorta looking forward to a giant cosmic apocalyptic FF battle. But, hey, that's my hangup, it was still a good issue. And even though the heading clearly says "spoilers", I'll eludicate in inviso-text:

Spoiler:
    The way Reed finally discovered how to wield magic was cute, but it became a little too much after awhile. The whole fight basically consisted of Reed coming up with different ways of saying "I'm dumb" and shooting rays out of a weird magical gun-thing

And about the issue's shocker ending:

Spoiler:
    It was immediately shocking, true, but it's not the kind of ending that'll have any long-lasting effects. It's the same thing as Thing's facial scar from so long ago...a few months of moping, then getting over it, then boom, his face is back to normal. Does anyone not think that the second Waid's off the book Reed's face will go back to normal?

However, what I DID love was

Spoiler:
    Doctor Strange schooling Reed like an unruly punk student, and the way Reed tricked Doom into breaking his mystical pact. It didn't have the usual lame impact of the "hero playing to villain's vanity" shtick. Doom really WAS tapping into a higher power, and it's completely conceivable that his ego would let him forget it.

And of course, Ringo's art was top-notch. I'm sure gonna miss these two.

Oh, and I hope that sales dropped DRAMATICALLY for this issue just because it was numbered #500. I hope half the comic buying community went "Issue 500? I'm not gonna buy a book that's at 500 already!" Just as a sort of cosmic joke to all the idiots obsessed with restarting books from #1...

SEAN

Cyber E. is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright, just got done reading the issue, so here's my review...

FANTASTIC FOUR [VOL III] #500 [#71] REVIEW
    First off, I'd like to say that Mark Waid is one of my favorite writers. He has a unique style that brings a different style on the characters he uses, and the Fantastic Four is perfect for him.

Unthinkable, up to now, has been an odd storyline where you're not really sure what the heck is going on. What's going to happen next? What is Reed going to do? How can Doom be stopped? These questions have been keeping it interesting, especially when you can't predict the next move. This issue, however, seemed predictable. Given, near the end I was still wondering how it was going to end.

But, when I finally got to the last pages, I found that it was a brilliant story, acted out but masterful writing and excellent art, but it wasn't anything special. It was a great story, but it didn't stand out too far from the previous Waid/Wieringo issues, except it features a kick butt Dr. Doom.

After enjoying most of the storyline, this issue had some downsides, but it was still a fun and enjoyable read. ****1/2
    -Cyber

The Habanero is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Neither of the 2 comic shops in my town have ANY!!! None were shipped to them! Don't know what thats about

Karkull is offline Mod of Chaos
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's about time that someone tried a new take on Dr. Doom, and I'm glad that it was Mark Waid that pulled it off. As for Richard's facial deformity, can't an elastic man morph it off?
    "You don't have the tools to defeat me."
    --Karkull, "The Hand of Fate"

The Justice League Watchtower -- Now 99.9% Wonder Twin-free!

Cyber E. is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karkull
    As for Richard's facial deformity, can't an elastic man morph it off?
    I'd think that since Doom probably used magic to scar him, it would probably be harder than to just use his power. Go figure.

-Cyber

peterparker05 is offline The Hopeless Romantic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just bought this issue today. I hadn't read the rest of the Unthinkable arc, but I plan to buy the tpb. It was excellent. Great storytelling and perfect characterizations. Dr. Doom has to be one of the greatest villains in the Marvel Universe. I didn't care so much for Reed's scarring, I was hoping for something different, but it did stay true with Mark Waid's words that someone would walk away scarred. I wonder what the follow-up that Waid talked about will be like. This is a great title. I wonder how the new writers will handle it.
    When life hands you lemons, ask for Tequila and Salt.

Make like Rick Blaine and make her go on the plane. It's the right thing to do.

superprime is offline Real American Hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really liked it. This issue really cemented my thought that the point of the story was to give Reed a lesson in humility. I was surprised at how vicious everyone, Sue especially, was to Doom. The Fantastic Four just never struck me as the type of team that would be that ferocious in battle, even against Doom. The ending took me by surprise too. I's heard Doom did something to Reed's face but I thought it would just be a little scar, not something that covered half his face. After seeing how great this issue turned out, I'm even more saddened Waid got fired.