View Poll Results: Rate And Comment On This Storyline!

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%
  • ****1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • ***1/2

1 100.00%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Ed Liu is online now Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Incredible Hulk #34 - 76 "Return of the Monster" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    Howdy,

Anybody out there read this title? If not, the current issue looks like a good jumping-on point (<-- SUBTLE HINT). So, how about we make this for discussion of the last arc and the new one just starting. Basically, a talkback from the beginning of the last arc to this arc, to now, and beyond.

The story in this issue is that Bruce Banner, on the run from the law and shadier elements, is caught during a convenience store robbery. The police negotiator who arrives on the scene is still recovering from a bank robbery gone wrong. And what is the FBI doing here?

Bruce Jones is simply marvelous at graphical storytelling, and the artwork is very reminiscent of John Romita Jr. Jones has taken the Hulk back to basic principles: the tension between the man and the monster. He very effectively spreads that tension throughout all the major players of this story: all the characters have inner demons they are wrestling with, leading to an incredibly tense situation where we're left wondering who's going to snap first.

My one question for regular readers is, "Who's the girl in the bikini Banner sees after he contemplates what will happen if he Hulks out?"

I picked up an issue of Hulk in the middle of the last arc while I was waiting for a train, and was seriously blown away by what I read. I'm really looking forward to the TPB coming later this summer.

Comments?
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"...ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
    -- Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ive got one issue where he uses her to "focus" on in order to contain his emotions, and thus the big green machine

could it be Ms. Ross?

Clayface is offline Molecularly Malleable Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    INteresting set-up, but I sort of felt let down by the issue, since it really was nothing more than a set-up. Kinda wanted more for my money, i guess.

"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself between the sounds
    And open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin.
    I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random, or what ever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
    Spiral out. Keep going"
    -Tool, Lateralus

"Be ashamed to die unless you have won some victory for humanity." -Horace Mann

MattL. is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the back to basics approach, but I really hate the Vertigo style execution and the weird aversion to showing the Hulk at all.

Yeah, geez if that happens somebody might think this is a comicbook. Cuz you know, thats such an awful thing and will prevent us from the oh so holy grail of mainstream acceptance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Picked up Incredible Hulk #41. Hmm, well, it took an interesting twist in the storyline with this issue, but I still feel like maybe this book is moving a little too slow.

I just jumped onto the title 3 or 4 issues ago, and so far have enjoyed it enough that it keeps me coming back each month, even if it is slow. Hopefully it'll continue to pick up.

I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random, or what ever will bewilder me.
    Spiral out. Keep going"
    -Tool, Lateralus

Cogliostro is offline Finish it...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The plot thickens dun dun dun :-p
    "Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

kid_flash is offline Speedy Teen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't read HULK #40, which is why I haven't commented on #41 yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Incredible Hulk #43 was a great issue. Loved the way the story was ended, and that whole "mutated by Hulk blood" thing was disgustingly cool.

Spiral out. Keep going"
    -Tool, Lateralus

Ed Liu is online now Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think Bruce Jones is the best Hulk writer since Peter David. My one gripe with this issue is the whole Coleridge thing. While it does mirror the situation, it's kind of incongruous. "Hey, I just pumped you full of enough drugs to stagger an elephant and am dragging you to an ambiguous scientific agency for them to dissect you. Let's talk about an 18th Century poem." Um, wha?
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"...ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
    -- Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man

kid_flash is offline Speedy Teen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Once you get past a super-secret agency leaving their communicators on an open frequency (which I didn't realize until Sally said "I hope it's an open frequency") this was really good.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast