Quantcast
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Talon is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Is part of the problem that comic book creators are asking for too much money when working for Marvel/DC? You want to create your own independent comic book, great, it's your creation, charge whatever you want for a cover price. But for Marvel/DC, do it for the love of superheroes, not for earning a paycheck. If Bendis and John Romita Jr. are asking too much, give it to a new up and comer and let him do it for the love of comics.*

* = all of the above is spoken as a "fanboy", and I certainly want good living wages for commission artwork, but I'm just wondering if this is also part of the rising costs of comic books.
    Rising compensation costs could be what's causing high prices, but this sounds like it would create more problems than it would solve. Marvel and DC are already infamous for screwing over creators like Jack Kirby and Alan Moore.

Ed Liu is offline Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Is part of the problem that comic book creators are asking for too much money when working for Marvel/DC? You want to create your own independent comic book, great, it's your creation, charge whatever you want for a cover price. But for Marvel/DC, do it for the love of superheroes, not for earning a paycheck. If Bendis and John Romita Jr. are asking too much, give it to a new up and comer and let him do it for the love of comics.*

* = all of the above is spoken as a "fanboy", and I certainly want good living wages for commission artwork, but I'm just wondering if this is also part of the rising costs of comic books.
    That would be a consideration if the cover price of a book was dependent on the creative team doing it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Warren Ellis and Brian Wood are both known creators, but I'd definitely say Warren Ellis can command a much higher price from his profile in the industry. Moon Knight didn't drop in cover price when Ellis left and Wood took over. You also don't see a drop in cover prices when Jim Lee leaves a title like Justice League -- I can't think of anybody else in the biz who could command a higher premium as a creator than Jim Lee. I don't think there is a built-in market for a new Ghost Rider character, I've never heard of Felipe Smith, and I don't think Damion Scott is enough of a name-brand that many comic buyers will get the book because of him. However, the new Ghost Rider comic is $3.99, same as the latest Guardians of the Galaxy comic by Brian Michael Bendis and Ed McGuinness (who are both decidedly higher profile than either creator for Ghost Rider).

If creative costs are figuring strongly into cover price of a comic, it's more due to rising page rates that are coming because of cost-of-living adjustments, not because comic creators are able to demand higher page rates.

Besides, I very much doubt that anybody working for DC or Marvel these days is doing anything purely out of the love of the characters. I start getting suspicious any time anybody suggests that love is a better reward than money 'cuz you can't pay your mortgage with a love of superheroes. I'm sure Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster loved Superman, but I don't begrudge them their sense that they were grossly underpaid for what DC earned from the character.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"...ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
    -- Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123