Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Comic Book "News and Rumors" Thread (2014 edition)

Like This Thread!
    Post here about the latest Comic Book News and Rumors!!

This thread exists for discussion of comic book news stories making waves, or for comic book rumors circulating the web. Certainly, if you think a comic book news story is big enough (and many will be), please start a thread devoted specifically to that news story!

This is the place to discuss news stories about events in your favorite comics, interviews with writers/artists, promotional news releases by publishers, and gossip on what's going on behind the scenes...unless it's a major "THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING" event.

So remember: Breaking news that reveals Mary Jane Watson had Doctor Octopus' baby? That deserves it's own thread. Interview with the creative team for the latest Batman spinoff title? Might be fine to just post that here.

These are not strict rules, so don't sweat it too much when deciding where to post a news story, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM a moderator!

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Comics Alliance interviews Mark Waid about his restart on the Hulk. In it, I think he nails the problem that I have with the "reboot" of Justice League for the New 52 that I wrote about earlier, when he discusses how he approaches writing a new #1 issue:

you sit down and you make a checklist for yourself of everything you need to know as a new reader, if you’ve never picked up the book before. Then you find a way to integrate it into a story.
    He goes into some detail about what he did (and missed) specifically on Hulk, but I think that sentence there sums up my issues with the New 52: I don't think everything you'd need to know as a new reader is there, and a lot of the stuff that you need to know isn't integrated into the story as much as it's a perfunctory drop-in. I stand by my assertion that the major problem of New 52 Justice League is that it assumes you already know a lot about these characters while trying to tell you, "But this is the first time" and I don't think those two things added together leads to anything good.

He also has some choice words for the New 52 which reinforces my idea that DC is trying to Marvel-ize their comics more than they really should, but the whole interview is worth reading even if you're not reading Hulk. And I might have to see if my library has those reprints so I can read Mark Waid's Hulk because it sounds fascinating.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In other words, DC's top guns didn't think things completely through 2 1/2 years ago. Why am I not surprised? The only DC books I read now are Batman '66 & Scooby-Doo Team-Up, which is a tribute to the Scooby-Batman teamings from 1972.

Marvel has its own flaws, too (read: Loeb & Quesada in the TV department), but it's like comparing Hertz to Avis, or WWE to TNA, take your pick.

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Brett Booth addresses the return of Wally West in New 52 - BRETT BOOTH On the New 52 WALLY WEST: 'He Will Be Different' | Newsarama.com

Wally West is probably my favorite Flash and I was far from happy with how he got benched due to Barry Allen's time travel shenanigans in "Flashpoint", but I'm not sure I trust the New 52 to bring him back with anything resembling the characterization I knew and loved. Yes, I know Booth's interview is headlined with "he will be different" but the character needs to retain at least some of the qualities that made him a favorite in the first place, otherwise he's not Wally West.

Also not sure how I feel about his new look (if that is in fact his new look).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    From what I found out, the Looney Tunes comics from DC started since February 1994. I think DC should consider doing a 20th Anniversary celebration of the comic book series. Readers like me would pay good money to see that happen.

Stu
    Stu is online now Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ed, I see exactly what you mean about that Mark Waid interview and your thoughts on the new 52, which simply wasn't new reader friendly at all. There was so much potential in that relaunch that was literally squandered by how half asses it all was. I'm still not entirely sure it needed to happen, for the amount it has changed the characters (beyond their underoo-less costumes).

I still need to pick up Indestructible Hulk, Waid has wrote my favourite issues of Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Justice League, I expect his Hulk (and Banner) will be awesome too.
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Via ComicsAlliance, an article from UPI talking with Pakistani women about the new Ms. Marvel. I'm actually not sure which I find more interesting: the reactions themselves or Joseph Hughes' take on them. I'm simultaneously encouraged and discouraged by the reactions in the article: encouraged because Pakistanis are (mostly) viewing the change as positive for them and for perceptions in America, but discouraged because they seem to think that Kamala Khan is going to get her own movie deal tomorrow, or that she will neatly avoid the fate of apathy that has hit nearly every new character introduced by DC or Marvel in the past decade or so. Also discouraged by the views that see an American conspiracy at work, just because I think that reflects how deep-seated the mindset is in Pakistan that it MUST be an American conspiracy, even if they can't see what it is or how it would work. I think there are lots of sociological reasons for that mentality, but this isn't the time or the place to dig into that other than pointing out that it exists.

On the other hand, Joseph Hughes' comment about how, "I don't see what difference it makes" is something that I've experienced personally and where I can tell that people (especially through on-line discussion) really can't tell why something can make me happy or tick me off so strongly. I always got a kick out of seeing Mr. Sulu on Star Trek, even if he didn't do much in the episode. He was an Asian guy who looked and sounded like me, not the thick accented, buck-toothed stereotypes I couldn't recognize (and which predominated back when I was a kid), let alone the yellowface actors that were still around into the 70's and 80's (it was still acceptable for Peter Ustinov to put makeup to be Charlie Chan in 1981). But I also know there's a lot of people with good intentions who don't get why I feel so strongly about either one.

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wanna get killed in a comic book? Terry Moore has a deal for you to end up as a corpse in Rachel Rising (which is weird and wonderful and unlike anything Moore has done before, which is also what I'd say about Echo, which was pretty radically different from Strangers in Paradise). Or, if you go for this and want your entry to go viral, post here, eh?

Also from the Beat: Image publisher Eric Stephenson talks about the year that was and the recent Image Expo. Interesting read, especially when he talks about the issues of diversity in the staff that were raised a little while ago on a blog somewhere, and in Image's recent success stories. I can say that I ended up getting a lot more Image books last year than I had in some time for sure.

-- Josh Billings

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dark Horse announces the Stan Sakai project, a benefit comic book jam where all the proceeds will be donated to Stan, to help him deal with some major personal issues he's grappling with now.

I already donated to CAPS, but I'm gonna pre-order this book so hard...uh...I dunno, the mouse is gonna hurt? Something like that.

-- Josh Billings

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Eric Stephenson, publisher for Image Comics, takes a major shot at where the American comic book industry is now and where he thinks it should be. The fact that Image figures prominently into it is less important than the number of things he articulates that make me think he was reading my mind and then putting it into coherent, concrete terms.

On where DC and Marvel tend to be these days:

Constantly re-launching, re-numbering, and re-booting series after series, staging contrived events designed to appeal to a demographic destined only to a slow march toward attrition, and pretending that endless waves of nostalgia for old movies, old toys, old cartoons, and old video games somehow equals ideas or innovation will not make us stronger.
    Some of that sounds familiar...

Immediately afterwards, regarding nostalgia and writing comics for adults:

Nostalgia has its place, and I’ll admit, there can be a certain sepia-toned appeal to fondly looking back on our younger, more innocent days, but if we want this industry to outlive us, we have to start looking at things like grown ups.

Superheroes are great.

I grew up reading superhero comics.

But over the years, when the writers and artists and editors and publishers I looked up to talked about advancing the medium, about producing more challenging content, and creating comics that appealed to adults, never once did I mistake what they were saying to be, “We need to find a way for superhero comics to appeal to more adults.”

This is the comic book industry, not the superhero industry...
    On licensed comics (which I'll admit to buying my share of):

Like I said, THE WALKING DEAD comic book was selling great before it was a television show.

Now it sells even better.

And that’s because the show made people aware of the comic – and those people came to your stores to get that comic.

Because they want the real thing.

TRANSFORMERS comics will never be the real thing.

GI JOE comics will never be the real thing.

STAR WARS comics will never be the real thing.

Those comics are for fans that love the real thing so much, they want more – but there’s the important thing to understand:

They don’t want more comics – they just want more of the thing they love.
    I'd probably argue about G.I. Joe only because I love Larry Hama's G.I. Joe and the 80's TV show G.I. Joe, but they're different enough from each other that I'd call them different products with common ancestry, and they've both evolved on different branches of the tree over time. They're chimps and orangutans, or something like that. But I take his point nonetheless.

He also talks about getting more women reading comics and Image's success at that, and the prospect that BKV and Fiona Staples' Saga is about to become the next breakout cross-media hit, but all his comments are worth reading.

But he nails why I've left DC and Marvel behind, for the most part (Ms. Marvel is the exception, but it breaks enough of the trends he's describing that I'm willing to look at it as one of the newer things Marvel's done in a while), and I don't expect they're too happy to hear him openly slamming the techniques they're using repeatedly.

-- Josh Billings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast