Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Stu
    Stu is online now Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Thor: The Dark World" Week - Loki, Marvel's Big Bad?

Like This Thread!

Ho!

With Thor: The Dark World set to hit theatres stateside on November 9th, both The Marvel Animation Forum and Comic Book Culture will be celebrating it's release as we did with The Wolverine and Iron Man Three. New threads (and a few other things) will be posted on a daily basis, so please check each day up until the film's release on Friday.

With his appearance in the original Thor movie and the conclusion of 'Phase One' with it's follow up in The Avengers, Loki has been placed as the main villain of the Marvel cinematic universe and he is making his third appearance in this week's Thor: The Dark World, in which Thor must seek his half brother's help when all the nine realms are threatened with the appearance of a foe as old as time.

Loki's popularity has sky rocketed since the Thor film, which many attribute to the amazing performances of Tom Hiddlestone, who despite not caring about a single life on Earth, is a charming and charismatic villain as one could ever hope to see.

Loki has never been a massive, massive villain in the comic book continuity on the level of say, Galactus, Dr. Doom or even in recent times, Norman Osborn. Do you think it's time The God of Mischief became a bigger threat than what he has previously presented as or do you think the current writers and artists are doing a fine job with him as is?

Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No. He's never really been evil and oppressive enough to be a big bad like Dr. Doom. At the end of the day he's a trickster, not a conqueror.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Loki can never be the "Big Baddie" like Norman Osborn, Thanos, or Dr. Doom. He's the Marvel Universe's Vegeta - the villain always being tolerated, hoping he'll redeem, but he's usually in it for himself. He works best at Thor's side, working with him at times, but always out for himself first and foremost. He's not a villain you can stick in a far away castle plotting Thor's demise from afar, he works best in Odin's court (like Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings). I think the new film is going to capture that aspect perfectly.

Loki is one of the best things to come out of the Marvel Movie Universe - Hiddlestone has done a lot to enlarge that character in the memories of moviegoers.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Loki can never be the "Big Baddie" like Norman Osborn, Thanos, or Dr. Doom. He's the Marvel Universe's Vegeta - the villain always being tolerated, hoping he'll redeem, but he's usually in it for himself. He works best at Thor's side, working with him at times, but always out for himself first and foremost. He's not a villain you can stick in a far away castle plotting Thor's demise from afar, he works best in Odin's court (like Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings). I think the new film is going to capture that aspect perfectly.

Loki is one of the best things to come out of the Marvel Movie Universe - Hiddlestone has done a lot to enlarge that character in the memories of moviegoers.
    True. Next to Robert Downey Jr.s' Iron Man he's probably the second-best take.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't want Loki to be more evil, movie universe Loki is the perfect approach IMO: very corrupted by his flaws and, being a trickster, one to be feared for his cunning as much or more so than any supernatural powers he possesses. That said, I'm not sure how much it's been done in the comics, but a big element of what made movieverse Loki tick was this drive to outdo Thor and prove his worth in his own twisted way. That was interesting and well done to the point that he was downright sympathetic at times - in Thor, at least. In Avengers he was pretty well off the deep end because of that movie. It's thanks to that setup that his bid to conquer was something more than a standard villainous gambit, and the comics could do worse than taking a few pages from all that.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like how's approached right now, not completely good but not completely bad, the hero of his own story, getting humbled by the Hulk. Puny god. Plus, when it comes to Thor's rogues, there's far more evil ones out there.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 23, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Neo-god is offline Moonrider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really dislike movie Loki. My idea of Loki is that he should be like the Joker on a cosmic level, a pure force of chaos with complex motives, rather than just a manchild with unresolved issues.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo-god View Post
    Really dislike movie Loki. My idea of Loki is that he should be like the Joker on a cosmic level, a pure force of chaos with complex motives, rather than just a manchild with unresolved issues.
    Sorry, a "cosmic version of the Joker" he will never be. Yes, he's sometimes an agent of chaos, but it's not chaos for chaos sake. And he's best used in the Thor corner of the Universe - he's never going to be a world conqueror. Having said that, I do want to take a moment to recommend a couple of great appearances by Loki outside of Thor:

Avengers #400:

A stand alone story celebrating 400 issues of Avengers. Written by Mark Waid, on one hand, it's kind of a tribute to Jarvis. But the story also uses Loki very well.

Amazing Spider-Man #503-504:

Loki teams up with Spider-Man to protect the lives of one of his offspring (yes, Loki, like many other Greek and Norse gods, has apparently had some "favorable" encounters with mortals throughout the ages).

Neo-god is offline Moonrider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You're right, it won't happen. That's just what I would be interested in personally.

Overall, I prefer Kirby's Fourth World to Thor/Asgard for that reason.

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    While I know that Marvel Universe Norse myths have about as much in common with the source material as the Incredible Hulk has with actual gamma ray radiation physics, one thing that I thought they did get right (by accident or design) was Loki's trickster nature. He's definitely the cause of much trouble for our heroes, but almost never just for evil's sake and there are times where he can help as much as hurt. It's the unpredictability that makes him interesting but also not one you turn your back on. To that degree, I can see where the argument is coming from for a "cosmic-level Joker," although it's not about chaos for its own sake as much as it's chaos for selfish reasons, or just because it's how he gets his kicks. There are lots of Norse myths where Loki stirs up trouble out of sheer boredom (an incident where he shaved Sif's hair off one night being one prominent example -- it ultimately led to even more beautiful hair for Sif and the creation of Mjolnir, though it also ended with Loki getting his mouth sewn shut with leather thongs by a really ticked off dwarf).

There's the famous splash from Walt Simonson's Thor run where Odin, Thor, and Loki have made common cause and charge into battle with their own battle cries. Odin cries, "For Asgard!" Thor cries, "For Midgard!" Loki cries, "For myself!" That pretty much sums up all of them perfectly.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings