0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astrolupine is offline Man on the wing.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Hoo boy, the micro-series really isn't off to much of a start. The artwork's a little improved but the characters themselves look vapid and flat. Maybe I've been spoiled by Andy Price on the main books. Fleecs' work is certainly better than the chap on the Twilight book, but I wouldn't mind if IDW looked towards fan art for future artists. Just be careful rummaging through Deviantart. The story here is so-so as well, thankfully not the pushy arrogant Rainbow Dash from the show (yeah, I place her at the bottom when rating the Six.) but it's a bit meandering.

Props to the Simpsons reference and the goth pony on TV. Give two days, she's probably have a fanon name.
    "...And then Rorschach goes 'BARNEY! My Pebbles!' or some such thing... but it was really funny."

SigmasonicX is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just read the second micro-series issue. I thought the dialogue was rather stilted and felt odd, especially with the constant references. The fact that so much time passed without anyone else helping or checking up on Rainbow Dash was odd, especially in the aftermath. For some reason, the gremlin designs feel familiar. I did like how Rainbow Dash beat the gremlins, but I wonder if that was a reference. It probably was.

That said, while the Twilight special felt like it could have been an episode, I didn't really feel like that was the case with this issue, due to the dialogue and the bizarrely large passage of time.

EDIT: I do want to clarify that I did find the story enjoyable enough, though.
    Last edited by SigmasonicX; 03-21-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Reality is only for those who can't handle Star Trek.

soundmonkey44 is offline Melancholic Man.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I enjoyed the RD micro well enough, I do agree it felt a bit too wordy for a Dash Micro and the amount of time that passed and the fact the only ones that helped dash were AJ & Dash was a bit odd, but overall it was still an enjoyable read. And yeah the Gremlins designs were the best part. I think what I really liked about it was that it felt like reading an 80's/90's cartoon for some reason, and I swear I mean that in a good way!

It wasn't as emotionally potent as the Twilight Mini, but it was still a fun and entertaining read overall, and I do like how it showed that Dash is smarter then the show portrays her at times.

But yeah the Dialogue was a bit of a draw back at times, and that may be due to the writer, correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the dialogue was the way it was because the writer also writes their fair share of regular novels, I feel this script for this comic was written more as a mini version of a YA novel.

But yeah overall still an enjoyable read, if not a bit wordy for a book focusing on Dash.
    Nerd Of All Trades, Master Of None.
    Archie Sonic & Megaman Comic Fanboy.
    HUB & TOONAMI Fanatic.

Printzen is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If only the comics were available here in Denmark.

Astrolupine is offline Man on the wing.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And so we start the new arc minus the wonderfully talented Andy Price, so excuse my hesitance towards the new kid, because that's a hard act to follow. But Amy Mebberson does a fine job, similar to Price's work but not as detailed. Also, it's a breath of fresh air given the middling quality on the micros.

The story's pretty sweet as we get a new look into the working of Nightmare Moon's powers, while waiting for the upcoming 'moon colony' episode. It helps since NM was a rather 2-dimensional character (Sombre wasn't even 1-dimensional!). And the mystery of the throne room is intriguing as well. Basically I'm giving it high praise for Luna alone, but it's still a fine book. Again, Cook writes Pinkie best.

One final note: Gravity Falls reference, YES!
    "...And then Rorschach goes 'BARNEY! My Pebbles!' or some such thing... but it was really funny."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I found the beginning of this issue up to Rarity's kidnapping to be very interesting, but I felt that the issue was too bogged down in exposition past that point, especially if you compare it to the first issue of the previous arc. I do like that, though I may be misremembering, the comic was vague about whether the nightmare forces turned Luna into Nightmare Moon or if they were created by Nightmare Moon. The art was great, as expected by the new artist's previous variant covers, and there were some good gags. The ones during the ending exposition largely fell flat, though, especially Rainbow coming up with unrealistic plans. Of course, most notable is the cameo from Gravity Falls' Mabel, though there are also cameos from Sailor Moon and Sailor Jupiter. I really liked how Pinkie's slumber party was handled, and the nightmares everyone had were interesting. When Rarity was kidnapped, I really liked how Rainbow Dash pulled off a Sonic Rainboom to catch up with her, and I liked how everyone was confident that Rarity would be able to handle herself. Overall, still a great addition to a great comic series.

However, I was hoping for an explanation for Luna having her season 1 appearance instead of her season 2/3 appearance, but nothing. The characters didn't even notice. I suppose that could mean this takes place before season 2, but none of the characters were scared of Luna at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @sigma if you look at one of the covers of issue #8 she has her season 2 appearance, odds are there is a reason behind it, Luna controls the world of dreams, I imagine nightmares stealing dream power would affect her, thus making her revert back to her season 1 appearance, but yeah, i'm sure things will be explained as the story arc goes on.
    HUB & TOONAMI Fanatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The July 2013 Pony Solicits are out!

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #9
    Katie Cook (w) • Andy Price (a) • Price, Tony Fleecs (c)
    Everypony's got a story to tell in this new arc by fan-favorites Katie Cook & Andy Price! The citizens of Ponyville take center stage as an ordinary morning for Big McIntosh quickly turns into an unexpected adventure! Filled with tons of colorful characters and side stories, this issue will put Big McIntosh’s typical bashfulness to the test!

My Little Pony: Mane 6 Micro-Series #6 (of 6): APPLEJACK
    Bobby Curnow (w) • Brenda Hickley (a) • Amy Mebberson (c)
    It’s almost Hearth's Warming Eve, and the Apple family is busy at work preparing an array of tasty apple treats for all of Ponyville. But when a mysterious creature starts ruining their crop, Applejack sets out to find out who's behind this tomfoolery! Who, or what, is the SASS SQUASH??

So looks like the next story in the main comic will focus on side & background characters, oh this is gonna be fun! I wonder who all we'll see, what kinda crazy is poor ol Big Mac gonna have ta fix now!? XD

And a Sass-squash, why thats just punny enough to work! Good luck with that crazy critter AJ!

And looks like their taking a page out of the sonic books and doing a quarterly Digest made of reprints...

My Little Pony: Digest-Size, Vol. 1
    Katie Cook (w)
    Andy Price (a & c)

It's My Little Pony stories you can put in your pocket! This special digest-sized collection of "Friendship is Magic" stories takes you into the land of Equestria and introduces all the main characters: Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity. Read along as their tales unfold in the two-part "The Return of Queen Chrysalis."
    TPB • FC • $6.99 • 52 pages • 6” x 9” • ISBN 978-1-61377-628-5

HUB & TOONAMI Fanatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe Cook and/or Price have stated that the next two arcs are going to only be 2 issues each, so I imagine Big Mac will get a two-issue story and then some other side character will receive focus for the next two-issue story. Looking forward to it.

The Applejack issue sounds a bit similar to the Rainbow Dash issue, in the sense that both are about monsters interfering with their jobs, but hopefully it will be better.

nakak is offline Don't break a Pinkie Promise.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Due to the positive reception, the Micro-Series has been expanded from the initial six to ten. The Cutie Mark Crusaders will be #7.

As far as the other three micros, Spike will obviously get one. So that leaves two we don't know.

Here's an incentive cover for the CMC comic:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast