Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Free Comic Book Day 2012" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Free Comic Book Day is a single day - the first Saturday in May each year - when participating comic book shops, hobby stores and other outlets across North America and around the world give away comic books to anyone who comes into their stores. Please check with your local shop for their participation and rules in the annual Free Comic Book Day event, or go to http://www.freecomicbookday.com for more.

How was your Free Comic Book Day 2012? What did you get? Collect and share!

Also, feel free to start other discussion threads for other titles or FCBD 2012 events!

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm going too pick up may haul a little later. I'll definitely be picking up the Atomic Robo issue and Image 20. I'll see whatever else catches my eye.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

Astrolupine is offline Man on the wing.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got my first 3 last night from one store, because the place is small and the owner wanted to avoid overcrowding. I then got 5 more from the other spot today, with an associate along to grab some more. So that makes... 13 altogether. But I'm giving two of those to a kid of a friend o' the family. Couldn't find the Image book.

It's an alright selection so far, but much more emphasis on new/younger readers, given the emphasis on reprints and shorties this year. I've had better selections in past years, but that's okay, this event isn't (mainly) aimed at me. It's just nice to see new customers in the local comic stores, even if they're purchasing anything but comics.

DC Nation flipbook: I missed BATB's presence, and the YJ story was a rushed cutoff. Again, mainly for newbies. GL story was alright. Superman Family looks like fun tho.

Adventure Time/Peanuts: I don't care for the latter at all, but man, do I enjoy the former.

Bongo: the first to have a sample of a non-Groening title. Makes up for last year's entry having no Homer, but I miss Futurama.

Mouse Guard: one for me, one for the aforementioned kid. A free hardcover, who'd pass that up?

Atomic Robo: I know it'll eventually be reprinted in a trade, but I grab this first every year. 'Tis a great book.

Star Wars/Serenity: haven't read it, but the stories look all too brief. Pretty much my standard nitpick of FCBD, along with abrupt cutoffs.

Donald Duck: as mentioned, for the kid. They're good stories I've read before, but Fantagraphics will have 'em in hardcover this summer anyway.

DC The New 52: quick sampler book, only skimmed through as of now. Nothing terribly special, but I am excited for the return of Batman Inc.

Avengers 24.1: I was going to get the reprint of #1, but it was only at the 3-limit store. I didn't have an interest in the Spidey Season One either. Kinda disappointing, as Marvel sometimes has a piece of new material for the event. Oh well.

Dinosaurs VS Aliens: don't pick this up if you're expecting 22 pages of full-on dino-action. It's a quick prologue for an upcoming GN with script and sketches attached. Don't get me wrong, the story and art look cool, it's just not a bang debut.

Sonic 230: odd choice for a reprint, issue only came out 6 months ago. Already own the story, but decided to get it for the text backups. Mega Man was a plain reprint of #1, so no thanks.

Transformers 80.5: looks like fun, although I'm not sure how much more you can dig out of the Marvel continuity. But the continuation of the original GI Joe has been successful, so I'll give it a try, although IDW's monthlies are pricey.

As for the way of sales/promotion, the first spot had none this year, as I said, the owner didn't want overcrowding. Pity, as the only other time he has a sale is in January. The other spot was 25% on trades and GNs, so I picked up a Usagi Yojimbo and Knuckles Archives. Probably could've gotten more, but the store was getting crowded.
    "...And then Rorschach goes 'BARNEY! My Pebbles!' or some such thing... but it was really funny."

Sunnydee is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My comic store has a limit of two per customer, so I got The New 52 and Avengers 24.1. I was leaning heavily towards Atomic Robo, but I wasn't really sure about it and decided to with Avengers 24.1 because I was kinda hoping for a way to get into that title and Bendis has been great with Ultimate Spider-Man. I've been meaning to pick up an Atomic Robo trade for awhile now, but am still doing research on which one to get.

On midtowncomics.com, I picked up Mouse Guard (which counted as two at my LCS, and seeing as I really wanted The New 52, I couldn't get it there) and Spider-man Season One. While they were both free, it still cost me 3.50ish in shipping, but I thought it was worth it to get a feel for Mouse Guard before diving in an buying a trade potentially (also i've heard good things about). Although I realize that I may have completely missed the point of FREE comic book day.

Still, this is the first time I've done one of these and it was pretty fun. I've never seen my LCS with so many people before. It's pretty small to begin with so it was almost impossible to move around.

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrolupine View Post

As for the way of sales/promotion, the first spot had none this year, as I said, the owner didn't want overcrowding. Pity, as the only other time he has a sale is in January. The other spot was 25% on trades and GNs, so I picked up a Usagi Yojimbo and Knuckles Archives. Probably could've gotten more, but the store was getting crowded.
    Sweet. Being my all-time favorite comic I have to give a shout-out whenever someone buys an Usagi book.

My shop had a 20% off everything sale and I picked up some Groo back-issues (as that's a series I've wanted to get into for forever). Got tons of free comics. Adventure Time and Donald/Scrooge were my top priority and I got those, as well as Atomic Robo, Moomin, Smurfs, Barnaby and Mr. O'Malley, and Superman Family Adventures (as you might be able to tell from my selection I'm not really a big fan of the capes, but this new series looks mighty interesting to me).

JTurner954 is offline Paradigm City, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Every year I road trip for Free Comic Day. I traveled from Broward county to Palm Beach hitting 7 stores. I know the comic book stores pay for these books so I always buy books (with cash) from every place; this year I spent around $40 on back issues and an X-Men one-shot from the new releases wall.

Last year, two of the stores went all out with loud music, people in costume, raffles, and various artists signing autographs. This year they didn't do that (one store didn't even participate in FCBD although they had a "every back issue is $1.00" sale). Best place by far was a store called "Tate's" that let you choose 5 books at one table and gave you 2 extra books when you picked them up at another table.

Free comics I picked up:

The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    The New 52! (two copies)
    Buffy/The Guild (two copies)
    Superman Family Adventures/Green Lantern
    Transformers
    Zombie Kid
    Mouse Guard
    The Stuff of Legend/Finding Gossamyr
    Sonic the Hedgehog (two copies)
    Bongo Free For All / Spongebob (two copies)
    Lady Death
    Mega Man
    Voltron
    Graphic Elvis
    Burt Ward: Boy Wonder/ Wrath of the Titans
    Witchblade
    Star Wars/Serenity
    Spider-man Season 1
    Bad Medicine

I forget who, but someone at ToonZone mentioned giving out comics during Halloween in the past. I thought about doing it this year with extra FCBD books and titles I read and didn't want to keep.

MetroSparkster is offline ...has nothing to say.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Free comics I got:
    Sonic (I missed #230 after I stopped with the Genesis Arc)
    The Stuff of Legend/Gossamyr
    Transformers Regeneration One
    Adventure Time/Peanuts

There was a small event where we took part in a comics trivia to get play money to buy $1 or $5 old comics. With that, I "bought":

Guardians of the Galaxy 2008
    Medabots
    Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's so rarely that I can schedule a trip to the comic shop that I just flat-out forgot that it was FCBD last weekend, but we were in the right shopping plaza for lunch and I needed to burn some time. Walked in and went, "Hey, why are there so many people in here?" before I remembered.

Was limited to 3 books, so I grabbed the Kaboom! Peanuts/Adventure Time sampler, the Archaia HC, and the DC book that had the Superman Family comics in it. Peanuts/Adventure Time was fun, although it's kind of weird to read Peanuts outside of the 4-panel strip/12-panel Sundays format. I was pretty stunned at the Archaia HC, although I wish I could say the same for the comics in it. Mouse Guard was awesome, as always, and I liked the Labyrinth comic. Cow Boy was fun, too, and I liked the comic about the kid and the jetpack. The rest was pretty forgettable, except for the Dapper Men comic which was completely incomprehensible to me.

Haven't gotten to the DC book yet, but I did take the opportunity to get the really nice HC of Carl Barks' Lost in the Andes. Even if it turns out I have some/most of it, I liked the production values enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    I've been meaning to pick up an Atomic Robo trade for awhile now, but am still doing research on which one to get.
    Starting with Vol. 1 is usually a good idea, but you can pick up any of them to start with because there is no hard continuity between volumes as there is in DC or Marvel books. You don't need 80 pages of Wikipedia articles and an advanced degree in Comic Book Superhero Continuity to pick up an Atomic Robo comic and read it. Radical idea, I know, but it's part of the creators' promise of what Atomic Robo is and isn't .

Atomic Robo is all standalone volumes you can read in just about any order, though some of them ("The Dogs of War," "The Shadow From Beyond Time," and "The Deadly Art of Science") are multi-issue stories while others ("The Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne" and "Oher Strangeness") are just collections of single issues. There are references and in-jokes that you'll only get if you have earlier volumes, but you won't miss them if you don't.

So I'd say your research is done and you should just get an Atomic Robo book already 'cuz they're awesome .
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stores these days gettin' stingier and stingier with their limits with every passing FCBD.

And confusing too.

I went to a store that had this baffling rule of "5 adult comics, 4 kids comics." Naturally, I thought that meant I could walk out with 9 comics. Then he goes "NONONONO that's too much. EITHER 5 adult comics OR 4 kids' comics. OR 4 adult comics and 1 kids' comics" Either? Or? You didn't stress those words when you first told me pal! DO you even know what you're talking about?

After I figured out this complicated claptrap, I walked out with 4 adult comics and 1 kids' comic.

I'm guessing they place a high importance on limiting kids' comics.

Then I went to another comic store and picked up 4 more random ones. (Mostly kids comics)

In the very first FCBD year, it was not uncommon to walk out of one store with 15 free comics.

I also went to TCAF (I live in Toronto) and wasted some time there. Ended up getting Jiro Taniguchi's Zoo in the Winter in the Fanfare/ponentmon booth. Anyone here live in Toronto? Would someone like to go to TCAF with me next year? I always end up going alone because most of the people I know are not interested in alternative/indie comics.

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Went to two different shops, one that I go to every few months (it's a little out of the way) and one that I have a subscription box at.

The first one had a "one per title" limit, so I walked away with pretty much everything. I'd almost feel bad about walking away with an entire bag full of free comics, but they had a bunch of boxes full of $1 comics so I ended up buying just as much as I got for free. Not that I minded, mind you. I always try to buy at least a few comics each year instead of just mooching off the free, since the shops do pay for them. I ended up buying pretty much the entire run of "Red Robin," so that was a plus.

They had a nice little set-up, too, and even rented a moon bounce for the kids. I was tempted to say "to heck with it" and jump in myself, but cooler heads prevailed.

My normal shop had a "two per person" limit, which wasn't bad for me, since I got pretty much everything at the previous shop. Picked up a Star Wars book for a family member since they couldn't make it. They were also having 1/2 off back issues, so I grabbed a handful of Flash issues, making me now two issues away from having the entire Wally West run.

All in all, I'd say it was a productive day.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My shop had a two comic limit, thus not much of a choice.

I wound up going with the Censored Howard Cruse and The Infernal Devices.
    Visit my other online spots:
    My blog, covering technology, comics, and animation, plus my weekly
    minorities in cartoons feature!
    Twitter
    Facebook

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got Burt Ward: Boy Wonder/Wrath of the Titans to go along with my Adam West comic from last year, as well as finding some nice reads in My Favorite Martian, Sonic The Hedgehog, Spider-Man Season One #1 and The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel.

And since I like having some animated comics to read, I picked up Adventure Time/Peanuts, Bongo Comics Free-For-All/Spongebob Squarepants and The Smurfs/Disney Fairies.

Donald Duck Family Comics mainly because I've had a growing interest in the Disney Comics, and Green Lantern/Young Justice Super Sampler/Superman Family Adventures & Sonic The Hedgehog since they relate to my monthly reading. Plus, I've decided to add Superman Family Adventures to my monthly reading.

And due to this discounts, I was able to get Captain Atom #36-39, 41, 52, 54-55 and 57 for under $13.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Daxdiv is offline Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's a small comic shop in my town that had so many left over comics from FCB that they had them all out and let me take as many as I can carry when I made my rounds yesterday. The website didn't list the shop as one of the participating stores, so I guess that's why they had so many copies. With that I ended up grabbing the following. First one listed is what grabbed my interest.

DC Nation Sampler/Superman Family Adventures
    Donald Duck Family Comics
    Voltron Force
    Burt Ward Boy Wonder/Wrath of Titans
    The Guild/Buffy
    Adventure Time/Peanuts
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Avengers
    Bongo Comics/Spongebob
    Spider-Man
    Valiant

They did have more, but I was only grabbing what interest me. Maybe if I go back later in the week, I'll get whatever is left over.

charleshudgen is offline Charles Hudgen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's good to hear that it has a free comic book day in our chosen store. It's an advantage for those who collects comics and want to add some stuff in their collection. You shouldn't miss the chance to grab this opportunity.

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just picked up the Image sampler and the Atomic Robo issue. The sampler was pretty cool. I'm very intrigued by Revival by Tim Seeley. I loved Hack/Slash and this new series looks cool and promising.
    The Atomic Robo was good as expected. I love Dr. Dinosaur. Sunnydee I can corroborate the awesomeness of Atomic Robo.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle