wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Let's Talk Comics! Purchases and Reviews: 05/02/12

Like This Thread!
    Welcome to "Let's Talk Comics!" for 05/02/12!

Every week, in this thread, you can:

1. Discuss what you're buying this week.

2. Discuss what you've read this last week.

3. Discuss current news and rumors in the comic book industry that you've heard!

If discussing something potentially spoilerific, then use your common sense and cover the text with the spoiler code (or provide spoiler space).

Forget what's coming out this week? TFAW has weekly updated list of all new releases!

Highlights of the Week:

X-O Manowar #1

If you have any feedback/comments/suggestions... just contact your neighborhood friendly comic moderators!

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

Michael24 is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Avengers vs. X-Men #3 - I agree that it makes Cap look kind of like a jerk the way he seems to just attack Wolverine before the argument really got to that point, and I'm a little disappointed that the big fight on Utopia just ended off-screen basically. But still, it was a good breather for the first half, and the Cap/Wolvie fight was pretty good. And I love that last shot of Wolvie in the snow.

The Spider #1 - Had never heard of this pulp character until reading about this series. But wow, this debut issue was fantastic! The artwork is great, stunning in some spots. The story does a good job introducing us to everybody, and it takes a wild turn in the final pages. I love the character's whole "kill them before they kill someone innocent" style, and he's got a funny sense of humor. Really excited to see what's in store for this book.

Also finally got the two volumes of Indiana Jones Adventures (and it turns out the artist will be at my LCS this Saturday for Free Comic Book Day, as he's from here) and the first TPB of Darkchylde, which appears to be out of print but was still sitting on a shelf.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Family Guy, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Mattashell is offline Before punk,there were NUGGETS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't get around to posting this last week, so now you get a double shot of my baby's love.

Daredevil #11
    Daredevil #12

See the official talkback thread for my thoughts.

I'm contributing the "Silver Surfer Rebooted" fanfic to the Marvel Rebooted website.

Check out Guttertown Massive on Facebook and Tubmblr.

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This week for me :

Avengers vs X-Men #3
    Action Comics #9
    Detective Comics #9
    Animal Man #9
    Dial H #1
    Earth-2 #1
    World's Finest #1
    G.I. Combat #1
    Teen Titans Annual #1

Really enjoyable reads this month in comics.
    Last edited by VictoryStar; 05-03-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Villano is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A slow week for me. I got Amazing Spider-Man #684 and The Strange Case of Mr. Hyde #3 & 4.

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last week, I bought:

Kevin Keller #2: Prom time again at Riverdale High, with the gang up to their usual antics (plus Kevin involved). Nice...

Jinx TPB: A TPB compiling the short-lived digital comics-only release of "Jinx" (the teenaged version of Archie's Lil' Jinx). I liked the teenage version of Jinx (they even remembered her birthday's on Halloween... hence her name).

Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man #1: The new comic based on the TV show, replacing "Marvel Adventures Spider-Man." Might give this a few more shots, though think I liked the Marvel Adventures title better...
    Visit my other online spots:
    My blog, covering technology, comics, and animation, plus my weekly
    minorities in cartoons feature!
    Twitter

Ed Liu is online now Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Neil Gaiman talks about stuff to the NY Times. I think it's interesting that the question about comics ends up second to last:

What’s the best comic book you’ve ever read? Graphic novel?

Ow. That’s hard. I think I love Eddie Campbell’s “ALEC: The Years Have Pants” best of everything, but it’s a hard call.

Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell’s “From Hell” is pretty wonderful, after all. “Watchmen” had a bigger influence on me than anything else, reading and rereading it a comic at a time as it was published, as did the “High Society” and “Church and State” sequences of Dave Sim’s “Cerebus.”

And Will Eisner’s “The Spirit” is funny and sad, educational and entertaining (read the books, ignore the movie).

I’m about to start building giant lists of comics and graphic novels here, so I will stop. (Quick! Read anything by Lynda Barry!)

There. I stopped.
    I will agree with him on Watchmen, High Society, Church & State, and The Spirit (the comics, at least, and as long as you can bleep over Ebony White, which is a pretty big bleep; I haven't seen the movie). I tried 3 or 4 times to read From Hell before deciding that I would be better off spending my time elsewhere and sold the TPB on eBay. I actually liked the movie more.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Celebrated my birthday this weekend, and I have to say, I made out like a bandit.

-Avengers: The Children's Crusade
    -Ultimate Comics Spider-Man vol. 1 (the start of the Miles issues)
    -The Complete Peanuts: 1983-1984
    -Chew vol. 5: Major League Chew
    -Deadpool Classics vol. 2

Also picked up a Lego Avengers set with Loki, Iron Man and Hawkeye, because I'm a dork.

Needless to say, I'm a very happy man.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)