• *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Earth 2 (2012 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoiler)

Like This Thread!
    Explore another Earth in the New DC Universe!

EARTH TWO #1

Written by JAMES ROBINSON
    Art by NICOLA SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT

• Who are the heroes of EARTH 2 – and what befell them?
    • Starring ALAN SCOTT, JAY GARRICK and many others!
    • You may think you know Earth 2…but this is DC Comics – The New 52, where anything can happen!
    • Don’t miss the extra-sized debut issue!

Comments?

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What a start! Some of the things that happened in this issue such as the big 3 getting killed off I kind of saw coming because it would show how radically different this world is than the main one but some surprised me like how this world also had a war with Darkseid but it went on longer and as it resulted in the big three heroes sacrificing themselves for the world, it ended radically different. I wish we could have seen more of this new version of Flash before the issue ended but I really like this version of Jay Garrick. He's more of an everyman who seems to be down on his luck until a freak coincidence gives him powers (And while we're on that, am I the only one who thought about Green Lantern's origin when I saw how Flash got his powers in this verse?)

The art was great too, nice and clean with a lot of bright colors.

While we're here I have to say I kind of envy James Robinson and Paul Levitz. They get their own little DC World that they can use to shoot off radical ideas and as a little playground for anything they want. Because of that I know this title will be really fun and I can't wait to see more. Oh yeah and James better include Starman! His version was excellent.

Villano is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    James Robinson has announced that he's leaving Earth 2 with issue #16 and is no longer working for DC Comics. The announcement came out of the blue. Couple this with previous interviews with Robinson in which he talked about long term plans for the title, introducing Starman to Earth 2, and another Shade mini-series and it looks like the dreaded DC "editorial interference" has reared its ugly head again.

You can read more about it here: James Robinson to Leave EARTH 2 - Comic Vine

And here: James Robinson Walks From DC Comics. Along The Beach. - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As the guy was only writing "Earth 2" and nothing else, I'd almost just shrug it off as him just not wanting to do it anymore. But seeing as how he just outlined the next year's worth of stories leading to a Earth 1/Earth 2 crossover event for next year, it honestly does scream "editorial interference" again.

To be honest, it's kind of why I find myself turning more and more away from the big two anymore. It's no longer "Creators Telling Good Stories." It's "Editors Giving Stories To Freelancers To Write." Unless you're "in" with the big wigs (in DC's case: Snyder, Morrison, Johns), you can't really tell a story you want to, you have to write from a plotline they give you.

I'd almost respect it as a way to keep everything cohesive and streamlined across the entire line of books, except that it's not like that. It's still a month-to-month "we only remember what we want to" kind of thing.

But, I'm going off topic. Yeah. Robinson gone. Shame.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, it's really not that different from television writing. "This is what we're going to do this season, want to write us a script?" although I do hope this isn't a case of editorial mandates pushing Robinson too far. I quite enjoyed the first volume of Earth 2.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    Well, it's really not that different from television writing. "This is what we're going to do this season, want to write us a script?"
    While mostly true, most of the great shows I can think of are ones where the creators have a heavy hand in the making of the show. They're still invested in the property. In a month-to-month comic situation, the "creator" is more in relation to the writers/artists, at least in an ideal world, with editorial just making sure stuff stays on track and doesn't contradict stuff. Not actively tell you what has to happen.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Villano is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    Well, it's really not that different from television writing. "This is what we're going to do this season, want to write us a script?" although I do hope this isn't a case of editorial mandates pushing Robinson too far. I quite enjoyed the first volume of Earth 2.
    From what I've heard about DC, the biggest problem is that Editorial approves stories far in advanced and then changes things at the last moment. The writer has to change his long term plans and rewrite finished and approved scripts. On top of that, they end up writing 2 or 3 scripts, but are still only paid for one.

It's been this way at DC for a while. Back in '08, when Chuck Dixon quit DC, he called Editorial "directionless" (and he said it was that way since '03). And then we have the story of Dwayne McDuffie, nicely summarized in this comic strip: ComicCritics.com : A webcomic about comics » Archive » The sad, strange tale of Dwayne McDuffie