Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Post Your Convention Sketches!

Like This Thread!
    I think this is a neat idea for a thread. I'm not into paying a lot for commissions, but getting a sketch or some original art at a con is a really nice way to get something with a connection to one of your favorite artists. I also enjoy meeting and talking with them. Post your sketches and original art and tell us about how you got them.

I've only been to four or five conventions, so I don't have that many, but:

Here is a quick sketch of Veronica that the great Stan Goldberg did for me at last year's Cincinatti Comic Expo. It's "Veronica With Hat" because he said the black hair takes too long to ink in. Oh, and Craig Boldman was a the next table over and I got him to sign it, too, on some weird impulse. I think that might have been a breach of con etiquette but he was nice about it.

Stan Goldberg was a really cool, funny guy, he had some interesting stories about working for Marvel and Archie and talked about what he thought of the latest "Archie Gets Married" storyline. And he signed a bunch of Millie the Model comics and an issue of Vicki that I found at the con. He was doing the sketches for $10 a pop, I think, and I think he started doing it because not many people were really interested in buying the original art pages he had for sale. I think I was the first one that day, I bought a Jughead story that I wish I could post a page from here, but it's too big to scan. I may try to take a picture of it.

These next two I got from Craig Boldman at this year's Louisville comic con. He just sort of radiates nice. I talked to him about favorite Archie characters, how Samm Schwartz is the best Jughead artist and how he influenced Boldman's run on Jughead, and how not many papers are carrying the Archie newspaper strip any more. I think the original newspaper strip was $30 and the stamp art was $25, I can't remember. Click "View Image" on this strip to see the whole thing. The board cuts it off and I don't know how to fix it.

Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    And here's the first page of the five page Jughead story:

Finally, I do like superheroes, too, so while I was at Louisville I got Bob McLeod to do me a head sketch of Cannonball. I told him I was from Eastern Kentucky and always related to Cannonball since my dad was a coal miner, too, although I didn't get into how in the hands of bad writers Cannonball can be annoyingly stereotypical. He had a mountain of sketches to do and didn't have too much time to talk, but he did chat with me a little about the creation of the character. I think this piece looks great, though.

Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

DuckTwacy is offline French phone.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool thread idea. I would post something, but, unfortunately, I don't have anything. The closest I got to having an original sketch was having a Simpsons comic book signed by the woman who did the lettering for the comic, if that counts.
    *insert another Great Piggy Bank Robbery reference here*

Ed Liu is online now Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have some I really mean to post soon. High points include Dave Sim sketching Cerebus in my well-worn High Society TPB, Bruce Timm sketching Batman in his Modern Masters book, and Matt Wagner sketching Hunter Rose Grendel in his sketchbook (which, now that I think of it, I'm not sure where that went to...).

Does original art also count? I have a cover from Mike Hawthorne from The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty, a truly awesome page from Salt Water Taffy, and (my pride and joy) the original art from the all-MODOC issue of Marvel Adventures: Avengers.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something."
    -- Jake the Dog, Adventure Time, "His Hero"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    I have some I really mean to post soon. High points include Dave Sim sketching Cerebus in my well-worn High Society TPB, Bruce Timm sketching Batman in his Modern Masters book, and Matt Wagner sketching Hunter Rose Grendel in his sketchbook (which, now that I think of it, I'm not sure where that went to...).

Does original art also count? I have a cover from Mike Hawthorne from The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty, a truly awesome page from Salt Water Taffy, and (my pride and joy) the original art from the all-MODOC issue of Marvel Adventures: Avengers.
    Yes, please post any original art. I'm also really interested in stories about how the art and sketches were obtained.

I'm very humble, too.