Quantcast
    wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Let's Talk Comics! Purchases and Reviews: 04/18/12

Like This Thread!
    Welcome to "Let's Talk Comics!" for 04/18/12!

Every week, in this thread, you can:

1. Discuss what you're buying this week.

2. Discuss what you've read this last week.

3. Discuss current news and rumors in the comic book industry that you've heard!

If discussing something potentially spoilerific, then use your common sense and cover the text with the spoiler code (or provide spoiler space).

Forget what's coming out this week? TFAW has weekly updated list of all new releases!

Highlights of the Week:

Superman: "Secrets of the Fortress of Solitude" TPB / Thunderbolts #173

If you have any feedback/comments/suggestions... just contact your neighborhood friendly comic moderators!

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

Michael24 is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Avengers vs. X-Men #2 - Basically 22 pages of fighting, but I expected nothing less from the opening salvo. Romita's art is still a little iffy in places (Wolverine's expression when he confronts Hope made me laugh when it probably shouldn't have), but in others it looks great.

Rocketeer Adventures 2 #2 - I liked this issue a lot more than #1. The first story is my favorite, showing the heart of Cliff Second, and has some great art. The second is okay. I can only take so much jealous Cliff before it gets tiresome. The third is a fun little action tale.

The Shadow #1 - Terrific! A powerful opening, and while there is then a lot of talking for the remainder of the issue, I found it all very compelling and a page turner. Garth Ennis writes the character well, and the art is fantastic. Was a little iffy on some of the Shadow's new powers, but I'm willing to see what Ennis does with them.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Villano is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I picked up:

The Secret History of D.B. Cooper #1
    Kamandi #2
    Ghostbusters #5
    Avenging Spider-Man #2
    Strange Case of Mr Hyde #2

The only one I've read is Mr Hyde. It's sort of Jekyll & Hyde meets Jack the Ripper by way of Silence of the Lambs.

Inspector Adye is investigating the Ripper murders and suspects a connection to the Hyde killings. Getting nowhere in his investigation, Adye discovers that Jekyll is still alive and imprisoned. Against everyone's advice, Adye taps Jekyll's expertise on the criminal mind and finds himself caught up in the good (and sligtly mad) doctor's manipulations.

So far, it's pretty interesting. The only thing I didn't like about it was that they turned Ripper suspect "Leather Apron" into sort of big time criminal who also liked to beat up prostitutes, when the real man was just a bootmaker (and, while he was once arrested for stabbing a man in a fight, the stories of attacks on hookers look to be rumors spread by a man who didn't like him).
    Last edited by Villano; 04-19-2012 at 01:25 PM.

rggkjg1 is online now Batman v Superman
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    did mark millar's & dave gibbons' the secret service come out yet or has it been delayed already? last week was the supposed ship date for the first issue.
    MICHAEL KEATON IS BIRDMAN
    OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER
    OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL TRAILER
    (R rated language)

NOW PLAYING. OFFICIAL TOONZONE TALKBACK

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This week in comics for me

Batman #8
    Nightwing #8
    Red Hood and the Outlaws #8
    Justice League #8
    Wonder Woman #8
    Wolverine and the X-Men #9

I like how the first four all had Night of the Owls involvement in some way this month.

Michael24 is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just got Superman Annual #11 ("For the Man Who Has Everything") in the mail. Not sure what it can go for, but this only cost me about $14 total from a seller through Amazon Marketplace. Took a quick look through it, and the condition is very good. Looking forward to reading it.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After reading Wolverine and the X-Men #9 I became interested in the AvX event and bought the following last Saturday.

Avengers vs X-Men #0
    Avengers vs X-Men #1
    Avengers vs X-Men #2

It's really good so far.

Mattashell is offline Before punk,there were NUGGETS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wolverine and the X-Men #9
    Wonder Woman #8

See the official talkback threads for my thoughts.

I'm contributing the "Silver Surfer Rebooted" fanfic to the Marvel Rebooted website.

Check out Guttertown Massive on Facebook and Tubmblr.