Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Astrolupine is offline Man on the wing.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Archie goes gender-swapping.

Like This Thread!

Hype and gimmicks, the deadly temptresses over at Archie Comics.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=38205

I look forward to the antics of Big Mooselia.

"...And then Rorschach goes 'BARNEY! My Pebbles!' or some such thing... but it was really funny."

Peter Paltridge is online now Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That signature of yours has never felt more appropriate.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think this looks really cool. Girl Archie is very cute. And even though this is just some Freaky Friday swap, it's still evidence of LGBT friendliness to allow the genders to be reversed in a kid's comic.

Hey, Anthony! Those Archie stuck in the '50s criticisms? Not justified.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

The Talon is offline Armchair Assassin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gender-swapping is becoming a lot more popular in current media if this & "Fionna and Cake" mean anything. So yeah, not really seeing the "Stuck in The 50's" stuff here.

Girl Archie looks seriously cute, I admit.

Neo Ultra Mike is online now 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You know I'm surprised.... that this idea took over 60 years to actually be made. I mean really gender flipping can lead to lots of dirty or perverse jokes (check out the latest chapters of One Piece) but it can also be done in a rather family friendly way to show "oh wait maybe it's a lot harder being a girl then it is being a boy." So really, why did it take the Archie series 60 years to do this? Are we in the age now where they will just run with any gimmick that decades ago would of thought was beneath them or something? Really this seems like the kind of story that could of been done at any time honestly. What I find the weirdest is that it's being done now. Then again, guess this is the age of "let's do everything we can to give Archie gimmicks" kind of storytelling. From him supposedly finally picking between Betty and Veronica to then hooking up with Josie and then introducing a homosexual teen in Riverdale (that happened right? I heard that was going to be a story but didn't see any proof of it coming to pass) looks like they're trying everything they can to get you to read Archie. Actually part of me wants to just pick it up for seeing Sabrina and Salem involved. Heh that makes me wonder if the Sabrina comics will get a makeover if her more darker movie hits theaters but I guess that's getting off subject isn't it?
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

Lanmanna is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Ultra Mike View Post
    You know I'm surprised.... that this idea took over 60 years to actually be made. I mean really gender flipping can lead to lots of dirty or perverse jokes (check out the latest chapters of One Piece) but it can also be done in a rather family friendly way to show "oh wait maybe it's a lot harder being a girl then it is being a boy." So really, why did it take the Archie series 60 years to do this? Are we in the age now where they will just run with any gimmick that decades ago would of thought was beneath them or something? Really this seems like the kind of story that could of been done at any time honestly. What I find the weirdest is that it's being done now. Then again, guess this is the age of "let's do everything we can to give Archie gimmicks" kind of storytelling. From him supposedly finally picking between Betty and Veronica to then hooking up with Josie and then introducing a homosexual teen in Riverdale (that happened right? I heard that was going to be a story but didn't see any proof of it coming to pass) looks like they're trying everything they can to get you to read Archie. Actually part of me wants to just pick it up for seeing Sabrina and Salem involved. Heh that makes me wonder if the Sabrina comics will get a makeover if her more darker movie hits theaters but I guess that's getting off subject isn't it?
    I'm behind on One Piece. Can you direct me to the chapter that happens in? It happens. His name is Kevin, I think.

Neo Ultra Mike is online now 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm behind on One Piece. Can you direct me to the chapter that happens in?
    Two of the most recent chapters. 661 and 663. The ones you either would get by reading them on the offical Shonen Jump site or other methods that can't be talked about here.

Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Ultra Mike View Post
    Hmm...

1. The "picking between Betty and Veronica" takes place in the future-set "Life With Archie" series, where the entire gang's grown adults. The series also uses two alternate-future timelines (half the book focuses on Archie with Betty, the other half on Archie and Veronica).

2. Yes, they introduced a gay character a few years ago (Kevin Keller), who's proven successful enough that he got his own miniseries last year, and now his own ongoing bimonthly comic.

3. Archie's "hooking up" with Valerie, not Josie.

I'm enjoying all of these storyline elements, as weird as "Life With Archie" can get at times. ;-)

Glad to see a gay teen introduced to the series as well... yes, gay teens exist, and Kevin's storylines are done respectably. That and one way to update the stories' elements for the here and now, in a better way than how the likes of the "New 52" seems to be going about...

>>Hey, Anthony! Those Archie stuck in the '50s criticisms? Not justified. <<

Not my criticism at all (I like Archie)---just citing what others who seem to dislike (or outright hate) Archie claim it's stuck in the EIsnehower years...
    Visit my other online spots:
    My blog, covering technology, comics, and animation, plus my weekly
    minorities in cartoons feature!
    Twitter
    Facebook

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone who thinks that THIS is the Archie age of gimmicks has never fully considered Archie's RC Racers:

Archie 1:

Archie's superhero career:

Archie's version the X-Files, well, it was a little more Baywatch Nights:

Archie 3000:

And, the icing on the cake, Archie Meets the Punisher:

Archie writers have been telling stories about the same dozen or so characters in the same town for 71 years now, and they have done a lot of things to mix it up. I think what they're doing now is more interesting, and less gimmicky, than some of the stuff in the past because it makes the characters a bit more relevant and introduces new characters and situations that can be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonynotes View Post

>>Hey, Anthony! Those Archie stuck in the '50s criticisms? Not justified. <<

Not my criticism at all (I like Archie)---just citing what others who seem to dislike (or outright hate) Archie claim it's stuck in the EIsnehower years...
    Not mine, either, but here's something else to show people who think that.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hey, RC Racers was great!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, it was pretty cool. But hugely gimmicky.

Oh, and they did do a slight gender swap in Archie 516 already, but this was just Archie's mom imagining what it would be like if he were a girl.

http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2009/...-veronica.html

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were more examples.

I'm very humble, too.

Dsneybuf is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Somewhere in our vast array of Archie comics is a story where Betty and Veronica meet their spear counterparts, Benny and Jon. Does that sound like another example?
    It also showed a female Archie (Angela Archer IIRC), but only for one panel, and only in Betty's and Veronica's thought balloon (after Benny and Jon say they have so much in common, they argued over the same redheaded girl in middle school).

Lanmanna is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was the worst gimmick of Archie. They turned Jughead into a "punk."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Again...not as bad as it looks on the surface. Except for the hair. And we got Sassy out of the deal, so...a win to me.
    www.platypuscomix.net

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's not like she became a permanent member of the cast, though, probably because it's nearly impossible to be more dated than Sassy Thrasher, gnarly skateboarding 80s punkette.

Not to say she was a bad character, I like her spunkiness, but the faddish ones aren't built to last. Same way with Crystal the New Age Girl and Aerobic Liz. This is the only picture I can find of them.

And then there's Eyeda, but she's not so much gimmicky as terrifyingly insane.

Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 04-19-2012 at 09:37 PM.

I'm very humble, too.