Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's Talk Comics! Purchases and Reviews: 04/11/12

Like This Thread!
    Welcome to "Let's Talk Comics!" for 04/11/12!

Every week, in this thread, you can:

1. Discuss what you're buying this week.

2. Discuss what you've read this last week.

3. Discuss current news and rumors in the comic book industry that you've heard!

If discussing something potentially spoilerific, then use your common sense and cover the text with the spoiler code (or provide spoiler space).

Forget what's coming out this week? TFAW has weekly updated list of all new releases!

Highlights of the Week:

Avenging Spider-Man #6/ Daredevil: Season One HC

If you have any feedback/comments/suggestions... just contact your neighborhood friendly comic moderators!
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Villano is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got:

Winter Soldier #4
    Glory #24
    Dark Shadows #4
    Cobra #5

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bought the second issue of Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi on a quick stop at the grocery store after work. Haven't got to read it yet.
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This week I got :

Superman #7 - Really enjoyed it.
    Spider-Man #682 - Epic issue with a lot of good buildup for the rest of the arc.

Mattashell is offline Before punk,there were NUGGETS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a week late, but whatever.

Hulk #50
    Saga #2
    Suicide Squad #8

Hulk #50: Haunted Hulk Part 1/The Objective I didn't know anything about all this Red Hulk business. I'd heard that there was a character with that name, and I knew that a bunch of my online friends didn't care for the character, but that was pretty much it, and I can say with certainty that this "jumping on point" utterly failed to win me over. One of Red Hulk's powers is the ability to see and hear the spirits of the dead, and I really dug a scene in this book where he was forced to face ghosts of soldiers he (his alter ego General Ross - long time arch enemy of the original Hulk) had sent to die in battle. Unfortunately that was the only powerful scene in the book. The Red Hulk, well, he's just a jerk. I suppose he has better manners than the savage hulk, but the Green Machine is sympathetic because he's a wild animal. Ross seems like a human, but the kind with no regard for society or its rules, a self serving brute that can not see beyond himself. The worst part of this book, though was the supplemental material, which was a mix of self congratulatory fluff, and a synopsis of Red Hulk's back story that made my head want to explode. If Drew Carry told Ryan Styles, Wayne Brady and Colin Mockery to come up with a back story for a made up super hero in 90 seconds and gave them "Red Hulk" as the name, this is what they'd come up with. I think I will take my Hulks (and She-Hulks) in green and gray only from now on. *1/2

Saga #2: Chapter Two
    Fairly original seeming space opera about lovers on the run from assassins. I'm not sure why they're on the run, but I think they're from feuding clans or something. I'm sure it's all probably explained in the first issue. Anyway, this books strength, and I can't emphasize this enough, is its art. This is gorgeous stuff, without a doubt inspired by the late great Mœbius. The writing is by no means bad either. ***1/2

Suicide Squad #8: Aftermath
    After the kinetic hunt for Harley Quinn, we get a break with this quiet issue, and intermission between...er...missions, but it's still quite intense. Amanda Waller is a brilliant, hard-ass of a heel for the group, and she really makes you love to hate her here. The next mission is set up by gradually revealing information to the reader, I can't reveal anything without major spoilers, but this issue ends with a huge hanging question for the reader to ponder, and I can't wait to find out the answer. ****1/2

I'm contributing the "Silver Surfer Rebooted" fanfic to the Marvel Rebooted website.

Check out Guttertown Massive on Facebook and Tubmblr.