Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Anybody else pick it up? I thought it was pretty good.

The variant cover was definitely better looking than Gary Frank's was (he's usually great but I guess he can only do Chris Reeve Superman and not a Tom Welling face)

The inner artwork had just about everyone looking right to me. Lois's hair looked too red in my copy though. Minor coloring quibble aside, I thought the detail on even the background characters looked good.

And they explained his costume change from the CGI bit in the finale to this one.

I actually like this nu-Superman costume better than New 52 or the new movie's design and it looks more Smallville-y.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to think they should have just declared Smallville an Earth # then the continuity freaks would finally stop complaining.

Speaking of the comic, I picked up a print copy of it, I liked it.
    They explained the costume change (I like this nu-look better than the other new looks for Superman in Nu52 and the movie)
    I thought the characterization was on and everybody looked right. The artowrk was great, even background extras have details and are a mix of people.

I have a Superman book I enjoy now

BTW from what I saw, the digital variant was a way better cover. I guess Gary Frank can't do a Superman if he doesn't look like Chris Reeve.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 05-09-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Simpler Simon is offline Always in Style
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I have a Superman book I enjoy now
    Pretty much this. The first issue easily tops most of the Superman-family books in the New 52 line. I'm glad Bryan Q. Miller got this assignment but DC seriously needs to throw him on a second book, because the man is spot on when it comes to giving these characters relatable voices. Essentially what we've got here is all the best elements of Smallville, and none of the angsty melodrama garbage or budgetary constraints.

The Pere Perez art does take a bit of getting used to - he's channeling the likenesses of the actors without actually aiming for a full-on photo-realistic look like most tie-in comics go for. That's probably the better choice in the long run - I've found photo-realism tends to stifle fluidity and facial expressions in other tie-in books as the artist puts too much focus into getting the look right.

And the actual story is intriguing so far, too - the best reveal being what Lex's memory loss in the series finale means for his relationships to the other characters. Eager to see how things unfold.
    Note to self: No More Heroes avatar in use since April 10/2009. Previous avatar lasted 2 years, 9 months and 4 days!!! Holy Stale Avatar Batman!!

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpler Simon View Post
    I'm glad Bryan Q. Miller got this assignment but DC seriously needs to throw him on a second book, because the man is spot on when it comes to giving these characters relatable voices. Essentially what we've got here is all the best elements of Smallville, and none of the angsty melodrama garbage or budgetary constraints.
    I would have been satisfied either way as the show is one of my many guilty pleasures, but yeah, I had a feeling upon reading it that it was above the show.

Heck, if the first issue is an indicator, I find it to be one of the many examples of writing to the older audience without trying to insert needless content.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Astrolupine is offline Man on the wing.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Behold, Smallville's interpretation of the caped crusader.

If I was a person of lesser silence, I'd be rolling on the floor with laughter right now.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...le-comic-book/
    "...And then Rorschach goes 'BARNEY! My Pebbles!' or some such thing... but it was really funny."

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Batman's Smallville sidekick? Stephanie Brown.

The first two issues were pretty good, but I've been back-and-forth with the idea of getting it monthly. If this is more than a one-off appearance, then it's officially on the pull list. Miller back on Steph is amazing news.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrolupine View Post
    If I was a person of lesser silence, I'd be rolling on the floor with laughter right now.
    Honestly, given the way the show portrayed many of it's hero guest stars, I'd say this about lines up with Smallville perfectly.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    COOL that BQM has found a way to use Stephanie Brown.
    That is one UGLY looking Bat-Uniform. ***YUCK***

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly, I'm suprised that the discussion online overall on this is pretty low. I mean it's not the onscreen appearance many fans hoped for, but still.

Anyway, I'm wondering if Chloe's reference to Batman from Fortune (Where she mentioned meeting several heroes including a Billionaire with high-tech toys) will be mentioned.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Steph's been booted for Barbara Gordon in the book.

The reason? She's not iconic enough.

I've always found this argument worthless. The reason Barbara is iconic is because whenever they do Batgirl outside for the comics, it's always Barbara. Of course she's going to be iconic then. The next time they use Batgirl in a cartoon, throw in Steph or Cassandra. She'll become "iconic" in the process to all the non-comic reading younger fans who only know of the show. But if you never give it the chance, and just go straight to Barbara, you never even give them a shot, and thus the argument is void.

I might not have been happy with them ditching characters like Steph and Wally post-relaunch, but giving a reason and leaving them on the shelf? I respect that answer. I might now like it, but I understand it and accept it.

Miller wanted Steph on the book. He's flat out said it. Didio axed it because he didn't want it (in an alternate universe, comic-only story no less), changing art and dialogue to match what he wanted. That I get upset about, and that I don't accept.

Dammit......
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Kouji Tamino is offline You Understand Nothing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not happy with this at all.

Time to throw my money at other companies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast