• 1/2

0 0%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Astrolupine is offline Man on the wing.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Whelp, looks like my question of last issue was answered. ^^

Such a glorious, kick-ass issue. Surprised that March exited so quickly, but who knows, he might show up in flashbacks. Backup was great too, I keep forgetting Alfred's father first served the Waynes.

Curious, though... the fact that his name was 'Jarvis'. Coincidence?
    "...And then Rorschach goes 'BARNEY! My Pebbles!' or some such thing... but it was really funny."

Simpler Simon is offline Always in Style
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrolupine View Post
    Such a glorious, kick-ass issue. Surprised that March exited so quickly, but who knows, he might show up in flashbacks. Backup was great too, I keep forgetting Alfred's father first served the Waynes.

Curious, though... the fact that his name was 'Jarvis'. Coincidence?
    In an interview Snyder said he noticed the 'Jarvis' coincidence too but went with it.

Yeah I also don't think March is out of the story quite yet...though if he winds up being a villain, it'll be a bit Hush-like and obvious.

Not too much to say except the story is rolling along nicely and Capullo probably wins some kind of award for being an artist that can turn in top-notch work month after month and accommodate a shift in shipping schedules. Snyder's trope of using anecdotal stories from the past to tie into the present is becoming a bit obvious now, but it's still effective in how it's used.

So what's the official history of the Pennyworths and the Waynes now? I know in pre-crisis history Alfred was called back by his dying father to serve the Waynes, but that was well after Bruce became Batman. I thought in current history Alfred had always been the family butler since before Bruce was born?
    Note to self: No More Heroes avatar in use since April 10/2009. Previous avatar lasted 2 years, 9 months and 4 days!!! Holy Stale Avatar Batman!!

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really great issue as always! I enjoyed the fight between Batman and the owls and how he finally got payback after two issues of things going from bad to worse to finally a triumphant victory by Batman. Oh and I kind of had a feeling that Lincoln guy was going to die when I first saw him but I think they should have tried to push more appearances of him before this issue. I had literally forgot who he was until I saw his face again in this issue. Anyways that was a great issue and I can't wait to see Batman take on the Court itself in the next issue!

Manga4life is offline DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Issue #9 was okay, kind of boring and the art was a little lackluster for me and definitely wasn't Capullo's best Batman art, it just kind of felt rushed to me. The story was okay, but personally......I'm kind of getting tired of the Owl's, but it's been a pretty enjoyable way to tell the story of Batman in the new DC universe and I'm enjoying it as a whole. I hope we can move the story along after the Owls storyline, I'd like to see some classic rouges in the core Batman title, I feel like most of them have been used in Detective Comics, which has been great, but I'd like to see Capullo draw some classic characters before his time on the book is up.

Snyder's been doing a good job with writing the self titled Batman book, I hope he sticks around for a while and really leaves his mark on the series. It seems like nobody sticks around for very long and creative teams change every few months, so seeing Snyder and Capullo stick around on Batman would make me happy.

Yeah, I have a....

Blog! Latest blog entry 1/2/2013 - "Valiant Entertainment: The BEST publisher in comics today!"

I have a Twitter, follow me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Snyder's been doing a good job with writing the self titled Batman book, I hope he sticks around for a while and really leaves his mark on the series. It seems like nobody sticks around for very long and creative teams change every few months, so seeing Snyder and Capullo stick around on Batman would make me happy.
    Scott Snyder says he has plans to stay until at least the 30's in issue numbers so I don't think we have to worry about him leaving soon. And Capullo did draw some classic characters already, in the first issue remember .

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A new "Night of the Owls" tie-in featuring Mr. Freeze!

BATMAN ANNUAL #1

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art and cover by JAY FABOK[/b]

• MR. FREEZE is introduced to The New 52!
    • What is Mr. Freeze’s relationship to the COURT OF OWLS? Is he an ally – or do they want him dead?
    • “NIGHT OF THE OWLS” continues here!

Comments?

Astrolupine is offline Man on the wing.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh dear... some fans really aren't going to be happy about this.

I understand that nothing much has been done with the Mr. Freeze character outside of his motivation to cure his wife. Asides from his DCAU and Gotham Central appearances, fans haven't been as interested with his recent stories. But surely there must be another way then Snyder putting a twist on a classic tragedy. It's something new, but it doesn't give is an idea as to what happens next with Victor. Not to mention the flashbacks. So... he's always been a monster, then? Wha--? It's just odd, given that we grew attached to TAS' interpretation because the show focused on his (past) humanity. Sigh... what a misstep for a new take.

Not to mention I'm disappointed with Snyder's recent use of Penguin. His 'Pain and Prejudice' mini was quite good, so you'd think he'd have use for the old bird in a storyline involving aviary-themed villains. Nope, Oswald's appearance in Night Of Owls (the Catwoman issue) was just a brief 'Waugh! Who burst in through the window?' and here, while a slightly better cameo, is just on hand to provide Freeze with guns. Oh well, maybe he'll be put to good use in the future.

In conclusion, the weakest issue of Snyder's New52 run so far. Jason Fabok's art, however, makes up for it well enough.
    "...And then Rorschach goes 'BARNEY! My Pebbles!' or some such thing... but it was really funny."

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree - some fans are going to really hate this. I'm still a bit torn on this myself but overall I did enjoy the story. It was dark, twisted and definitely added a new layer to Mr. Freeze. The big reveal about Nora definitely took me by surprise, as did the ending with Fries and his mother. The art was pretty nice too. Outside of a few covers and some work on The Dark Knight comic his work is new to me. You don't have to be reading Night of the Owls to read this, which I liked.

I'm still trying to wrap my head on the couple big twists in this story with Freeze's new backstory. I liked the story, but the twists? I don't know...it will definitely bring up a lot to debate.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While it had very little to do with the event it was tying into Batman Annual 1 ended Night of the Owls in fashion! I know people will be mad that they changed Mr. Freeze's connection to Nora but I actually really enjoyed Mr. Freeze's new personality and reasons for wanting to be a villain. He was very sinister in this issue and I actually was afraid that he was going to seriously hurt Nightwing and Robin before the issue was over.

I know people are mad because Mr. Freeze can be considered unsympathetic now with this new origin but I actually think the opposite while you don't feel as bad for him you still can understand how it is to love someone you never met and how insane it can drive you. It's more pathetic than sympathetic know but it's still great.

My only complaint is actually a benefit too as it had very little to due with the Night of Owls. I know that's going to help this story age better but the solicits made it sound like it was going to answer a lot of questions about the Court while Batman, Robin, and Nightwing go to confront them and all the while Mr. Freeze plans something very sinister in the background while we get hints at his new origin, at least enough to know Nora was born years before he was and they never met but hey I'm happy with what we got even if it could have been better.

So in conclusion, that was a really enjoyable issue and I can't wait for Batman 10 next month!

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't miss this issue! Seriously - twists and payoff galore!

BATMAN #10

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION

BATMAN takes the fight to THE COURT OF OWLS!
    • Discover the evil mastermind behind THE COURT.
    • Plus: The “Fall of the House of Wayne” backup by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV and RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE.

Comments?