Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

If it were just about playing up the magical aspect of the character that'd be one thing, but that image suggests DC is poised to just wreck the character with "development" that nobody was asking for and that nobody is gong to fall in love with.

Being dark for its own sake isn't any good guys. Figure it out.

I'll just be over there enjoying Captain Marvel on Young Justice.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Oh yeah, when they made her a dominatrix. Right after Giffen and Dematteis parodied how silly that was.

See, the thing about DC is, it's a particularly hormone-crazed teenager. On a corporate level it's got about the mentality and maturity of a 14-year-old, antisocial boy. It can't appreciate any of the timeless characters it has and it can't appreciate letting its characters be "good" because it doesn't have the maturity to understand that, so it has to make its characters be "kewl" and violent and play really rough with its dumb 'ol toys. Also, it wants to see boobs, so all its female characters dress like sluts.
    You make some pretty good points about not appreciating the timeless qualities and more straightforward heroics, but you completely lost me with that last line. Sure some characters like Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Starfire "dress like sluts" but tons of female characters like Batgirl, Batwoman, all of the Birds of Prey, Mera, Power Girl and Huntress don't. In fact the latter two got way more clothes on them now than they did preboot.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just LOVE Superman's redesign it looks bad***. Superboy, on the other hand, redesign sucks. And what the heck did they do to Red Robin? His design is so.....Blehh. Kid Flash and Cassie's redesign are decent, but not too great. And what's up with the insect creature on The Teen Titans???

Since I'm low on money, I REALLY want to get Justice Leauge. Geoff Johns and Jim Lee?? That's seriously a dream come true. And Darkseid in the first arc, MUST. HAVE. BOOK.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

The Talon is offline Armchair Assassin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Oh yeah, when they made her a dominatrix. Right after Giffen and Dematteis parodied how silly that was.

See, the thing about DC is, it's a particularly hormone-crazed teenager. On a corporate level it's got about the mentality and maturity of a 14-year-old, antisocial boy. It can't appreciate any of the timeless characters it has and it can't appreciate letting its characters be "good" because it doesn't have the maturity to understand that, so it has to make its characters be "kewl" and violent and play really rough with its dumb 'ol toys. Also, it wants to see boobs, so all its female characters dress like sluts.
    Not a fan of the "slut" comment, but I agree with you on all parts. It really feels like DC doesn't want to be DC Comics 2012. They want to be Image Comics 1996.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like DC has a couple big plans for the New 52. They have zero issues coming in September and what sounds like the first big crossover next summer called "The Trinity War." These are all rumors right now but Bleeding Cool is usually very accurate when it comes to this.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/...for-september/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/...g-trinity-war/

Sounds like a couple interesting projects.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Scans have been leaked from DC's Free Comic Book Day book, and it has a teaser for Trinity War, so that's pretty much confirmed.

From the looks, it seems to be written by Geoff Johns. If so, not sure I'm on board. I like Johns more than I don't, but both Blackest Night and Flashpoint were disappointments to me. I'm not sure I have faith in him when it comes to company-wide crossover events. He works much better in a smaller sandbox like the Sinestro war and War of the Green Lanterns.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin Kazama View Post
    Scans have been leaked from DC's Free Comic Book Day book, and it has a teaser for Trinity War, so that's pretty much confirmed.

From the looks, it seems to be written by Geoff Johns. If so, not sure I'm on board. I like Johns more than I don't, but both Blackest Night and Flashpoint were disappointments to me. I'm not sure I have faith in him when it comes to company-wide crossover events. He works much better in a smaller sandbox like the Sinestro war and War of the Green Lanterns.
    If Johns is writing it, that means it'll be his what, 4th company-wide crossover event? I like his writing and all, but DC needs to give other writers a chance at those.

rggkjg1 is offline Cavill = Welling?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    If Johns is writing it, that means it'll be his what, 4th company-wide crossover event? I like his writing and all, but DC needs to give other writers a chance at those.
    they let grant morrison do final crisis, and that turned out so well. (sarcasim)

i like johns' track record more than i do anyone else's (at least grant morrison's). if they, lets say, gave this event to scott snyder, then you can definately count me out in that hypothetical situation. although, johns' new 52 justice leaque arc was probabally the weakest thing i've read by him. so i'm hoping he get's something back together in time for whatever crossover stories he's doing.

not even a year in the new 52 and we're already talking about big events or crossovers. i thought we would go a little longer than that in the new 52. i guess there isnt much "new" in the new 52 dc after all.
    Drop everything you are doing and google "michael keaton birdman". They are making a BIRDMAN movie starring MICHAEL KEATON. (supposedly not related to the Hanna-Barbera Birdman)

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Simpler Simon is offline Always in Style
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    I agree, since any author will sell given it's an event story. At the same time, DC doesn't have a lot of talent to choose from. Paul Cornell or Peter Tomasi I would like to see get a chance. Snyder I could eventually see headlining something like this, though he and Lemire are sticking closer to personal, horror-esque stories right now. Gail Simone loses a bit of edge when her characters aren't eccentric and twisted like Secret Six. Krul, Bedard, and Beechen are simply too hit or miss on their regular titles.

Depending on the story behind Trinity War and the number of books it might potentially encompass, I'm either onboard or I drop more DC titles when it arrives. Agree with rggkjg1, was hoping for another year of smaller inter-book crossovers and world building.
    Note to self: No More Heroes avatar in use since April 10/2009. Previous avatar lasted 2 years, 9 months and 4 days!!! Holy Stale Avatar Batman!!

Ryoutarou is offline [Insert title]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This might be a spoilery question, but I'm way behind on my reading and figured the best way for me to catch up is to see if any first arcs are finished so I thought this would be the best place to ask. Can anyone tell me which issues make up the first arcs for Batwing, JLI, Green Lantern, Action Comics, and Supergirl? (if they're over that is, I'd look it up myself but I'm kind of weary of running into spoilers )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
    Can anyone tell me which issues make up the first arcs for Batwing, JLI, Green Lantern, Action Comics, and Supergirl? (if they're over that is, I'd look it up myself but I'm kind of weary of running into spoilers )
    The collected editions of all the New 52 books start coming out in May, so the collections of those will begin to trickle out over the next couple of months. Just from browsing the comic solicitations here at Toon Zone, it shows the following for what you've asked about:

-Batwing vol. 1 has issues #1-6, and comes out in July
    -JLI vol. 1 has issues #1-6, and comes out in May
    -Green Lantern vol. 1 has issues #1-6, and comes out in May
    -Action Comics vol. 1 has issues #1-8, and comes out in August
    -Supergirl vol. 1 comes out in October, but the solicitations for it hasn't been released yet, so the issue count is unknown. The general consensus on most of the trades, though, is six issues, so I'd probably go with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
    This might be a spoilery question, but I'm way behind on my reading and figured the best way for me to catch up is to see if any first arcs are finished so I thought this would be the best place to ask. Can anyone tell me which issues make up the first arcs for Batwing, JLI, Green Lantern, Action Comics, and Supergirl? (if they're over that is, I'd look it up myself but I'm kind of weary of running into spoilers )
    For Batwing it's #1-8, Green Lantern is #1-5, Action is #1-8, but there's an interlude in the middle, and Supergirl is #1-4. Not sure about JLI since I'm not reading that book.

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    Looks like DC has a couple big plans for the New 52. They have zero issues coming in September and what sounds like the first big crossover next summer called "The Trinity War." These are all rumors right now but Bleeding Cool is usually very accurate when it comes to this.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/...for-september/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/...g-trinity-war/

Sounds like a couple interesting projects.
    I don't know about having a zero issue for all the comics but that is an interesting idea to do for that month.

Also Trinity War sounds interesting, I heard it's going to be about Pandora so maybe we'll get some more reboot questions answered then.

Simpler Simon is offline Always in Style
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin Kazama View Post
    -Batwing vol. 1 has issues #1-6, and comes out in July
    -JLI vol. 1 has issues #1-6, and comes out in May
    -Green Lantern vol. 1 has issues #1-6, and comes out in May
    -Action Comics vol. 1 has issues #1-8, and comes out in August
    -Supergirl vol. 1 comes out in October, but the solicitations for it hasn't been released yet, so the issue count is unknown. The general consensus on most of the trades, though, is six issues, so I'd probably go with that.
    Supergirl should be issues #1-7. DC released all the trade breakdowns awhile back, and Supergirl was listed as 7 issues. Many of the trades for The New 52 seem to go into the 7 issue range, including Supergirl, Superboy, Teen Titans, GL: New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Demon Knights, Frankenstein, Swamp Thing, Detective Comics, and Batman. And a few go beyond that:

Action Comics, as mentioned, is 1-8
    Batman & Robin is 1-8
    The Flash is 1-8
    DC Universe Presents is 1-8, collecting the 5-issue Deadman arc and 3-issue Challengers of the Unknown
    Any of the 6 cancelled titles contain all 8 issues
    Batman: The Dark Knight is 1-9, presumably so when new writer Greg Hurwitz takes over at #10 they can start a new volume with him.
    Note to self: No More Heroes avatar in use since April 10/2009. Previous avatar lasted 2 years, 9 months and 4 days!!! Holy Stale Avatar Batman!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpler Simon View Post
    Supergirl should be issues #1-7. DC released all the trade breakdowns awhile back, and Supergirl was listed as 7 issues. Many of the trades for The New 52 seem to go into the 7 issue range, including Supergirl, Superboy, Teen Titans, GL: New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Demon Knights, Frankenstein, Swamp Thing, Detective Comics, and Batman.
    I tried going through DC's site to find the issue count info for Supergirl, but couldn't find it. Of course it doesn't help that since DC re-designed their site, finding anything on it is next to impossible. 7 issues sounds about right, though.

I have noticed that DC's trades since they "drew the line" have had more issues in them. I guess since they trimmed the page count down, they decided to throw an extra issue or two in with them to keep the same thickness.

James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DC Comics has announced four new The New 52 titles set to launch in October 2012 following a special month-long "Issue #0" jumping-on point initiative. Details can be found here. Below is an abridged quotation from the press release.

Timed to the one year anniversary of the launch of the historic DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 initiative, DC Comics will introduce 0 month.

#0s will be stand-alone stories. “Some issues will tell the origins of a character or a team, or in some case where an origin has already been told, they will fill in the blanks in terms of questions readers may have about the New 52 DC Universe,” said Bob Harras, DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief. “Each of these issues promises to reveal something surprising.”

And debuting at #0 are four new comic book series:

TALON - Writer Scott Snyder with co-writer James Tynion IV. Artist: Guillem March.

SWORD OF SORCERY – Writer: Christy Marx. Artist: Aaron Lopresti.

THE PHANTOM STRANGER - Writer: Dan DiDio. Artist: Brent Anderson.

TEAM SEVEN - Writer: Justin Jordan. Artist: Jesus Merino.

The four new series will follow with issue #1s next month and other series will resume their numbering.
    Four titles from the current selection of 52 titles will be removed to make room for the new series.

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They're taking March off of Catwoman? Grrr....

I may end up trying Talon just for him, even though I was a little "Meh" on Night of the Owls.

Other than that, I'll probably give the first issues of Team 7 and Phantom Stranger a go, in hopes that they wow me a little. I like the ideas and concepts there, but they're just not grabbing me right now. Grifter being on Team 7 leads me to believe his solo ongoing is being cancelled, though. The sales haven't been fantastic so far, so I can't see them giving him two books.

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let me first consider the new books:

Talon. Fuhgeddaboutit. Spins out of the Batman "Night of the Owls" arc, which I'm not even bothering with. Not even considering.

Sword of Sorcery: Yow! 40 years after the original book comes out, DC revives the title. This might be worth the trip.

Phantom Stranger: Seems to be tied into this "Trinity War" thing, as they've supposedly linked the Stranger with Pandora, if you believe the preview in The New 52 FCBD book. Not sure about this one.

Team 7: Another former Image-Wildstorm book. Didn't read the original series, not going to bother with this one, either.

So who would get the axe?

Anything linked iwth the Justice League is safe.
    Anything in the Batman line is safe.
    Anything in the Superman line is safe.
    Anything in the Green Lantern line is safe.

You have two new books going into the Edge line, which means two may be coming out. Now that I, Vampire is linked to Justice League Dark, he's safe----we think. That means Demon Knights is going and gone after a year. Etrigan can't buy a break any more than he can hang on to a woman.

I've this feeling that anything linked with Rob Liefeld is on the endangered list, which means Hawkman & Deathstroke are facing elimination. Sad shame for both. Like, Hawk & Dove didn't survive the first cuts, so......!

All-Star Western, which I read, is linked to the Batline only because it's set in 19th century Gotham most of the time, so I think that's safe, though something tells me it might not be.

Got this feeling that either Voodoo or Grifter might be cut to make room for Team 7. Talon will be part of the Batline (ugh), but that doesn't mean a Batbook's getting cut.

Final predictions:

Demon Knights, Savage Hawkman, Grifter or Voodoo, and either All-Star Western or Deathstroke.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Never thought they'd bring back Amethyst outside of the upcoming DC Nation animated shorts. I'll likely give the first issue a shot just to try something very different.

Is it me or is the concept of zero month the ideal thing to do when you're just starting out?! Oh well.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sword of Sorcery is being written by Christy Marx; the same one who created Jem and wrote a bunch of comics in the 80s. It should be interesting just from that standpoint.

Besides that Team Seven sounds like it could be a bit interesting.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast