Xurk is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: SEASON 9 #4

WRITER: Andrew Chambliss
    COVERS BY: Steve Morris & Georges Jeanty
    PENCILS: Georges Jeanty

THE STORY: As Xander, Dawn, and Willow retreat into their own complicated lives, Buffy finds herself drawn more closely to her new friend Severin, a mysterious crime fighter in his own right, and a snappy dresser to boot. Together they take on a new kind of vampire threat while Buffy's not-in-the-know roomies start snooping through her unslept-in bedroom. Now what could they possibly find?

* Vampires, demons, corpses, and cops!

Thoughts? What are your comments?

Anton Chigurh
    : What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss? - No Country For Old Men

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The above issue actually came out last week, but I forgot to post the update. I also haven't managed to get a hold of it yet, but I have recently read the previous month's installments of both BtVS and A&F.

I'm liking the direction the story in BtVS has been heading so far. The repercussions for everyone due to the seed being destroyed are interesting and fun to learn more of each issue. I like how both titles are sharing continuity now, as opposed to how it was when Angel was at IDW and Buffy was at DH.
    In BtVS:S9 we learn that any vampires sired after the events of S8 become feral due to not being possessed but more or less mindless. In A&F we learn that the seed's destruction also warps the effect of regenerative demon blood due to the connection to another dimension being lost. All in all, it's crafting a fun and cohesive story, though I have to admit I'm still not used to the shared continuity yet, after the past few years of "After the Fall" / "Aftermath".

You can say I'm excited to see where the cliffhanger with Buffy and Severin from issue #3 goes

Anton Chigurh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh and I must add, the fact that (in the Buffyverse) a vampire isn't actually a person, but a demon possessing a person's body harkens all the way back to the explanation Giles gives in the first season of BtVS (episode 7: "Angel"). Not that I think they're trying to reference that particular episode in last month's issue, but still. It's pretty cool and consistent storytelling!

On an unrelated note, at the moment I'm coincidentally following a weblog entitled "Mark Watches", which is by a guy named Mark () who watches TV shows from start to finish (I think on a one-episode-per-day basis?) and writes up recaps on them. He's currently doing BtVS and is only a handful of episodes in so far. The best part is he knows nothing about the show beyond its premise and has a strict anti-spoiler policy for the website. So it's really kind of a blast reading along and getting all nostalgic for the awesome reveals and twists the show had - knowing what's in store for him and anticipating his reaction! The '90s cheesiness which he notes is amusing as well

If anyone else is interested, you can check it out here!

Anton Chigurh

StormBlue is offline Defender of Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Xurk,

For those of us who may not keep up with the comics, thanks for keeping this thread alive and allowing us to continue our connection to the Whedonverse through you! Also, thanks for the link! I'm excited to check it out. I experienced a bit of that delayed awesomeness, when I finally saw Angel seasons 2-4 on TNT earlier in the year after watching only season 5 during its original run.

creeper is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So how to the comic readers feel about Buffy being
    Spoiler:
    pregnant
    I miss the good ol' days. Toon zone used to be really fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StormBlue View Post
    Xurk,

For those of us who may not keep up with the comics, thanks for keeping this thread alive and allowing us to continue our connection to the Whedonverse through you! Also, thanks for the link! I'm excited to check it out. I experienced a bit of that delayed awesomeness, when I finally saw Angel seasons 2-4 on TNT earlier in the year after watching only season 5 during its original run.
    You're welcome! Sadly, I forgot to update the thread for the latest issues of Season 9 (both #5 issues) a few weeks ago

For anyone still following the Mark Watches website that I linked to, he just did the season two finale the other day - which of course was awesome. So awesome that I'm reconsidering doing a rewatch of the entire show myself. I'd forgotten that season 3 is pretty cool as well until I started thinking of all the things that are in store for Mark over the next few weeks.

Then to BtVS: Season 9 #5 (just finished reading it, Angel & Faith will be read later today). One thing I've noticed is that the way Willow talks and acts in the comic doesn't seem anything much like the Willow I remember from the show. Of course, this Willow is six years older than the Willow I've been reading about on Mark's blog the past few weeks, but still. The way she's been portrayed in the book both in S8 and S9 make her feel like a holier-than-thou character at times and she seems way too serious whereas I remember her being more of a geeky/quirky, fun character.

The dreams didn't work that well for me. Nothing really important seemed to go down in them and it just ended up being too vague and obscure, which made the whole concept less interesting. But who knows, maybe they were full of references we won't get until later, like the episode "Restless" was As for the cliffhanger (referenced in the spoiler by creeper) - did NOT see that coming! I for one have no clue who the "culprit" (keeping cryptic here) is, anyone have any ideas? Or have we seen a scene this season yet which could explain this? If we have, I must be suffering from serious short-term memory loss
    I'm not sure if this is a road I want the story to go down, but I'm at least interested to see how this develops in the next issue...

Touching on issue #4, which I forgot to comment on here: I enjoyed the look at Severin's backstory which was very interesting and simultaneously added to the overall story arc of this season so far. Zompires is a pretty great idea actually and I like the logic behind it! I was also genuinely worried for Spike and Buffy there, for a while (specifically Spike, as we know nothing that bad was going to happen to Buffy so soon - or do we?? ). Can't wait for the reveal on who he was working for. Hopefully it won't take a couple of years to find out, like it did last time with Twilight.

Anton Chigurh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Whew, it's been a long time since I visited this thread... and BtVS S9 issue #10 comes out tomorrow if I'm correct!

Anyone else still on board for one (or both) of the titles? I have to say, things have been interesting (that's an understatement) over the last few months

In Buffy, we found out that she decided to have an abortion after a great issue she spent talking to Spike (making me realize after all these years, I still think they're a better match than Angel and Buffy are). However, soon after that we learned she in fact isn't pregnant after all as this is just Buffybot 3.0 we've been watching for the past few issues...?! Granted, it was Buff'y's consciousness placed inside the robot by Andrew, but still

The whole plot sure is pretty interesting, especially with something big about to do down with Buffy's real body (which is living out Martha Stewart's dream somewhere in the middle of nowhere), but I feel kind of mixed at the moment. Springing a pregnant Slayer on us was a big enough shock, having her decide to have an abortion was another one and her supposedly losing an arm was another blow!

But then all three of these plot points were more or less done away with by having Buffy turn out to "be" a robot. Rendering them all not amounting to much more than shock value... too bad. I don't mind the writers toying with us and handing us some fake-outs, but it feels like a bit too much.

Still eager for the next issue though.

I continue to enjoy Angel & Faith a lot as well I'm still somewhat disappointed that (asides from Spike) none of the Angel cast has appeared yet, but I guess that's just not the story they want to tell. And the current team-up is a refreshing take, I must give them that. Angel and Faith have always had good (non-romantic?) chemistry.

Having Faith's father pop up supposedly a better man only to have him destroy all the progress she's made over the years was painful, as was that leading her to give in and finally be rid of all that torments her (thanks to Drusilla's trauma-sucking demon) only to have all those feelings returned just five minutes later (thanks to Angel)... ouch.

Finally, I thought it was pretty cool to have a sane Drusilla as that makes for some interesting stories. Too bad they decided to revert her back to INsane at the end of the story arc

Anton Chigurh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Of course, I was thinking of issue #9 but was confused as the last Buffyverse comic I read (A&F) was numbered #9 already

Here we go!

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: SEASON 9 #9

(Click to enlarge)

WRITER: Andrew Chambliss
    COVERS BY: Phil Noto & Georges Jeanty
    PENCILS: Georges Jeanty

THE STORY: Andrew doesn't always make the best choices (see Season 6). And now Buffy finds herself and the very course of her life profoundly affected by one of Andrew's over-the-top, idiotic . . . hair-brained . . . schemes. Together with Andrew and Spike, the worried Slayer will have to confront herself and her comrades, as well as a long-standing annoyance, the number-one Buffy hater of all Buffy haters: Simone, the gun-toting Slayer.

Thoughts? What are your comments?

Anton Chigurh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12