Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on the new Ultimate Spider-Man!

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll

1 100.00%
  • ****1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Ultimate Comics Spider-Man" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

The all-new Ultimate Spider-Man is here!

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #1

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    Art by SARA PICHELLI

Two of the biggest names in comics—writer Brian Bendis and artist Sara Pichelli—reveal the origin of Miles Morales, the all-new Ultimate Comics Spider-Man!

Comments?
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think this was a pretty good start. It's interesting to see his relationship with his uncle, I think it's similar to Peter and Ben's. Although Miles' uncle is obviously more morally grey than Ben was. I'm also interested to see what powers Miles has. Invisibility/camouflage is a good one to have, and I'm betting that he'll either have organic web, or someone from Peter's life will give him his mechanical web-shooters.
    Shame we didn't get to see Miles in his Spider-Man outfit though, but that was kinda expected since Bendis doesn't rush through his plots.

W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked it. Not a bad first issue, showing Miles family and how he got bit.

The opening page was a nice call back to the first page of the original Ultimate Spider-Man, with Osborn telling the Arachne story while holding the spider. Although it makes me think Osborn keeps telling that story to every scientist he has working on spiders.

I was a bit confused about the timeline. At the beginning it says "eleven months later" and from what I can tell it must be set in the 'Legacy' arc (volume 4 of the tpb) so it's been eleven months since that story. So all those stories after 'Legacy' (22 tpb's) happened in eleven months? Not to mention that after Ultimatum there was a six month gap between it and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. So all those stories actually happened in 5 months.

Its comics and all, so timelines get condensed and don't really work if you think about them, but it's really weird to think about all those comics happening in such a short amount of time.

Apart from that it was a good first issue and I’m interested to see where it’s going.

King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just hope that when he gets in a battle with someone he keep the mask ON, i was just annoyed that mostly every fight Peter had, he shows his face even in his final battle.
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_of_doom View Post
    I just hope that when he gets in a battle with someone he keep the mask ON, i was just annoyed that mostly every fight Peter had, he shows his face even in his final battle.
    As a final battle I think it works pretty well. And I did hear about how Ultimate Peter being notorious for getting unmasked.

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My reaction to the book is "ah, it's okay". I'm tempted to say "meh" but considering Bendis is, as usual, writing for the trade, I'll give him some time to see what comes out of the first arc. But it would've been nice to see Miles have more of a personality or something, nobody really stands out other than Miles' uncle (who is admittedly awesome sauce). Nobody really makes me care.

The art was fantastic though. Sara Pichelli's rapidly becoming one of the best in the business.

I just hope this doesn't become a thinly veiled do-over of Peter Parker's story. That'll just be a slap in the face because it'll make killing Peter off pointless.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Adam Tyner is offline Amazing!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    I'm tempted to say "meh" but considering Bendis is, as usual, writing for the trade, I'll give him some time to see what comes out of the first arc.
    I dug the book, but yeah, like Justice League a couple weeks back, I truly don't understand why Marvel and DC hype the holy heck out of these new number ones and then put out something so super-super-super-decompressed. There's no Spider-Man in Ultimate Spider-Man #1. There's no Justice League in Justice League #1. There's no memorable villain in either book. If I were someone who didn't ordinarily read comics but bought into the hype, I'd be really disappointed. If you're gonna go this decompressed, why not at least start off with a double issue so something can actually happen in the first issue...?

I really do like this first issue, but if Bendis is just going to write for the trade, then I'm just gonna read the trade.

Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I read this on the recommendation of my brother - it's difficult to review, as well, bugger all happened. I'd usually wait for the trade but then spoilers turn up, but jesus yeah - so very little happened. I realise he decompresses these storylines a lot but you'd think an #1 would start with a bang rather than a slow building whimper.

Did anyone else get a Prowler vibe from Miles' Uncle?
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wasn't expecting to see this the second issue so soon! Almost missed it!
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was better than #1 - I think it would've been a lot better to have #1 be double sized to end up with the better cliffhanger from this issue.

Also, got to say - all of Bendis' characters are beginning to sound exactly the same. Not what should be happening when one of them is a suave businessman in his 50's and the others are teenagers. Still not liking this book too much.
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was an alright issue. Kinda boring though. Lots of talking going on but no action. I think I'm gonna stop with this issue and just wait until the whole arc is done to start reading again, because like many have noted before Bendis tends to write for the trade, so I guess that's how I'll be reading this.

One or the upsides to this was Pichelli's art. Very dynamic and it just looks really good. I'd say she's a marked improvement over Bagely.

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ultimate Spider-Man (Vol 3.) Talkback thread (Spoilers)

I just realized we didn't have one for this series so considering it's first arc is finally done I decided that it's time for one .

So anyways my thoughts, Spider-Man has always been my all time favorite Super Hero and the Ultimate Line was my favorite series featuring the wall crawler because while it wasn't always the best it was the most consistently enjoyable of the lot.

I am probably one of the few who actually liked it more after the first reboot because it let Peter do something that never was allowed to happen in the 616 universe and that was he was actually happy for more than a few issues. He had a lot of friends, his aunt knew he was Spidey (without a magical recton getting rid of it too!) and all of NY respected him. But we all know Peter's luck so of course none of that could last and he was killed off as the closure of the Ultimate Vol 2 line of comics.

I remember hearing about a new Spider-Man taking over this line and I started to think of all the people it could be under the mask now (Eddie Brock for example) only for it to be announced and it to be someone unrelated to Peter at all. While I was happy to see we finally had an Ethnic Spider-Man it still annoyed me that they felt like they had to kill of Peter to introduce this new character and made me feel a distaste for him immediately before even knowing what he was about.

But upon reading the first few issues of the new comic my thoughts on him completely changed and I became a huge fan of the new Spider-Man. Miles is someone who is just starting out and decides to become Spidey for no other reason than to continue the legacy the hero the character had and he wants to do all he can because he feels that he is somewhat to blame for Parker's death. He also has a lot of new powers that Peter never had (like invisibility) that also open a lot of interesting possibilities for the character.

Miles also has an interesting story. While he isn't like Peter and was already living a nice life until the Spider bit him he lives in a bad part of New York and his mother gets him into a school that gives him a chance to make something with his life. He has a really nerdy best friend who loves the fact that Miles has powers now and wants to help him in any way. A dad who doesn't want his son to go down a bad path. And an uncle who is an internationally known criminal. All of this adds up for a pretty interesting new status quo.

While I still wish Peter hadn't been killed off I still like this new guy a lot and I hope he sticks around for a while.

Edit : And it seems we already did have one and my post just got merged into it. That's interesting.
    Last edited by VictoryStar; 01-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.

The Talon is offline Armchair Assassin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ultimate Spider-Man impressed me a lot this week. We finally meet our first supervillian of the new series, Ultimate Scorpion. And wow, the dude just screams bad-ass in everyway. Though, I hope we can get a explanation of his powers, specifically the invulnerable skin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I picked up issue #10 this week and I really loved it. This is easily Bendis' best work in a long time. The uncle character brings such an interesting dynamic to the Spider-Man story and the cliffhanger really has me looking forward to the next issue. Sure I don't think Miles is going to fall into a life of crime like his uncle but I like that Bendis is actively exploring these type of ideas and the temptations that can come with these powers. Then again he has also put Miles into a rough corner with his uncle threatening to tell Miles' dad everything about him being Spider-Man so Miles is in a pretty difficult spot.