James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

The conclusion to the first arc!

ACTION COMICS #8

Written by GRANT MORRISON
    Art by RAGS MORALES and RICK BRYANT

It’s the epic 30-page conclusion of Grant Morrison and Rags Morales’ majestic opening storyline! $3.99 gets you front row seats to the ascension of the DC Universe’s first Super Hero as The Man of Steel goes toe to tentacle with the all-new Brainiac for the final fate of Metropolis!

Comments?

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A nice conclusion to the first story. I found they artist they used to help Morales finish the issue was actually pretty good even though his art really didn't match at all. I find it interesting how different the armored look Superman has differs from artist to artist. Some like to downplay it and others really go out with it and we kind of saw that here. The suit looked really different between the both artists. I am really interested to see what the next issue will be like. I like how DC seems to have given Morrison a lot of freedom on this book.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A special alternate-reality tale! How does it tie in to the New 52?

ACTION COMICS #9

Backup story written by SHOLLY FISCH
    Art and cover by GENE HA
    Backup story art by CULLY HAMNER

• Featuring characters from parallel Earths, including PRESIDENT SUPERMAN!
    • Introducing new villain SUPERDOOM!
    • Guest artist GENE HA joins GRANT MORRISON for this tale of not one, not two, but THREE Earths!
    • And in the backup story, President Superman must stop a nuclear attack – but he can’t leave the White House!

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A nice fun one-off about the Superman of a different world. I hope they do the odd story like this here and there. It is fun to see alternate takes on some of the big heroes. I am looking forward to the three-parter that starts next month. But as much as I am enjoying these I might transition over to trades for this title soon. I have been enjoying Action but it hasn't really grabbed me like I hoped. Morrison is doing good stuff on here but it seems like it could be better.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The summer story-arc is here!

ACTION COMICS #10

Art by GENE HA and RICK BRYANT
    Backup story art by BRAD WALKER

• CLARK KENT is DEAD!
    • The three-part ACTION COMICS summer event storyline begins here!
    • New villain NIMROD THE HUNTER is on SUPERMAN’S trail! He’s killed every living thing he’s ever tracked – but he’s never killed an ALIEN!

Comments?

rggkjg1 is offline Cavill = Welling?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it only took about a year, but morrison finally wrote an issue i felt was way beyond "mediocre". i've been unimpressed with his run since day one. the man wrote all star superman for crying out loud, can we get something even a little bit as amazing in this action comics run?
    Drop everything you are doing and google "michael keaton birdman". They are making a BIRDMAN movie starring MICHAEL KEATON. (supposedly not related to the Hanna-Barbera Birdman)

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Per this month's issue #10, it looks like Susie Tompkins is now back in continuity as Lois' niece (or "step-niece" as Lois notes). Gather this means Lucy Lane is married in the "New 52" (like she was on the original Earth-Two), or Lois has a yet-to-be-introduced newly-created second sibling (I wouldn't put *that* past DC)?

In the Golden Age comics, Susie was Lois' niece, and whose shtick was getting into trouble telling various fibs/tall tales. Susie appeared again in the "Mr. and Mrs. Superman" stories of the 70s, but to my knowledge hasn't appeared or been mentioned since, specially with Lucy Lane established since her late 50s debut as single or attached to men who weren't a "Mr. Tompkins." An Earth-Two married Lucy Lane Tompkins was introduced in the "Mr. and Mrs. Superman" stories to explain Susie's parentage/relation to Lois.
    Visit my other online spots:
    My blog, covering technology, comics, and animation, plus my weekly
    minorities in cartoons feature!
    Twitter
    Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The summer story-arc is here!

ACTION COMICS #11

Art by GENE HA and RICK BRYANT

Superman’s NEW secret identity revealed!
    • LOIS LANE continues her investigation into the mystery of Earth’s FIRST Superman!
    • Plus, in the backup story: We know where Superman got his armor costume, but where did he get all those “S” T-shirts?

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Filling in some of the five-year gap? I'm there!

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/07...dark-and-swamp

Interesting to see the Kryptonite Man in these comics. It's a nice design, actually. I'm glad to see Cully Hamner get more work. I was always a fan of his artwork.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The finale to the three-part summer adventure!

ACTION COMICS #12

Art by RAGS MORALES, BRAD WALKER and RICK BRYANT
    Backup story art by CAFU

• What is the horrific secret behind “THE FORGOTTEN SUPERMAN”?
    • What happens when Superman is too late to save LOIS LANE?
    • And what is the staggering new threat The Man of Steel is about to face?
    • Plus in the backup, Perry White’s brush with death leads to startling consequences for Superman!

Comments?

Dragonpiece is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, that was epic! Fantastic end to the Forgotten Superman arc! So many things happaned! Did anyone else notice there was no back up story for this issue?
    Huge comics fan,anime reviewer,animation watcher, I help run a Toonami site(you can follow it on Twitter @ToonamiNews)

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indeed... no backup story (or Perry appearance) here, just more of Susie Tompkins' plotline. Did notice they didn't show Susie's parents except in silhouette... even though pre-Crisis Earth-2 stories revealed (in the 70s) that Susie's Mom's the (married) Earth-2 Lucy Lane.

Also noticed the "Superman super-speed-reads medical books and learns to do surgery" scene (and the surgeons' reactions) are similar to what he did in a mid-1950s story ("The Girl Who Doesn't Believe in Superman").
    Visit my other online spots:
    My blog, covering technology, comics, and animation, plus my weekly
    minorities in cartoons feature!
    Twitter
    Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Discover the origins of The New 52!

ACTION COMICS #0

Art by BEN OLIVER
    Backup story art by CAFU

• Don’t miss “The Boy Who Stole Superman’s Cape”
    • Grant Morrison weaves the history of Clark Kent’s early days in Metropolis!

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First off I really loved the artwork by Ben Oliver. He has a really interesting style that's a great blend of cartoony and realistic. And the story itself was actually pretty sweet and could possibly be Morrison's best issue on the book to date. It had a nice whimsical quality about it.

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's pleasantly surprising that even when Morrison drops in random bits of the classic Superman mythos into the modernized storyline, I am still completely hooked on this comic. I've never read a Superman title for 13 straight months. (Seriously, the landlord is Myx's mother? Seriously?! Why don't I want to stop reading after that?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A new year of Action Comics begins!

ACTION COMICS #13

Art by TRAVEL FOREMAN

• You won’t want to miss the return of Krypto!
    Superman must face down a threat from the Phantom Zone – with the help of The Phantom Stranger!
    • Grant Morrison makes a major change in ACTION COMICS in this special issue featuring art by Travel Foreman!

Comments?

Gatordragon is offline El Zombino - level 1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Great Halloween issue! It was so heartwarming seeing Superman rescue Krypto from the Phantom Zone. Krypto looks a lot like Wolf from Young Justice. Does that mean Krypto's going to appear in later issues?
    Last edited by Gatordragon; 10-04-2012 at 06:08 PM.

El Zombino of the Huracan clan from Urban Rivals

For little brother, Jorgito, life is above all a tale of opportunities. So what better time to put this to the test than during the Festival of the Dead in Los Santos? Jorgito and his sister have concluded that, OK, you may not be able to negotiate with death, but you can make some damn good money out of it!

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Morrison...stop writing so good. I don't want to like Krypto. I don't...

:: weeps ::

You will pay for this, Morrison.

Nice to see Travel Foreman's artwork again. I was surprised to see him drawing a Superman title after last seeing him on Animal Man, but he crosses genres very well. It helped that the nature of the Phantom Zone story was inherently trippy.

Since Morrison's time on Action will soon be ending, I will be scrutinizing the stories more intently. He's had a lot of time to build this Mxyzptlk storyline and I hope he finishes it up instead of passing the plot points onto another writer.

I have heard from a friend who bought the first Action TPB that the issues are not in release order, but rather in chronological order. Supposedly the series reads a lot better that way. Pretty soon I should re-read the entire run so far to freshen myself up on the plot point drops I likely overlooked or forgot about so I'm ready for the final few issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Superman versus...Kryptonite!

ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #1

Written by SHOLLY FISCH
    Backup story written by MAX LANDIS
    Art and cover by CULLY HAMNER
    Backup story art by RYAN SOOK

• The secrets of the “missing five years” between when Clark Kent came to Metropolis and the present day continue to be revealed!
    • In the wake of Brainiac’s attack on Metropolis, Superman faces his first Earth-born villain: the Kryptonite Man!
    • Plus: A special backup story by the screenwriter of Chronicle, Max Landis!

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The story didn't wow me but I have to say that I loved the artwork here. It was so dynamic and it really fit the lookof the New 52. DC should really give him a regular spot on the books. Heck, bring him on Action Comics instead of Daniel. He made this issue looked great! I didn't find the villain too engaging and the story felt a bit bloated. The back-up story was pretty good though. It was also nice to see Irons again but I'm just not a fan of his design here.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast