• 1/2

3 33.33%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

At this point I figure I may as well have the full story, so awhile ago I got issue 5 off Comixology. But I'm really unsure if I want to keep going with this beyond issue 6, and since JL is supposed to be a flagship book (right?) I'm surprised to be feeling that way.

I feel as though I can honestly describe Justice League as "adequate" but not "great". I have no idea how they're going to wrap this up really well with one, yes one, issue left to go before this whole origin story is going to be over. In that time Batman has to rescue Superman on Apokolips (& presumably everyone else kidnapped), and everyone else will have to drive off Darkseid, and if we're lucky they'll fit in a satisfactory epilogue.

I think this could have used twelve issues instead of six. This thing has just been moving too fast. Batman and GL have gotten good attention & this story does seem to belong to them the most, but generally my sense is that this first arc is mostly a means to hastily introduce everybody. We get a small sample of who these people are and then it's on to the next introduction, the next big twist. But these heroes have spent precious little time working together & bonding with each other so far, and the best world building has happened via these supplemental extras at the end of the JL issues (Amanda Waller questioning Steve Trevor? Great material). They could have taken their time to tell a really good story & get new readers familiar with these characters much more. Instead, we'll have covered the basics and who knows how much time will pass before all the Leaguers are well-covered by this book. Speaking of which, they've really skimmed over Aquaman and Cyborg in particular.

And then we have Darkseid. How misused has he been? He shows up and has one banal line ("I AM DARKSEID"), mops the floor with the heroes and goes on his way. He's sufficiently formidable, sure, but as portrayed here he's certainly not much of a character so far. Anyone who knows DC knows this guy is as bad as they come, but here he simply comes off as a scary villain. But he's much more than that.

On the bright side, it's possible that we're witnessing the transition of Hal Jordan from a pompuous jerk to...well, something more tolerable. Batman's been great as the calm rationalist, and to me it was surprising to see him take the cowl off and completely level with Hal. Batman's often seen as this brooding badass, but this book shows that Bruce Wayne is, at the end of the day, a genuinely good man at heart. Most of my favorite moments & episodes about Batman in animation touch on that, so I appreciate that this book does it too.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The finale of the first action-packed story-arc!

JUSTICE LEAGUE #6

Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

The Justice League is united at last against Darkseid! The awesome consequences of this high-stakes battle will resonate within the series for years to come! Geoff Johns and Jim Lee end their historic first arc with a bang!

Comments?

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So...did DC just introduce an out to this whole new DC Universe with Pandora? When Phantom Stranger said that things were wrong it really seemed like this is giving DC Comics the open to change things down the road if they need to. Aside from that I thought this first arc was good. Nothing special but a good introduction for new readers to the Justice League and the "Super Seven" joke was pretty funny. Nice art as always and the back-up was really interesting too. And could Pandora be Darkseid's daughter? I don't think it would make a lot of sense but it might be an interesting twist.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Epic closure to the first story arc of the reboot. They even had a line that made me tear up " I thought there wasn't going to be a tomorrow until I saw them. The Justice League. Then I knew there would be a tomorrow." It really showed the hope the JL can inspire by just being there and the hope they can give people.

Also it was nice finding out why Pandora merged the 3 universes into one. Sure it was to make the universe stronger to take care of her own dirty work but it's interesting none the less. I also love how it was done in a way that they could have undone the reboot had it failed but luckily it didn't. Also I love the mention of the multiverse when Super-Man us saved. Earth 2 seems to be having there own variation of Darkseid's attack alongside the other multiple earths that are going to star showing up starting with Action Comics 9. I could see Darkseid's return being 2013's big DC Event but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

All in all a great issue and here's to continued adventures of The Justice League in the DCnU!

Oh and I'm calling this now : Pandora is Darkeseid's daughter.

Simpler Simon is offline Always in Style
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So how do you go after someone who's been shooting lasers out of his eyes at you? You stab him in the eye. Both of them. So ridiculously simple yet effectively brutal. I was floored.

Now that bit does highlight one of Geoff Johns' recurring weaknesses, and that is there's no secret strategy to the big battles other than to just 'regroup and try harder.' The heroes actually don't go into battle with a plan, they just hit Darkseid a lot harder. Along the way Cyborg gets his cue to save the day, but its an impromptu call to action.

Overall I think a lot more could've been done with the first arc, especially in terms of equally sharing the spotlight among the characters, but it reads well, looks great, and it's accessible to the casual fan. The use of splash pages and 2-page spreads does border on abusive but what else did you expect from Jim Lee? I'm curious to see where the League will go next, so it's obviously working.

And the Pandora backup: this could still be DC's 'out' in case they want to restore parts of continuity but not others. What we've now got is a weird Star Trek effect where a select few know the timeline has been rebooted, meaning it's still technically all one continuity. I'm waiting to see at what point new readers will be pointed towards reading pre-Flashpoint material to figure out what's going on.
    Note to self: No More Heroes avatar in use since April 10/2009. Previous avatar lasted 2 years, 9 months and 4 days!!! Holy Stale Avatar Batman!!

Temple Fugate is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first arc of Justice League has helped me figure out what kind of superhero stories I want to read from the New 52...and Justice League is not one of them.

When the news began rolling out about the New 52 almost a year ago, I was eager to hear the speculation. What would change? Would it be good? Would it be interesting? What stories could they tell now that they couldn't tell before? As a result, I've doubled the number of DC titles I usually read, checking out different parts of the new universe and seeing how it's changed.

I find that what I was really looking for, all this time, was nuance. I wanted to be intrigued by super hero stories again. I wanted to feel like a kid staring wide-eyed at a universe that was heretofore unimagined and amazing. There are some books that have given me that reaction, like Animal Man.

Justice League, for its merits as a solid super hero team book, did not live up to my expectations. Sure, I enjoyed the ride. I chuckled at Green Lantern's dialogue. I felt for Victor as his life was changed forever. I mentally pumped my fist when the League defeated Darkseid. But between each issue, and especially now that the arc is over, I felt nothing. I didn't take anything away from the story. I couldn't detect a meaningful theme. I felt cheated out of proper introductions for almost every League member. The story was spread over six issues, yet it was paced so fast there was hardly any time to explore the meat of the situation. I feel like I binged on chocolate pudding for six issues and now my stomach is aching because I never fed it the nutritious main course.

I guess I'm just more drawn to the B-list heroes with their more intimate surroundings and smaller-scale but emotionally resonant conflicts. I can't root for a super hero team if I don't really know it's members, and what little establishment we got in this book is not enough. Granted, almost every member has their own main title, but if you look at Justice League as DC's flagship series; the one book they promoted and released first, solo, in the final week of August; the title that comic book novices are supposed to pick up, read, and fall in love with... I don't think it succeeded as well as it could have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A special two-part arc with artwork by Gene Ha! Don't skip this issue because Jim Lee is taking a break - check it the first modern-day adventure of the The New 52! Justice League!

JUSTICE LEAGUE #7

Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art by GENE HA and GARY FRANK
    Cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

Now that the team’s origin story is complete, starting with this issue we shift to the present-day Justice League! What has changed? Who has joined the team since? Featuring artwork by Gene Ha, the story also reintroduces the team’s greatest champion: Steve Trevor!

Also starting in this issue: “The Curse of Shazam!” featuring a story by Geoff Johns and art by Gary Frank! Discover Billy Batson’s place in DC Comics – The New 52 as we reveal his all-new origin story!

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really weak issue IMO. I know this is Justice League and it's supposed to be the headliner of the New 52, the greatest battles and the like but I really thought this issue would be a cool down after the epic finale of issue 6 to show how things have changed in the last few years, who has joined, some hints at some epic battles they've had, and how much they have grown as a team since then.

The art didn't help much either, while it's not the worst and does it's job the style is kind of ugly and it'll have to grow on me over time. This guy also doing the art for Batman Earth One may help with that.

I really enjoyed the Captain Marvel (Not Shazam) backup I might add. Billy Batson has been given a lot of personality in these few pages than I've ever seen him have in all of his comics. Most of the time he's just Superman without all the powers but the good heart and all but here he's a bit of a jerk and seems to live a somewhat normal life because of being in a foster home rather than a homeless orphan.

I can see Billy getting a lot of character development in the title and becoming the young Superman he used to be once again but we'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So we're still technically not at present day, if Hal still has his lantern ring. I know DC likes having their cake and eating it too, but this is doing nothing to sort out all the bugs in the revamped timeline.

Adding to that is this story doesn't feel like '5 years later', but maybe only 1 year later. The League feels like a shell of what it needs to be, with no one listening to Batman, Green Lantern mooching off government supplies and Wonder Woman being embarrassed to be on the team. There's some good moments with Steve Trevor but even the 'League vs government' idea is glossed over with a throwaway joke. I'm just not sure why I should find this iteration of the League appealing.

Shazam! backup - I like the idea of the Wizard 'searching' for the chosen one, a good lead into Sivana's obsession with proving magic exists. Did not feel Johns needed to include a 'This Year On' for a backup story, however.
    Note to self: No More Heroes avatar in use since April 10/2009. Previous avatar lasted 2 years, 9 months and 4 days!!! Holy Stale Avatar Batman!!

kid rabbit is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know about Billy being a jerk
    it didn't work for aquaman in the 90's

Knight is offline Emerald Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This series started off ok and has become progressively worst. I just finished issue 6. Its hard to believe Geoff Johns wrote this. His Gl portrayal is really bad and this is by the man who made Hal relevent again. Darkseid was weak and didn't have that big villain presence. Worst of all the story was stretched out and hardly worth the 24 dollars for the storyline. I don't know if this series is worth collecting at this point.
    "God has given me a gift. Only One. I am the most complete fighter in the world." - Boyka (Undisputed III)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The modern-day adventures of the The New 52 Justice League!

JUSTICE LEAGUE #8

Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art by GENE HA and GARY FRANK

In the five years that the Justice League has been a team, Green Arrow has never once been a member. And he intends to rectify that right here, right now! One member against his candidacy: Aquaman!

Plus, in "The Curse of Shazam" part 2, Billy arrives in his new foster home just as an ancient evil is uncovered halfway across the world.

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That two-page spread with the League fighting Martian Manhunter is a great image and I'm definitely interested to find out what else happened in the five year gap between the first act and the current one. That "they are not prepared" comment at the end of the story really has me interested. I really enjoyed the fill in art, too, much more than last issue. The back up here with Shazam is also improving. Billy is still pretty unlikable but it seems like they are slowly working on redeeming that.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

The Dark Lord is offline 54985870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Green Arrow trying to join the League was hilarious. Lots of stuff to laugh at here. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    That two-page spread with the League fighting Martian Manhunter is a great image and I'm definitely interested to find out what else happened in the five year gap between the first act and the current one. That "they are not prepared" comment at the end of the story really has me interested. I really enjoyed the fill in art, too, much more than last issue. The back up here with Shazam is also improving. Billy is still pretty unlikable but it seems like they are slowly working on redeeming that.
    Yeah, I was wondering about the whole thing with MM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Justice League remains consistently readable and engaging every month, though it's still not at the point where I'd like it to be.

- DC needs to cement its direction with the revamped Green Arrow. Johns' take is more engaging than the Krul/Jurgens/Giffen issues and less convoluted than Nocenti's issues so far, but the character still doesn't have a distinct voice. It's hard for me to root for him to join when I really can't see the value he'd add to the team.

- I like the numerous references to other books including Night of the Owls, but the editorial caption boxes are annoying. Yes, it's a comic book tradition to cross promote, but it's still a major distraction. You also have to consider most people reading Justice League know what's happening in the Bat titles, on the off chance they're not following them already.

(on a side note...DC need's to figure out how the Green Lantern books are fitting into the overall timeline, because there's no way Hal can be GL in Justice League if Sinestro has taken over in the other book.)

- The League still isn't likable to me, and that's my major concern. Compared to where we are now, Morrison's JLA run reads almost like a Silver Age-level of camaraderie, and Meltzer's run had the heart and legacy from decades of history. Nothing about the group's current dynamic would make me want to audition as their 8th member. That the League can't be bothered to clean up its own mess after fighting Amazo is telling. I hope Johns is building something here and the next arc will show a League willing to accept new members and re-evaluate its current position.

- The Martian Manhunter reveal: Fantastic. Though a part of me is sad that it looks like we'll never see the original 7 together again.

- Shazam! Backup: I like where this is going. It's inevitable now that Johns will base the new Shazam! on the Flashpoint version of multiple kids coming together, but I'd be curious to give that a spin in a sustained format. Mary should still be Billy's sister in this continuity...right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now this is what I'm talking about! This issue was a huge improvement over the last one with a lot of funny moments and a major improvement in the art department. I loved the tie in the Night of the Owls during one of the scenes in the comic too, glad to see the rest of the DC world is acknowledging the event.

Let's hope the next issue continues with this quality of writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jim Lee is back for a new four-part story-arc!

JUSTICE LEAGUE #9

Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

“THE VILLAIN’S JOURNEY” begins here! Part one of a story introducing an all-new major nemesis for the Justice League by GEOFF JOHNS and JIM LEE!

In part three of the SHAZAM! backup story, Billy Batson attempts to get used to his new life, new school and new family as Sivana unleashes an ancient evil imprisoned long ago.

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It looks like we're being introduced to the big bad of the new DCU with David Graves. They have been dropping hints of him over the past little bit and I'm pretty sure that skulls plays into this somehow. This was a solid issue with some nice art and I got a chuckle out of Batman and Superman texting each other. The back up was cool too and it seem slike we may be getting a take on SHAZAM like in Flashpoint with all the different kids. A good issue! Glad I'm sticking with the book fora bit longer.

Manga4life is offline DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Issue #8's art was a mess, especially at the beginning with some terrible panels, but it evened out toward the end of the issue thanks to Ivan Reis and his amazing pencils. The story of Green Arrow trying to join the Justice League was pretty comical, I laughed when he was given the option to join another team and hopped on the chance without even asking who they were. I did enjoy the overall story over the past 2 issues even though they don't seem to know where they're going with it right now, it does feel like something may be building though and I like that.

Good stuff overall, I just hope to see Jim Lee back on pencils with issue #9 or #10, it gives the book an epic feel to it that puts it above all the rest. Cinematic would be the word I'm looking for.

Yeah, I have a....

Blog! Latest blog entry 1/2/2013 - "Valiant Entertainment: The BEST publisher in comics today!"

I have a Twitter, follow me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I somewhat skipped over the first part of issue #9 because I'm finding the current story arc to be really uninteresting but I did like how they keep bringing up that the world is different and something changed it for better or worse, first in issue #6 by outright saying it and now in issue #9 with the letter Bruce got from his dad at the end of Flashpoint. I wonder if they are still doing this as a copout just in case they want to go back to the previous universe or because it will be important to DC's next big event.

The Captain Marvel backup was as great as ever though! A lot of good moments between Billy and his new family and it seems we may actually see Marvel himself in the next installment! If this was a real comic on it's own I'd probably drop JL and exclusively read this but it's not so I'll keep buying.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast