Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

There is a trade from Ape Entertainment called Freakshow. It is very good. It's a deconstruction vaguely along the lines of Watchmen, but with more of a focus on being a monster v. being a hero. The characters are great and the story is engaging. I highly recommend it.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

rggkjg1 is offline Cavill = Welling?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok people, i'm gonna need some big help here. STAN LEE will be appearing at a convention near me in june and i'm looking for something to get signed. this particular item i'm looking for is a poster, but i'm having trouble finding the right one. i'm looking for a poster that has a good amount of marvel heroes on it. the best i've found was this:

http://agentmlovestacos.com/post/173...ter-which-is-a

i'm hoping to pick that one up if i come across one. i'm mainly looking for a poster that's a "vintage" piece (either an original or reproduction) with the marvel characters drawn by ditko, kirby, romita, steranko, ect. the only thing current i would get is an alex ross poster. i also dont care if it's a lithograph or a print. i also would be interested in a magazine or comic book where the covers have a bunch of marvel characters.

if anyone has seen a poster, magazine, or comic book that's what along the lines of what i'm looking for, let me know. i've tried every search possible in finding the right poster, but i'm not coming up with much. i'm also not going to simply search "marvel poster" because i dont feel like going through 4000 different items. the poster might also be a promotional piece (thats never been reprinted) instead of a regular in store item where i'll need more exact information to search for it.

i did come across the 70 years of marvel poster book. is what i'm looking for in there?
    Drop everything you are doing and google "michael keaton birdman". They are making a BIRDMAN movie starring MICHAEL KEATON. (supposedly not related to the Hanna-Barbera Birdman)

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    does anyone know where i can get posters/prints/lithographs/ect of comic book covers? i am looking for a fantastic four 48 art piece, but im not getting much. i came across two on allposters.com. unfortunately i feel the "untouched" art item is way too much and i'm not too interested in the cheaper "vintage/retro" looking item.

is there any alternatives to allposters.com where i can get cheaper, "untouched" comic book cover art?
    Drop everything you are doing and google "michael keaton birdman". They are making a BIRDMAN movie starring MICHAEL KEATON. (supposedly not related to the Hanna-Barbera Birdman)

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since it's Super Dinosaur week (for me) I figured I should plug it. Super Dinosaur is an Image series by Robert Kirkman (Invincible, Walking Dead) and Jason Howard (worked with Kirkman on Astounding Wolfman).
    The premise is simple: A young genius and his sentient dinosaur friend, Super Dinosaur (or SD), fight bad guys. It's an all-ages book, but don't let that turn you away. Super Dinosaur is one of the good ones. Kirkman's a great writer. His characters are likeable and really come to life. Howard's artwork is cartoony and masterful especially in action scenes. The story has a few great twists already (it's on issue 9).

Super Dinosaur is essentially everything you loved about Saturday morning cartoons and comics as a kid distilled into one awesome action packed series. The bad guys can be hammy and some of the plots are over-the-top, but the series relishes in it and makes it work. And the great writing makes everything fall into place nicely. If you're up for something a little different I highly recommend SD.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd like to add some classic X-Men story lines to my collection, but I'm not sure what collections there are. I know "The Dark Phoenix Saga" is probably the biggest one, and I believe there's actually a new TPB of it coming out this week or next. Any others that come highly recommended?
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Unforgettable.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I'd like to add some classic X-Men story lines to my collection, but I'm not sure what collections there are. I know "The Dark Phoenix Saga" is probably the biggest one, and I believe there's actually a new TPB of it coming out this week or next. Any others that come highly recommended?
    Yes, I'd recommend:

Days of Future Past: Great dark alternate future story.

Mutant Massacre and Inferno: I really love the 80s X-Men, and these are two of the bigger and better events they were involved with.

Broodfall: Another great 80s story. X-Men Vs. the Brood (kind like the monsters from Aliens) with Marc Silvestri art. There's also a followup miniseries from the 90s. You can find this all collected in one volume called X-Men Vs. the Brood - Day of Wrath.

X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills. Really cool one-shot.

Fatal Attractions: If you're looking for 90s stuff, it doesn't get much more 90s than this. Huge X-Men crossover with X-Men Vs. Magneto and a shocking ending.

And if you want more recent stuff I'd recommend Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon and Grant Morrison's New X-Men.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24
    Besides "The Dark Phoenix Saga", the only other "Classic" storyline that comes to mind is "Days of Future Past". (and really, "Days of Future Past" only occurs in two issues, the rest of the issues in that TPB are the build-up to those issues). The only other storyline I can think of is maybe X-Men: Mutant Massacre, though that was more of a crossover between the various X-Men titles, not sure if that matters to you. I put the word "storyline" in bold because the long running Chris Claremont era (which is probably what you're looking for) is all one BIG storyline (Claremont wrote the title for 17 years, and it was all one ongoing plot, not a bunch of individual stories written for TPB's). I spoke here previously about how best to go about reading the Claremont era, so allow me to quote myself:

Many years ago, when the Essential books first came out (the mid 90's?), I bought the first Essential X-Men TPB (which starts with Claremont's run on Giant Size X-Men #1). That was my first introduction into the classic Claremont era. I then started going back and buying the individual issues from the early 80's onward - the ones that I could afford anyway. My collection starts after "Days of Future Past" ends (with John Byrne leaving the book). That's about when the price on the individual issues becomes affordable.

Those early issues (from Giant Size X-Men #1 to "Days of Future Past") are too expensive to buy individually, so you can either buy the Essential X-Men vol. 1 and 2, or if you prefer these issues in color (which I do) and you're fine with tracking down individual issues, I recommend getting the "Classic X-Men" series from the mid to late '80s. It reprints all of the early issues, with "extended Director Cuts" (in other words, they have new story pages written by Chris Claremont, inserted into original issues, along with extra back-up bonus stories, which complimented the original stories). "Classic X-Men" is something I just discovered in the last couple of years, and it's really nice addition to the X-Men mythos (John Bolton's artwork is welcome discovery as well).
    In short, buy the Essential collections, but if you don't like those because they are black and white reprints, buy the "Classic X-Men" comics.

EDIT: I see Shawn posted inbetween my starting this post and stepping away from the computer and coming back. Yes, those are some other storylines. I still maintain it's better to think of the Claremont era as one big storyline in and of itself.

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'd forgotten about "Days of Future Past." I think that was adapted for a couple episodes of the '90s cartoon. The others are new to me, so I look forward to checking them out as I can.

Wasn't there also a story line, or maybe just a two-parter, where Cyclops left for a time? I don't remember the issue number, but I believe it had a famous cover (later homaged a variety of times) where Cyclops is in the foreground walking away while the others are watching sadly in the background.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Unforgettable.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'd forgotten about "Days of Future Past." I think that was adapted for a couple episodes of the '90s cartoon. The others are new to me, so I look forward to checking them out as I can.

Wasn't there also a story line, or maybe just a two-parter, where Cyclops left for a time? I don't remember the issue number, but I believe it had a famous cover (later homaged a variety of times) where Cyclops is in the foreground walking away while the others are watching sadly in the background.
    Cyclops has left the X-men more than once, but you're probably thinking of issue 138.

He left because of the events of the Dark Phoenix saga. He doesn't officially rejoin until 150.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i'm still trying to track down a fantastic four #48 print (if push comes to shove, i'm gonna get the 35 dollar one). anyway, i'm also wondering if the original cover for #48 has been used as a cover for one of the various marvel reprint titles or used on a magazine cover. i know about the wizard ace reprint, and a #48 homage cover from a 90s fantastic four issue, but i want the kirby art only.

i'm really surprised that i'm not coming up with much regarding this issue. i feel this is one of the most iconic marvel covers ever and one of the best marvel universe stories ever written. let alone that this is also the first silver surfer appearance. why am i having such a hard time with this issue when i can easily find spider-man or x-men reprints with just as equal importance as this comic does.

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rggkjg1 View Post
    i'm still trying to track down a fantastic four #48 print (if push comes to shove, i'm gonna get the 35 dollar one). anyway, i'm also wondering if the original cover for #48 has been used as a cover for one of the various marvel reprint titles or used on a magazine cover. i know about the wizard ace reprint, and a #48 homage cover from a 90s fantastic four issue, but i want the kirby art only.

i'm really surprised that i'm not coming up with much regarding this issue. i feel this is one of the most iconic marvel covers ever and one of the best marvel universe stories ever written. let alone that this is also the first silver surfer appearance. why am i having such a hard time with this issue when i can easily find spider-man or x-men reprints with just as equal importance as this comic does.
    That cover was used for the cover of Marvel Masterworks Volume 5.

http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/mar...f/ff_mm05.html

I'm very humble, too.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not a huge comic book fan, but I really recommend you guys to check out Robert Kirkman's "Invinicible". A lot of twists and turns, and everything I would want in a superhero book.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanx54 View Post
    I'm not a huge comic book fan, but I really recommend you guys to check out Robert Kirkman's "Invinicible". A lot of twists and turns, and everything I would want in a superhero book.
    I have the first 24 issues of that, haven't read any of it yet though.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    That cover was used for the cover of Marvel Masterworks Volume 5.

http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/mar...f/ff_mm05.html
    i'm actually trying to find the #48 cover art used again as the cover for a single issue or magazine reprint only. i want to put the #48 art in a frame and display it. the easiest way to do that would be with a comic/magazine or the art print.

i know after the hard time i'm going through looking for exactly what i want, and right after the convention, marvel will announce a special 80+ page reprint issue of fantastic four #48-50 with the classic #48 front cover reused again. (for the record, i have the silver surfer: coming of galactus trade/cardstock reprint and the actual original fantastic four #48 - getting that autographed is not an option)

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i'm actually trying to find the #48 cover art used again as the cover for a single issue or magazine reprint only.
    Looks like you're out of luck, far as I can tell. It was also reprinted in Marvel's Greatest Comics, but with a new cover. It was reprinted in 100 Greatest Marvels, but the cover is reproduced inside.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 05-03-2012 at 02:09 PM.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i at least know i'm getting a poster and a hardcover autographed by stan next month. i want to get an actual comic book signed by him though. i was thinking of getting my julie schwartz superman tribute issue signed and marvel zombies #1 signed as well, but i don't think they're as impressive as a 60s/70s marvel comic (original or reprint) he wrote. so, if you could get one or 2 marvel comics signed by stan lee, what would you get autographed?

is there any kind of special issue where a bunch of marvel characters appear together on the cover? (besides an avengers comic because spider-man, daredevil, fantastic four, and x-men arent members of the avengers)

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    alrighty, looks like i've found some comics that meet the criteria for what i'm looking for.

marvel legacy: 1960s handbook:
    http://www.comics.org/series/16784/

marvel's greatest comics: fantastic four #52 reprint:
    http://www.comics.org/issue/300053/

is that fantastic four issue the only silver age marvel reprint in that format (an exact replica of the actual comic with ads, letters to editor, ect)? i'm thinking that if there is something else, it would be called "marvel reprint #5" or something and not exactly stick out when using specific search terms.

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i at least know i'm getting a poster and a hardcover autographed by stan next month. i want to get an actual comic book signed by him though. i was thinking of getting my julie schwartz superman tribute issue signed and marvel zombies #1 signed as well, but i don't think they're as impressive as a 60s/70s marvel comic (original or reprint) he wrote. so, if you could get one or 2 marvel comics signed by stan lee, what would you get autographed?
    I'd get my original copy of Fantastic Four 51, the "This Man, This Monster" story signed because it's probably the best thing he ever did. I could give a flip about whether it lowered the value.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i also found fantastic four annual #3:
    http://www.comics.org/issue/18847/

i think i'm finally good to go now. if only marvel used the original cover on the recent reprint one shot, ARHGHGHAHGHAGHAHGHAGHAHG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seeing all the marvel characters jammed on the original cover is more impressive than the new gene ha cover. alex ross' wedding with the celebrity cameos is more impressive than the gene ha cover. come on marvel!!!!!!!

BIRDMAN
    OCTOBER 2014

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast