Quantcast
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by rggkjg1 View Post
    Is the first issue of the new Astro City ongoing series a nice accessible sampling of what it's all about, or do you need to have read the previous material when going into the new ongoing series (of which I havent)?
    I haven't read the first issue of the new series, but Kurt Busiek's Astro City material is known for being easily accessible for new readers to join in (in my opinion). Lots of his issues are self-contained stories, and even the storylines are self-contained - in the past, it's been kind of an anthology series: you may have a stand alone issue focus on the superhero known as "The Samaritan", then a 3 to 6 issue storyline focusing on some other hero (or villain!). The story overall follows the events of the city, not any one specific character or plotline. The stories may be set in different timelines as well (one story set in the 1950's, another set in the present day).

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

I, Spyral is offline Moonrider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Decay View Post
    Hey guys. Recently started to read Marvel particularly Marvel Now I guess. Never really read marvel before and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the history. What can you guys recommend so that I can be well versed in what's going on in X-men and All New X-Men? (I'm going to also start reading Uncanny X-Men and Uncanny X-Force) I've already read AvX.
    Thanks.
    I'd recommend AvX: Consequences, which bridges AvX and the Bendis books.

For back issues, X-Men Season One or Jeff Parker's X-Men: First Class would be good for covering the O5 X-Men who get time-travelled to the present.

I think that's pretty much all you would need.

rggkjg1 is offline Batman v Superman
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if Marvel has a similar official suggested/recommended reading list like either of these DC lists? I've read mostly everything on both lists and want to see how I compare with a Marvel list if one exists.

DC Essential 25 Graphic Novels (read 21 of 25):
    Review: DC Entertainment Essential Graphic Novels and Chronology 2013 trade paperback (DC Comics) ~ Collected Editions

DC 30 Essential Graphic Novels (older list that was slimmed down to the 25 list above. read 19 of 30)
    DC Comic's 30 Essential Graphic Novels ~ Collected Editions
    MICHAEL KEATON IS BIRDMAN
    OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER
    OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL TRAILER
    (R rated language)

NOW PLAYING. OFFICIAL TOONZONE TALKBACK

Anime-Technocrat is offline www.webcomicsnation.com/jm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BD (Bandess Dessinee)

Holy Moly I wish I knew about that stuff sooner.

I can't recommend BD (Bandess Dessinee) or French Franco Belgian comic book tomes straight outta France enough. I started writing a blog about them.

They're exactly like anime and manga in terms of detail levels and visuals, but more Western.

They're incredibly obscure, and when you say french comics, most people only know of the big three:

Tintin (Herge)
    Asterix
    Moebius

But there's a neo movement going on, with books like Blacksad and Monster Allergy, and createurs like Enki Bilal

I noticed they kind of draw comics like I do (quite frankly), and it intrigued me to see a national style so similar to my own that WASN'T Bone, Sin City, or One Piece/Tezuka.

-JM
    The future of your employment depends on one thing. Where you live.

If you live in Asia, you stand a much better chance of drawing anime and manga in a studio better than everyone else.

If you live in North America, apply that rule to traditional American cartoons instead.

GWOtaku is offline Wishing You Holiday Cheer!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Hey, anybody ever read the old Samurai Jack comics? The ones collected in the "Samurai Jack Classics" collections now? Getting curious about those. I'm following the current comic run from IDW and am enjoying that one, my only complaint being that I wish the books could be longer.

Samurai Jack Classics Vol. 1 - Comics by comiXology
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, we all know Apocalypse is going to be in the next X-Men movie. What X-Men Apocalypse stories are good? I looked into "Age Of Apocalypse", but that looks just too much of an overwhelming story to read. Is there any required/essential Apocalypse stories that are little more "shorter"?
    OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER
    (R rated language)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alrighty, I want to get ready for the upcoming Flash TV show. What's is some Flash stuff I should get? I have assorted Post Crisis Wally West Geoff Johns issues. I have Flash: Rebirth. I have the short Brightest Day-Flashpoint Johns Flash ongoing series. I have a reprint of Barry's first appearance in Showcase and the Flash of Both Worlds hardcover. I am looking into Mark Waid's run. I am also wondering if there is some type of post crisis relaunch origin story (Batman: Year One, Man Of Steel, the first arc of Wonder Woman), or any "definitive" origin story arc/mini series.
    Quote Originally Posted by rggkjg1 View Post
    Well, we all know Apocalypse is going to be in the next X-Men movie. What X-Men Apocalypse stories are good? I looked into "Age Of Apocalypse", but that looks just too much of an overwhelming story to read. Is there any required/essential Apocalypse stories that are little more "shorter"?
    Anyone?
    OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER
    (R rated language)

GWOtaku is offline Wishing You Holiday Cheer!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Acting on very old Ed Liu advice, I picked up a bunch of Atomic Robo comics from Comixology awhile ago. This was not a mistake. Moments like this one are pretty much the baseline for what happens in it all the time. Too much fun! All hail action science.

I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm looking for some Deadpool comics to read. In light of the Deadpool movie news I wouldn't mind looking at some of his books so if anyone has a good place to start please let me know.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910