Quantcast

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on This Series!

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll

2 28.57%
  • ****1/2

2 28.57%

2 28.57%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

1 14.29%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829
    King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    I really recommend anyone who picked up #700 to pick up the epilogue issue in Avenging Spider-Man #15.1. I think it really plays well and actually really adds to the whole story. I will say it made me more interested in the story than issue #700 actually. It does have me curious since we get little peeks at how Ock will be handling Peter's life for the next year or so. I kinda wish this story was included in #700.

And that second printing variant is a great cover!
    Yup, i like how Avenging adds more to it. I do hate how Doc Ock gloats that he beat Spider-Man without realizing that Peter had the last laugh and it will show on future issues.I like to see Doc tries to act more friendly with Peter's friends and stop acting like he's superior to them, leave that to Spidey and not the Superior Peter Parker. He will soon realize that because of the friends Peter had made he will see how useful they are on tight situations and Doc has to appreciate that even if he hates to admit it.

He thinks it will be easy to be Spider-Man but he will soon realize it's not a walk in the park,
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, I have read a Spidey title in a long time, but this is a milestone issue for various reasons, so I paid the somewhat outrageous $7.99 for the book. In isolation, it's not a terrible read. Of course, you have to have the mindset that nothing in comics is ever permanent, so you can't let any anger you might have about Doc Octospidey drive you nuts too much. So with that in mind, the only other thing that bothered me was MJ's lack of befuddlement at Ock Spidey's weird speech patterns.

All in all, I think the story was surprisingly engaging.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatHairyDeal View Post
    Okay, I have read a Spidey title in a long time, but this is a milestone issue for various reasons, so I paid the somewhat outrageous $7.99 for the book. In isolation, it's not a terrible read. Of course, you have to have the mindset that nothing in comics is ever permanent, so you can't let any anger you might have about Doc Octospidey drive you nuts too much. So with that in mind, the only other thing that bothered me was MJ's lack of befuddlement at Ock Spidey's weird speech patterns.

All in all, I think the story was surprisingly engaging.
    That is the really weird thing in the book. That nobody really notices Peter is acting outrageously strange. M.J. is the worst example because Spock is selfish, verbally short and mean and she acts like that's the way it's always been. It's like those old cartoons where He-Man or whomever will be replaced with an evil twin with glowing eyes and no one will say "Hey, why are your eyes glowing?"
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A great video on The Escapist went up over the past day or two that takes a look at the whole controversy around issue #700 and I have to say it's a great rebuttal to the overreactions that have floated around the net.

The Escapist : Video Galleries : The Big Picture : Stuperior
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm trying to get caught up with this series, starting with One More Day, and, man, is it hard. Very rarely have I found a comic that's actually painful to read, but this one is a tough slog.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, Dan Slott's writing will do that to you. Although I actually LIKED #700 surprisingly. It was crazy cheesy, but it kind of worked as the "final" issue anniversary celebration thing. Also, Movie Bob, ugh...
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The reveal about Peter reminds me of Dr. Light in John Ostrander's Suicide Squad. Dr. Light was haunted by the previous Dr. Light, who seemed to be pushing him to be more heroic, until he tricked him into killing himself. I wonder if Peter will try that if the whole pushing Spock to be heroic thing doesn't work?

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Still tryna read OMD. I've been working on it for more than a week, but about four pages at a time is all I can stand. I laughed out loud when the devil said "I want your marriage!" and put it back down again. So stupid.

The weird thing is, there are hints of good writing and insight into the character in here, but it's all crammed so hard into a plot-induced-stupidity rife editorially mandated package that it still manages to be, hands down, the worst Spider-Man story I have ever read. The worst clone saga issue is Shakespeare compared to this. Utter garbage.

I'm very humble, too.

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Still tryna read OMD. I've been working on it for more than a week, but about four pages at a time is all I can stand. I laughed out loud when the devil said "I want your marriage!" and put it back down again. So stupid.

The weird thing is, there are hints of good writing and insight into the character in here, but it's all crammed so hard into a plot-induced-stupidity rife editorially mandated package that it still manages to be, hands down, the worst Spider-Man story I have ever read. The worst clone saga issue is Shakespeare compared to this. Utter garbage.
    Still trying? Wow. it doesn't get any better, you know.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: Forget Five Nights At Freddys....can you survive even ONE night with this Misfit Christmas Special, so Misfit it never even AIRED? Plus a bonus Misfit in Claymation!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Still trying? Wow. it doesn't get any better, you know.
    It's just four issues. You'd figure a fella can make it through four issues of anything, but this one's starting to challenge that preconception.

Edit:

Made it through it! Whew!

Okay, here's why I think it's the worst Spider-Man story I've ever read, and it's not because Spider-Man makes a deal with the devil. It's because this story gives us a Spider-Man who has learned NOTHING in nearly 50 years of stories. The whole point of Spider-Man's origin is that he made a terrible mistake and made up for it in the only way possible, by becoming a better, more caring person.

But in this storyline he conveniently forgets all of that. He doesn't want to deal with the consequences of his mistake, and it's not because he cares about Aunt May, she's just a prop for his true selfish reasons. He doesn't want to live with his mistake because it MAKES HIM FEEL BAD. That's his real motivation, he says it himself. He's such a selfish child that he's eager to give up his love and any future kids he would have, to the devil, because he didn't want to feel bad about something for a while.

That's just not Spider-Man. That's a spineless wimp with less emotional strength of character than you would find in a random person on the bus. Adults live with their mistakes, they go on, they try to be better. They don't take easy outs this way. I know it was editorially mandated and JMS did his best to justify it, in fact he sneaks in commentary on how screwed up Peter's choices are from Mephisto, but it's still an awful package.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 01-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.

I'm very humble, too.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829