Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Comic issues or series that face legal problems in the reprint department.

Like This Thread!

Trade Paperbacks are a great thing for comic book readers. Issues that were out of your range because you're not rich are accessible through them. But much like how some shows are unaccessible on DVD (if not an episode or two), there are some issues that may not see reprints anytime soon (or at all). Which issues do you know of that can't be reprinted?

1. What If? #13 (The story basically asked what would happen if Conan The Barbarian ended up in the modern age): To my understanding, Marvel doesn't have the liscense to reprint any Conan based comics or issues that may feature Conan. As such, this issue was skipped in the What If? Classics TPB.

2. The Ren & Stimpy Show #6: To my knowledge, companies that loaned out their liscenses to comic book companies can reprint their material provided they find another publishing company (or I'm at least guessing given that IDW has reprinted Star Trek comics that Marvel published). So if Nickelodeon wanted to reprint their Nick comics, they probably could. But unless they were reprinted through Marvel, this Ren & Stimpy issue would be left in the dust due to the appearance by Spider-Man.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't remember the exact numbers, but there are two issues of Spawn, within the first 10-12 issues I believe, that haven't been included in various TPBs because of rights issues. Fortunately, I still have the first dozen or so issues individually.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Unforgettable.

Bloody Marquis is offline Quite smashing, eh?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I don't remember the exact numbers, but there are two issues of Spawn, within the first 10-12 issues I believe, that haven't been included in various TPBs because of rights issues. Fortunately, I still have the first dozen or so issues individually.
    Are they the ones Neil Gaiman did? Because I recall there being a huge conflict going on between him and Todd McFarlane when it came to characters and creation rights.

Speaking of those two, Miracleman was an entire series that couldn't be reprinted due to legal issues. But now with Marvel having bought the rights to it, these comics might finally see the light of day sometime soon.
    Yes, there are amazing things up there in the universe, but they’ve got some very stiff competition down here on Earth!

Animation Revelation: We have punch and pie. / Reviews / Features
    And ImpishIdea For You Writers!

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Beavis and Butthead comics are probably in permanent limbo, too. They featured Beavis and Butthead making fun of pages from Marvel comics, like they did videos, so unless Marvel itself was involved they probably won't be reprinted, at least not in their entirety.

You probably won't be seeing Rom Spaceknight, either, because Marvel doesn't have the license to the toy. Or the amazing original issues of Master of Kung Fu, some of the best comics Marvel ever did, unavailable for reprint because they use Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu and related characters, which Marvel also doesn't have the rights for. Marvel still uses both of these characters, kinda, they had to take the Rom out of the Spaceknight and remove his iconic armor. But the only way to get the old stuff is to find it in back issue bins. Rom's Dire Wraith War actually had some major impact on the Marvel universe, too. Something I'm not sure of is that Rom himself appeared in issues of Power Man and Iron Fist, Marvel Two in One and the Incredible Hulk, I'm wondering if those can ever be reprinted.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    The Beavis and Butthead comics are probably in permanent limbo, too. They featured Beavis and Butthead making fun of pages from Marvel comics, like they did videos, so unless Marvel itself was involved they probably won't be reprinted, at least not in their entirety.
    Now the B&B comics were on my mind when posting, but since said panels were in no way relevant to the story, they could be removed without consequence. The Ren & Stimpy Show issue on the otherhand centered around Spider-Man.

Now were there any mainstream issues that Rom appeared in, or were his appearances limited to his own comic?
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiyonder View Post
    Now the B&B comics were on my mind when posting, but since said panels were in no way relevant to the story, they could be removed without consequence. The Ren & Stimpy Show issue on the otherhand centered around Spider-Man.

Now were there any mainstream issues that Rom appeared in, or were his appearances limited to his own comic?
    Yeah, he had some guest appearances. Wikipedia says Powerman and Iron Fist, Incredible Hulk and Marvel Two-in-One.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
    Are they the ones Neil Gaiman did? Because I recall there being a huge conflict going on between him and Todd McFarlane when it came to characters and creation rights.
    I checked online, and the issues in question are #9 and #10. #9 contains the first appearances of Cogliostro and Angela, created by Neil Gaiman, but the second issue is one that features Cerebus, created by Dave Sim. Apparently the Gaiman issue was included in an early TPB (in the US and UK), but has been left out of collections published after the lawsuit, whereas the Cerebus has never been reprinted in TPB form.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Unforgettable.

John Pannozzi is offline Just call me "J-Ko"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I checked online, and the issues in question are #9 and #10. #9 contains the first appearances of Cogliostro and Angela, created by Neil Gaiman, but the second issue is one that features Cerebus, created by Dave Sim. Apparently the Gaiman issue was included in an early TPB (in the US and UK), but has been left out of collections published after the lawsuit, whereas the Cerebus has never been reprinted in TPB form.
    Issue #165 has never been reprinted either, due to it featuring one of Gaiman's characters.

Let us not forget the Transformers issues that feature Marvel characters like Spider-Man and Circuit Breaker (the latter was only in I think one non-TF Marvel book and I believe appeared in TF first, which I think should have made her property of Hasbro as far as I concerned).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Yeah, he had some guest appearances. Wikipedia says Powerman and Iron Fist, Incredible Hulk and Marvel Two-in-One.
    Found a list of appearances and cameos: http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comi...hecklist.shtml

I'm not sure what the policy is on camoes made by Rom, but one of the listed issues is Uncanny X-Men #187, and I recall that making it into Essential X-Men.

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DC was going to print a few 80s era "Showcase Presents" TPBs of Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew plus All-Star Squadron, but pulled them (and not announced a new release date in a few years), apparently over their royalty situation (late 70s and 80s DC books had a different royalty scheme of some sort). Guess they must've resolved it for a few 80s reprints (the Outsiders and the IIRC upcoming Suicide Squad), so still waiting for those Zoo Crew / A-SS volumes...

IIRC, there was a Ren and Stimpy TPB of at least hte earliest issues put out a long time ago by Marvel...

My Showcase Presents copy of the 70s "Shazam!" run doesn't reprint the cover and lead story for issue #25, due to said lead story featuring "Isis", from the 70s Filmation live-action series. Thus there's an odd blank page before that issue's non-Isis story starts (about the bicentennial)...

-B.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Micronauts, another excellent licensed comic from the 70s and 80s, is also in this kind of limbo. They can still use some of the characters that Marvel owns like Bug, but others are off limits. There was a Micronauts and X-Men limited series too.

I'm very humble, too.

Wolf Boy2 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
    Let us not forget the Transformers issues that feature Marvel characters like Spider-Man and Circuit Breaker (the latter was only in I think one non-TF Marvel book and I believe appeared in TF first, which I think should have made her property of Hasbro as far as I concerned).
    There's also Death's Head, who was introduced in Marvel UK first so he wouldn't become property of Hasbro. Bad move, in the long run because now the UK stories featuring him can't be reprinted in the USA.

For some odd reason, Titan books in the UK was able to reprint them and even sell them in the US. I have the entire run in Titan TPBs, which I like better than the IDW reprints because they don't shrink and resize them into the US format.
    "Since God created man, and man
    created the Transformers, the Transformers are like a gift from God!"
    --Clerks 2

Dantheman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder what the status of something like the issue of Marvel Team-Up where Spider-Man teams up with the "Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time Players" aka the original cast of Saturday Night Live, against the Silver Samurai?

Is it something that if Marvel wished to reprint, they'd have to get NBC Universal's permission, and/or the actor's permission, especially the estates of John Belushi and Gilda Radner?

There's also the matter of an '80s issue of the Avengers where they appear on David Letterman's Late Night show. I wonder what kind of rights thing that has, especially with Dave on another network now.

Rick Jones is online now Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if Marvel ever put effort into acquiring ROM.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    It would be nice if they could do that and then add him to something like the Marvel Legends Toy Line. 80s nostalgia fans would have to change their pants.

I'm very humble, too.

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    Considering Marvel has Disney money now, they could.

Also, Hasbro is the current maker of Marvel's toys and ROM is one of their toy lines, so there's that as well.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

jlaking is offline Brainiac is someplace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Flex Mentallo mini-series has not been reprinted due to legal action from the Charles Atlas company.
    If you want the FUNimation Channel, click here for more information (remember if there is no demand for it, you will never get it).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know the issue number in question, but an issue of Captain Planet & the Planeteers would also be unreprintable due to an appearance by Fin Fang Foom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I wonder what the status of something like the issue of Marvel Team-Up where Spider-Man teams up with the "Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time Players" aka the original cast of Saturday Night Live, against the Silver Samurai?

Is it something that if Marvel wished to reprint, they'd have to get NBC Universal's permission, and/or the actor's permission, especially the estates of John Belushi and Gilda Radner?

There's also the matter of an '80s issue of the Avengers where they appear on David Letterman's Late Night show. I wonder what kind of rights thing that has, especially with Dave on another network now.
    I think the Marvel Team Up issue was skipped in the Essentials trade. So I guess it's copyright issues.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
    Issue #165 has never been reprinted either, due to it featuring one of Gaiman's characters.

Now this I wonder about. Since Marvel and IDW did work together for some crossovers (Transformers/New Avengers) could they cooperate for a joint reprint of the Transformers issue mentioned?

Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually, The SNL and David Letterman appearances could be considered "satire" (or at least fictional depictions of public figures) so they could be kept in (dave actually made an appearance in west coast avengers a few years later, wonder man and abomination were fighting and at one point crashed into the studio). Another series that this affects is Masters of the Universe. The first issue of the DC series cant be reprinted as it involves superman, and an issue of the Star series involves a flash gordon character, which was used since marvel at the time also owned the defenders of the earth comic rights). BTW, anyone know if ROM's entry appeared in the essential handbook of the marvel universe trades?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Recalled another comic line unavailable, though for all we know they may have sorted it out.

http://www.toonzone.net/news/article...ptain-n-on-dvd

The Nintendo Comics System books are in legal limbo, thus no reprints anytime soon. Which is a shame. I came across some old reprints and found the stories to be fun or in the case of the Gameboy and Captain N comics to be compelling reads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast