View Poll Results: Rate and Comment On This Storyline!

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%
  • ****1/2

1 50.00%

0 0%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Captain America: Reborn" Mini-Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    Steve Rogers returns to the Marvel Universe, but how exactly did he escape death?

Reborn: Prelude

Free On Marvel Digital Comics

Written: Ed Brubaker
    Pencils: Luke Ross

The Story: Captain America Reborn: Prelude, from Eisner-winning scribe Ed Brubaker and fan favorite artist Luke Ross, reveals just what happens before the hotly anticipated Captain America: Reborn #1 hits stores tomorrow! There may be a way to save Steve Rogers, the man known as Captain America who was brutally gunned down in Captain America #25 and captured the attention of the mainstream media worldwide, but how does the daughter of his arch-enemy the Red Skull play into all this? What does she know about the assassination of the world’s greatest hero? Find out now in this eight-page Captain America Reborn: Prelude

--------------------------------------

Captain America: Reborn #1 (of 5)

WRITER: Ed Brubaker
    COVERS BY: Bryan Hitch, John Cassaday, Alex Ross and Joe Quesada
    PENCILS: Bryan Hitch

THE STORY: Following the events of Captain America #600, Steve Rogers’ closest friends and allies may have found a way to bring back the original Captain America. Or is what they found something more sinister? The Red Skull’s greatest plan to destroy Captain America has been in motion and its completion is almost at hand. Will Captain America be lost forever or will he be REBORN?

Comments?
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Hollaman is offline Pronouced Holla-mane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I read a column on Comic Book Bin about what Captain America: Reborn might be about.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Frisk
    ...Hopefully, if Marvel is planning to use Bradley, it isn't done as a publicity stunt given his race, the popular, and best we've had in a long time, current President, and all the many, many comics being produced taking advantage of President Obama, etc, but as a worthwhile socially and politically metaphoric story, that can be done very well. The idea of an African American Captain America is one that appeals to me, simply because it can be a great story that can reflect some (obviously, not enough) of the change that we are experiencing here in America.

Would a "Return of Steve Rogers" story be one that is new and groundbreaking, while keeping with the tradition of Captain American being a representative metaphor for America? No. Rogers was the hero for the America of the 1930's and 1940's, where he represented a naieve, but well meaning, force for good against an unspeakable evil, Nazism. Throughout much of his long career, he constantly fought against this same evil, as it was rebirthed over and over again, in countless Red Skull, Baron Strucker, and HYDRA stories . No matter what their new guise or scemes, they were the same villains and ideological metaphoric enemies Steve fought over and over. Steve represented the America of WWII, and he kept representing it against such foes. Then, he was murdered and his former partner, seeking redemption, took on the mantle. Bucky became the Captain America that served as the metaphor for the current America. One that was tarnished. It got involved with, and started wars without serious reason, debased itself by sinking to the depths of behavior usually displayed only by her enemies, and desperately needed to redeem itself in the world's eyes. If Bradley would become Captain America, they he would represent the metaphor of the America that the best of us are striving to be. An America that is color blind, where race doesn't matter, only ability and integrity of character, is the goal, along with an America that has a desire to extend a hand to its friends and neighbors, listen to those who it is at odds with, and reach out with diplomacy first, and the swift hand of action only as a last resort.
    I really hope this is not just the rebirth of Steve Rogers because it would just prove how cheap comic book deaths gimmicks are. But I do agree that the Steve Rogers and the enemies that he fights are outdated and no longer relevent to America today. How many Nazis do you see making trouble today or in the last 60 years? If it is in fact the rebirth of Steve then please make it something more.

If it's giving the helm of Captain America to Isaiah Bradley, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, I emplore you Marvel to not just use this as a stunt to gain media attention, please. I mean I hate to say it but I wish that they didn't exploit Barack Obama being president just to sell comics. Isaiah Bradley should define what America wants to inspire to be in the world of today and tomorrow and to update Captain America.

What ever they decide to do, I hope that they don't eff this up.
    HOLLA BACK AT CHA BOY HOLLAMAN!

Please? I thoroughly enjoy good conversation and I really don't have that much going on in my life.

The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollaman View Post
    I read a column on Comic Book Bin about what Captain America: Reborn might be about.

I really hope this is not just the rebirth of Steve Rogers because it would just prove how cheap comic book deaths gimmicks are. If it's giving the helm of Captain America to Isaiah Bradley, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, I emplore you Marvel to not just use this as a stunt to gain media attention, please.

What ever they decide to do, I hope that they don't eff this up.
    Just read issue 1 and from the the first issue they say how he's alive. He's stuck out of time thanks to a variation of Dr. Doom's time cube that he built for the Red Skull, and the gun that Sharon used to kill Steve, well that was developed by Doom as well. From what I got from it, the ammunition that Sharon shot Steve with acted as sort of the key or a homing device (?) for Doom's time thing to get him. But Sharon smashed it during her tale to Hank Pym, The Vision, and The Falcon. Because of that smashing, Steve is stuck time jumping ala Lost. Zola/Redskull told Norman Osbourne everything about what he had done, that the real Steve is alive, but stuck somewhere in time.

I mentioned Lost because if you watched this past season of it, he's time jumping in and out of various points of his life in time. He's not sure why he's jumping yet, but he remembers everything about his life up until he was shot it seems. He jumped to World War 2, then to his child hood self as he watched his mother die, and then right back to WW2. Think of it too as sort of Quantum Leap as well.

If this is what Ed Brubaker had planned all along, so be it. But for me, it seems kind of lame. I'll defineatly read the whole thing to see how it plays out, Bryan Hitches art is great, but I kind of think the device to Steve's return has been done many times and is not original.
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I really hope this is not just the rebirth of Steve Rogers because it would just prove how cheap comic book deaths gimmicks are. But I do agree that the Steve Rogers and the enemies that he fights are outdated and no longer relevent to America today. How many Nazis do you see making trouble today or in the last 60 years? If it is in fact the rebirth of Steve then please make it something more.
    Dude. Captain America is a hell of a lot more than a guy that punches Nazis.

Also, I think it'd be absurd to bring in Bradley. If that was going to be done it would have and should have been done in the first place, instead of having Bucky step up. They've also gone ahead and said that Steve will come back, so if they pull a fast one and don't do it it'll be a massive slap in the face. They'll have basically told an outright lie in order to sell comics.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

soundmonkey44 is offline Melancholic Man.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea, Nazi's are an outdated, but still just as disliked Villian group. So Im guessing Steve will be Aiming for Osborn when he gets, back. Wich is good considering Osborn in ways is the perfect allegory for the corrupt Business man Turned corrupt Poitician. Not to mention comparable to many modern Real life Political Leaders, that I shall refrain from naming due to backlash.
    Nerd Of All Trades, Master Of None.
    Archie Sonic & Megaman Comic Fanboy.
    HUB & TOONAMI Fanatic.

ShadowGUN is offline Hey listen!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wait wait..... what the Hell? That how they are bringing him back? That pretty lame. I mean it is similar to what DC is doing with Batman.

Also if Steve was alive all along, whose spirit was Thor talking to in his own title? Loki (yeah knowing Marvel is gonna be Loki )?
    "Toonami:Tougher than the Best,Stronger than the Rest."

TOONAMI LIVES (5/26/12)

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know this is a moot point based on what we already know, but rhey wouldn't bring in Isaiah Bradley at any rate, so that's kind of a dumb theory. He's old and the longterm Alzheimers-like effects of the serum have screwed him up mentally and physically.

They could, however, use his son, the Muslim minister Josiah X. Now that would be a change of pace and a pretty good story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_X

Their were actually serious plans to replace Captain America permanently with Issue 300, with a Native American character named American Eagle. The writer on the book spent months setting it up but Editor In Chief Jim Shooter found out about it and nixed it.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

gummibears is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If this does not lead to the full fledged return of steve rogers i will never buy another marvel comic again, not that i have lately. Rogers is my all time favorite super hero, without him as cap i just cant get into comics. i have not read a cap comic since july-aug of last year. I do remember marvel saying when they killed him off that he was gone for good. i feel silly for believing them, but boy am i happy!

Hollaman is offline Pronouced Holla-mane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    Dude. Captain America is a hell of a lot more than a guy that punches Nazis.
    Oh yeah I know, I was just saying that what he represents / needed to be / needed to exemplify was more relevent in the 30's and 40's than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by gummibears View Post
    ...I do remember marvel saying when they killed him off that he was gone for good. i feel silly for believing them, but boy am i happy!
    I also feel silly for believing them too, but I can't say that I'm happy about it.

Anyways it seems like it's just going to be bring Steve Rogers back to life. *Sigh* I really hope that there is an underlining meaning or alegory to the death and resurrection of Steve Rogers and not just some killing a character to gain media attention stunt.

Please anyone who read the issue is it just bringing him back to life? If it is then I not picking it up.
    HOLLA BACK AT CHA BOY HOLLAMAN!

Please? I thoroughly enjoy good conversation and I really don't have that much going on in my life.

The Clown Prince is offline My God carries a big Hammer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Please anyone who read the issue is it just bringing him back to life? If it is then I not picking it up.
    With the time jumping aspect of it, I don't know if Steve did actually die or not. But Redskull and Zola did pull Steve from the past and based off the special gun that Doom developed to help pull Steve from the past that Sharon shot Steve with, he's pulled out of time AFTER he's shot. Whether or not he did die, I don't know yet.
    "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf in 'The Fellowship of the Ring'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast