• *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ultimate Spider-Man #123 - 128 "War of the Symbiotes" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Venom returns in Part 1 of “War of the Symbiotes”!

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #123

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
    Artist: Stuart Immonen

The Story: When Spidey’s most fearsome foe strikes, it looks bad for the outmatched web-slinger, but Silver Sable and her Wild Pack may turn the tide! Have they come to save Spider-Man or is their motive something more sinister? Plus: this story adapts, expands and incorporates the hit Ultimate Spider-Man video game (which Brian Michael Bendis just happened to co-write) into Ultimate Spider-Man continuity! So be like Venom and return to Ultimate Spider-Man to find out why folks like Wizard are saying it’s “the best Spider-book on the stands right now.”

Comments?

Related Threads:

-Ultimate Spider-Man Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought this was pretty poor. For a villain with the potential Venom had, Bendis missed the mark completely. While Bendis can go on his tirades about how much Venom from the mainstream books sucked, he's done an even lousier job than they have with the character.

His pacing is getting worse too. And I know I mention it in every Ultimate Spider-Man thread, but Jesus Christ, I miss Mark Bagley - nobody draws symbiotes as good as Mark Bagley.
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Xurk is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm, I'm not sure about this yet. I'll have to wait and see where it all goes.

The art isn't that bad, I've come to be able to appreciate Stuart Immonen, even though I did catch myself wondering how Bagley would have drawn this issue and that it's a shame he only got to do one Venom arc on this book.

I don't like the fact that Venom actually eats people [whole??] in this incarnation But I did think it was a "fun" twist to have everyone who sat on his bench and listened to his story [hello Forrest Gump!] not walk away, but probably eaten by him
    The storytelling was a bit confusing though; the part with Rhino is supposed to be recent, or from Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #1 two years ago? And all of the sudden, Venom is fighting Spider-Man, something I think is a shame is told through a flashback. I was expecting them to not fight until the present. Oh well, there'll probably be a lot more fighting before this story is over.

Anton Chigurh
    : What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss? - No Country For Old Men

Mad Mod 49 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So be like Venom and return to Ultimate Spider-Man to find out why folks like Wizard are saying it’s “the best Spider-book on the stands right now.”
    True, but even then it's wasting it's potential, as IMO it has been since that damn Carnage arc. All storylines since just never appealed to me at all except for the Clone Saga. Bagley's departure just makes it worse, he made USM for me from the start anyway, not Bendis.

tb4000 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess with the whole eating people thing, this Venom won't turn into the anti-hero 616 version anytime soon. Even that one was a monster, he was somewhat redeemable.

desi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xurk View Post

I don't like the fact that Venom actually eats people [whole??] in this incarnation
    It was pretty fun to do in video game but even their he didn't eat them...just absorb their energy. I think Immonen's art is good in this issue. The issue of course was just recap for people who haven't played the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #124

The Story: “War of the Symbiotes” rages on – as the Ultimate Beetle takes flight! Deep inside the corporate headquarters of Roxxon lies a vial containing the creepy black symbiote substance…or at least it did, until the Beetle stole it! Can Spider-Man capture this bug thug before disaster strikes, and what is Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D.’s interest in the stolen material? The answers await in the book that has Ain’t It Cool News saying “It’s got excitement, emotion, action…I have such love for this book.”

Comments?
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just read this issue, and I'm trying to figure out if it's all a flashback. Is this arc just a rehash of the videogame?

The Ultimate version of the Beetle kicks ass.
    Mama
    Just killed a man
    Put a gun against his head
    Pulled the trigger
    Now he's dead
    --Queen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The War of the Symbiotes rages on – and the next victim may be Spider-Man himself!

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #125

The Story: The high-flying Beetle has sliced off a tentacle of the slavering symbiote called Venom – but what does he want with it? Howling in pain, Venom gives chase to his tormentor through the streets of Manhattan, catching the attention of a certain wall-crawler. And when all three combatants come together, what occurs is so shocking, so unexpected, it could only happen in the book in which anything can happen!

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillacropoli View Post
    I just read this issue, and I'm trying to figure out if it's all a flashback. Is this arc just a rehash of the videogame?

The Ultimate version of the Beetle kicks ass.
    I got the same feeling reading that issue! All of the sudden, it seemed like an exact translation of the video game

I don't care for the Ultimate Beetle though. Villains that never utter even a single word and just fly around causing havoc seem pretty dull to me.
    So far, this storyline manages to remain interesting. I love Immonen's depiction of [Eddie Brock] Venom! It's on pretty much the same level as Bagley's was back in the first appearance IMO But I hate the way Bendis is depicting his attitude; all he does is talk like Doomsday and eat people [gah, that even sounds silly typing it], so after he ate that scientist and the cop[?] I was starting to dislike this arc...
    But then we got the final splash page with the Venom symbiote attached to Peter and well, that was kinda cool

Anton Chigurh

Rtkat3 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know the reason about Beetle's agenda with the Venom sample. When he debuted in the "Ultimate Spider-Man" video game, he freed the Ultimate Green Goblin and obtained a vial containing a sample of Sandman. Concept art of the special edition of "Ultimate Spider-Man" showed Beetle in the Latverian Embassy presenting the Sandman vial to Doctor Doom in some plot to develop Latverian super-soldiers. This might be case during this storyline. On a related note, Green Goblin was shown breaking out of the Latverian Embassy and knowing that, they were possibly trying to get a DNA sample.

So far, the Ultimate Marvel Beetle's identity is unknown. When it does get known, more info on Ultimate Beetle can be contributed to Marvel Database and Wikipedia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guest-starring the Ultimates!

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #126

The Story: The worst has happened -- Peter Parker has become the dreaded symbiote Venom! And not only is Silver Sable and her Wildpack on his gooey trail, but our troubled hero is also in the crosshairs of the Ultimates!

Comments?

Nightwing is offline WF Old Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I feel very similarly to how Stu feels about Ultimate Spider-man lately, but I'm liking the stories okay. The Ultimate Venom stuff always felt a bit too Vanilla to me. I'm a fan of the outerspace symbiote. The story's pacing also hurt that for me a little, but I'm still liking what I'm reading.

I'm still warming up to the design revamps from many moons ago. The Movie look is nice, but Ultimate Spider-man was really its own, ya know? That's what it was, and you just had to accept it. Anyway, Peter getting sucked into the symbiote was very cool and in character for the suit (wanting him), Peter (not wanting it), and Eddie hating Peter for it.

Granted I still feel that ever since Spider-man 3 I keep getting Venom throw in into pretty much every panel of every comic ever. lol.

The bout with The Ultimates was worth the story arch, I'd say.
    -Nightwing; WF Mod;

Please speak slowly
    My heart is learning
    Teach me heartache
    Stop this burning
    Now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An okay issue, although this story's pacing once again proves the prejudice of Bendis' writing being decompressed - or "for the trade" if you'd rather call it so. There's just two issues left and really all that's happened is we saw some of Eddie's flashbacks, him eating some people and then the symbiote bonded to Peter and had a smackdown with the Ultimates.

What I did like about this issue is how Peter continued to grow larger and grotesquer as the story went on, while wearing the symbiote. That was a nice visual touch. And my favourite part of the issue? Peter complaining about the hole in the butt of his spare costume The cliffhanger wasn't too bad either though, so bring on the two final issues

Anton Chigurh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The storyline continues!

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #127

WRITER: Brian Michael Bendis
    PENCILS: Stuart Immonen

THE STORY: Carnage versus Venom for all the marbles! It's the big conclusion to the War of the Symbiotes as Eddie Brock returns to Midtown High after months away. He seeks out Peter Parker and demands that Peter either help him find the Venom symbiote that once was grafted to him or Peter's secret identity will be revealed. Who should show up at his doorstep but a very much alive blast from Peter's past!

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was actually a pretty interesting issue for what went on in it [not a lot]. I enjoyed Spidey's monologue while swinging around, it felt like some sort of classic relief The short bit with MJ telling Peter to slow down was odd though, I can't help but feel that was thrown in just to coincide with the USM Annual that just came out this week, judging from its solicitation text...

I liked Ben Urich in this issue and Gwen has me interested enough to be looking forward to the conclusion! That final page was kind of freaky, though.

Anton Chigurh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The conclusion of “War of the Symbiotes”!

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #128

The Story: An unwelcome caller pays a visit to the Parker household in the form of Eddie Brock, the former host to the sinister Venom symbiote! Blaming Peter for his loss of the symbiote, Eddie will stop at nothing to regain it. As the situation comes unglued with the untimely arrival of Gwen Stacy, it’s Ultimate Venom versus Ultimate Carnage as War of the Symbiotes comes to its crashing conclusion! Plus: More on the mysterious Beetle and his mission for the “master”!

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh, I really don't like Ultimate Eddie Brock / Ultimate Venom. This story arc is over and still, no clue as to how he survived the last story he was in. I mean, it was pretty clear that something at least very bad happened to him back then, if he even survived.
    And now he's back but he didn't do anything really interesting during this whole story! All he did was eat a bunch of people, lose his symbiote, whine a lot and then steal the Carnage symbiote. And now he's been absorbed by Ultimate Beetle??

I guess the Gwen Stacy part of the story was okay, it's nice to have her back, even though how we got here is nothing short of convoluted and now her character is kind of messed up. It was also nice to have Stark standing up to Danvers, it seems like the Ultimates are taking Peter's side more often nowadays

All in all though, this wasn't a particularly enjoyable arc... just so-so. Three stars.

Anton Chigurh