Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Free Comic Book Day 2008 Talkback

Like This Thread!

Free Comic Book Day will soon be upon us (if you're going to hit "Post Reply" to ask, "What's Free Comic Book Day and how do I do it?" please click here before you do, or else we're just going to snicker and laugh at you from behind the Internet).

So, post here to brag about your haul, talk about what cool stuff your shop did for FCBD, and review your free comics. To get things rolling, here's Postmodern Barney reviewing the FCBD offerings, since he works in a comic book shop and can do that kind of thing. Clearly, he made some kind of a mistake in the entry for FCBD Atomic Robo, which must be thoroughly awesome because it's Atomic Robo and Atomic Robo is made of Awesome.

Also, for the record:

- FCBD 2007 Talkback
    - FCBD 2006 Talkback
    - FCBD 2005 Talkback

Too lazy to find the rest.

-- Ed
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember this day! I'll be forcing my ma out o' bed early tommorow so my local library doesn't run out!

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While Hastings didn't have as much on the Free Comics, I did get:

- X-Men
    - Marvel Adventures: Iron Man & Hulk & Spider-Man
    - Bongo Comics Free For All
    - All Star Superman

When I get a chance to visit my comic store, I plan to get:

- Gyro Gearloose
    - Sonic The Hedgehog
    - Shonen Jump Sampler

I'll have to check out the Neotopia before I decide.

Anyway, I'll be getting some additional copies for the kids in the neighborhood so I need some recommendation on some all age titles (as in ones that won't get me in trouble with their parents). So far I figured these titles are fair game:

- Owly & Friends
    - Marvel Adventures: Iron Man & Hulk & Spider-Man
    - All Star Superman
    - Jughead
    - Tiny Titans
    - Gyro Gearloose
    - Sonic The Hedgehog
    - Transformers Animated
    - Gumby's Coloring Comic Book Special #1
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Buggers at the local lirbary didn't have any out despite having a big ol' sign up.

adoptedBatpuppy is offline Confidence is the Key
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't feel bad, I had to work all day today so I did not have time to run to my comic book store.

The issues I relly wanted to read are Nascar Heroes 5 All Star Special and Hero by Night.

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The nearest comic shop is 60 miles from my home, so I had my friend who lives up there nab me what I wanted. I really need to think about moving...

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

IDistractedYou is offline Perky Prince of Painful Puns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.cnjcomics.com/(A Cleveland, Ohio comic shop that Brian Michael Bendis has said is his favorite comic shop at one point on his website) had a midnight madness party/sale. They had food, DJ, a mini bar and memebers of the 41st Star Wars Division in attendance as Obi Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and an AT/AT Trooper. Trades were 20% off and back issues were 50% off. It was quite fun and they usually get some attention from the local media at their events.

For freebies I picked up the adorable Tiny Titans, Amelia Rules, All Star Superman (The writing was nice) but the art left me rather meh, Love and Capes, The Bongo Simpsons comic, and some Marvel Iron Man hulk comic that was thrown in my bag. It was quite fun and lots of kids showed up for the freebies.

"I am by trade neither writer nor historian;I am merely a master of fabrication, which I am told is all one requires to take up either of the aforementioned pursuits."

dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got these 5 free comic book day comics: Jughead, Shonen Jump, Transformers Animated, Superman, and Gyro Geargoose.

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One local shop had a crapload of them, but only offered one-per. My main comic shop that I have my subscriptions at had little left, but was offering three-per.

That, my friends, is why I keep giving them my business.

Managed to score (with some help from my dad):

-Transformers Animated
    -X-Men
    -Avengers/Invaders Sketchbook
    -Bongo Free-For-All
    -Jughead
    -Who Wants To Be A Super Hero?
    -Marvel Adventures Iron Man/Hulk

If I didn't already own it, I'd grab Tiny Titans. Because it deserves to be read by everyone.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

MajorTom is offline DI-AH-PERS!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got Gyro Gearloose, the Uncle Scrooge from a few years back, Bongo Comics Free-for-All (Really good this year), Gumby, and Maintenance. Also got Strangers in Paradise Vol. 2, Jack of Fables Vol. 2, and Rose for 30% off. And I got an action figure of the Hooded One from Bone for three dollars. Good haul this year.

Isondill is offline Snowfall Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, let's see what I got...

Bongo Comics Free for All
    Battlestar Galactica Issue 0
    Broken Trinity: Prelude
    Soleil
    Hunter's Moon
    Comics Go Hollywood
    Dan Dare/The Stranded
    The Death-Defying Devil
    EC Sampler
    Marvel's Best-Selling Authors Sampler
    Marvel's Greatest Collections Sampler
    Hellyboy 2: The Golden Army
    Maintenance
    Amelia Rules: Comics and Stories
    Nascar Heroes
    Avengers Invaders Sketchbook
    Sonic: The Hedgehog
    Tiny Titans
    Gumby
    X-Men
    Jughead
    Comics Festival Sampler
    The Flash #13
    The Flash #13 (Alternate Cover)
    Justice League of America #10
    Star Wars Legacy #1
    Star Wars Legacy #2
    Batman #659
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight #6
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight #7
    Owly And Friends
    Superman (08 #1)
    Iron Man and HULK and Spiderman
    Project Superheroes: Issue 0
    The Incredible Hulk/Iron Man

In total, I got 35 Free Issues. The highlight for me was getting free copies of some of the Buffy the Vampire: Season Eight series. That was an awesome find.

I also purchased Batman: The Dark Knight Returns today for $15. I look forward to reading it (I have yet to experience Frank Miller's vision of Batman). Should be awesome.

This was an awesome haul for Free Comic Book Day this year. To top it off I saw Iron Man for the second time (I caught it Thursday night as well). I also plan on watching some more comic book movies tomorrow in celebration. Tonight I am working on a Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon.

There is a point, moreover, at which the unfortunate and the infamous are associated and confounded in a single word, a fatal word - Les Miserables; whose fault is it? And then, is it not when the fall is lowest that charity ought to be greatest?- Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

AnimatedBliss.com - Animated DVD News and Information

Lost Returns April 24th

DVD Aficionado Page

Beyond Batman is offline The Tomorrow Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IDistractedYou View Post
    http://www.cnjcomics.com/(A Cleveland, Ohio comic shop that Brian Michael Bendis has said is his favorite comic shop at one point on his website) had a midnight madness party/sale. They had food, DJ, a mini bar and memebers of the 41st Star Wars Division in attendance as Obi Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and an AT/AT Trooper. Trades were 20% off and back issues were 50% off. It was quite fun and they usually get some attention from the local media at their events.

Wow, I wish one of my LCBS had that level of party madness. Sounded like a lot of fun.
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. There is an idea..... and ideas are bulletproof." -V

ThePeterNetwork is offline Smurf Life!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Batman View Post
    Wow, I wish one of my LCBS had that level of party madness. Sounded like a lot of fun.
    Me too, brother. All Midtown Comics West did was hand out all the free comics in one paper bag and an Iron Man Heroclix figure. I remember them having media coverage and superhero mascots last time I visited them in FCBD 2006 (the FCBD attendant said Midtown never did that, but I know they did). Oh, and the same family that was there last time who stood behind me in The Line were back, and they remembered me. I wasn't the first in line this time (can't be first all the time, wouldn't be fair to others)

In addition to all the freakin' FBCD titles that I picked up at Midtown, I made a stop over at Cosmic Comics (which is not really my favorite retailer) where they limited you to eight titles only. I only wanted the one Secret Invasion Blank Variant, but I did manage to pick up these seven others:

Marvel Adventures with Hulk, Iron Man & Spider-Man
    All Star Superman
    Tiny Titans
    X-Men
    Wizard's How To Draw (I bought these volumes already, so I guess you could call me Captain Redundant. )
    Jughead
    Sonic the Hedgehog

I'm probably going to give these seven away, but I never planned to pick up comics here. Me and my partner were just going to drop off fliers for the MoCCA Art Fest volunteer meeting our Museum is having.
    Please respect costumed characters. They have feelings like you and me, and half of them may know you personally.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My local shop limited people to 2-3 titles each (from past experience, they need to do this or else they run out of stock too fast), so I grabbed:

- Tiny Titans: Eeeeeee! They're ADORABLE! I'm kind of thinking that they'll be more appealing to grown ups who know who these characters are than to kids, but that just means its quite appealing to me personally.

- Atomic Robo/Neozoic: Yup. Made of Awesome. The Neozoic tale did a wonderful job of communicating the premise of the comic really fast (pretty girl with swords vs. big honkin' dinosaurs) and was quite a satisfactory slab of comic fun to boot.

- D&Q's Gekiga!: Unsurprisingly, the black-and-white comic of manga for grown ups on the top shelf had lots and lots of extra copies. I thought the first story was nicely atmospheric but really dull and strange, but the second story was great. I need to read my copy of The Push Man real soon now.

Disappointing number of Iron Man-related titles, though. I think the fact that he's not as high-profile as Spidey or Batman and the fact that the movie is also Made of Awesome actually would lead to a bump in comics sales, the same way that Dark Horse books sell out when movies appear.

-- Ed

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Isondill, I don't know what kinda shop you got in your area, but mine only allowed us to take two free issues. Which was generous in my eyes, since the other local shop was closed by the time I got out there to see what was available.

I opted for Owly and Friends, because there were multiple stories and styles, all seemingly from amateur artists trying to make it, and the Hellboy book, because I'd heard some peeps being excited about it. Haven't read them yet though.

The friend who I'd brought with me picked up the Transformers book (which sadly only seems to have stills from the animated show, a total cop-out), and that robot book.

Personally, I was bummed there weren't any free issues of Simone's Wonder Woman (which I think would have seriously boosted the book's already increasing popularity) or Gargoyles (a title that could certainly benefit from increased visibility).

Ed, I'm so disappointed that you're squealing over the Tiny Titans. EVIL! EVIL I SAY! The book may look cute, sure...but how are younger readers (the supposed target market) supposed to get why it's cool that Trigon is a teacher for Raven's class? If I'd read something like this as a kid, I would have been even more confused about comic history than I already am. And the book seemed rather fragmented. Maybe I was flipping through it too fast, but I didn't get a sense of one cohesive story. If this is going to be all about vignettes, I think the idea should have been turned into a Flash cartoon series at the DC website, or for sindication on Toon Disney or something. The notion that adults will be the primary readers for the book makes me...uncomfortable. It's one thing to appreciate the Adventures titles for being more than they appear. It's another to pick up Teen Titans GO! on a monthly basis. And it quite another to eat up this stuff with a spoon. It's not cute, DC. Bring back the Adventures comics - they're the only ones I actually enjoyed reading.

The Irishman is offline Tall. Irish. Animation Anomaly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Picked up two of Uncle Scrooge. I haven't read any of these in literally 10 years, so it was a bit of a treat to myself, as was Bongo comics. The Sonic the Hedgehog issue caught my attention. It isn't like I remember it, but that's because I'd never seen the Archie versions before. So I picked that up as well to compare.
    The Animation Anomaly

Daily Musings From the One and Only

Richv1 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I picked up over 50 comics. Plus a hero clix Iron Man. My shop had someone dressed as Superman and Chewbacca. Plus all the stores in the city are having a prize draw.

Richard Vasseur
    www.jazmaonline.com
    Last edited by Richv1; 05-12-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Ed, I'm so disappointed that you're squealing over the Tiny Titans. EVIL! EVIL I SAY! The book may look cute, sure...but how are younger readers (the supposed target market) supposed to get why it's cool that Trigon is a teacher for Raven's class? If I'd read something like this as a kid, I would have been even more confused about comic history than I already am. And the book seemed rather fragmented. Maybe I was flipping through it too fast, but I didn't get a sense of one cohesive story. If this is going to be all about vignettes, I think the idea should have been turned into a Flash cartoon series at the DC website, or for sindication on Toon Disney or something. The notion that adults will be the primary readers for the book makes me...uncomfortable. It's one thing to appreciate the Adventures titles for being more than they appear. It's another to pick up Teen Titans GO! on a monthly basis. And it quite another to eat up this stuff with a spoon. It's not cute, DC. Bring back the Adventures comics - they're the only ones I actually enjoyed reading.
    The in-jokes that are peppered in the issue are why I say that I think it's written as much or more for adult fans than the kiddies. On one level, a kid can just giggle at the idea that someone's dad is the principal or the substitute. If you know who Trigon really is, then you get a laugh on a different level.

Tiny Titans are also gag strips, some of which take more than a page to unfold. If you're expecting a longer narrative, or even one that stretches over the entire issue, then you're just walking into the title primed for disappointment. There's a long tradition of these sorts of things, from Fred Hembeck's 4-panel gags for Marvel and DC to some of the strips that run in the backs of Marvel Adventures comics. The majority of the gag strips in Tiny Titans made me happy, which is not something I can say about a whole lot of comics on the stands now. I'm not going to go out of my way to read it, mind you, but I'm not upset that I grabbed it instead of, say, Hellboy or Dan Dare or something else.

I also dispute your assertion that "It's not cute," largely because it was the first book in my pile that drew a reaction from my wife (who also liked the Teen Titans cartoon), and her exact words on seeing it were, "How cute!" If YOU want to argue with her over something like that, be my guest .

-- Ed

-- Josh Billings

Isondill is offline Snowfall Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Isondill, I don't know what kinda shop you got in your area, but mine only allowed us to take two free issues.
    Apparently I live close to some great ones.

I only went to three places and I picked up anything I didn't have from each. I figured I should give everything a try. It was no problem either, they bagged them for me at each place with cheerful smiles and I just went on my way. At the shop I purchased Batman: The Dark Knight Returns at the cashier became really happy, commenting that I was getting an "all-time classic".

There is a point, moreover, at which the unfortunate and the infamous are associated and confounded in a single word, a fatal word - Les Miserables; whose fault is it? And then, is it not when the fall is lowest that charity ought to be greatest?- Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

AnimatedBliss.com - Animated DVD News and Information

Lost Returns April 24th

DVD Aficionado Page

Adam Tyner is offline Amazing!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The last couple of years, my local stores were limiting to 2 or 3 books a piece too. Considering that it'd be a 30 minute roundtrip, I didn't even bother this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast