Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Xurk is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post

Ms. Marvel #1-5: Another title that I was vaguely interested in but passed over because I just wasn't quite sold on the concept. Brian Reed is an uninspired writer, if this is any indication of his work (perhaps he gets better?) but the plot revolves around Ms. Marvel wanting to prove she's the best superhero out there. That's "Booster Gold" territory, and the DC title does a lot better job with that type of storyline. Most unforgivable is the wiping out of a town in Georgia (3,000 people dead) when Ms. Marvel fails to stop the villain. Okay, that could be a "deep moment" for the character; the unforgivable moment comes when she doesn't dwelve very long on the horrific consequences of what happened, and the national media doesn't really blink an eye at the loss of 3,000 lives (instead, right around this exact same time "Civil War #1" was coming out, and apparently the media is outraged over 600 dead in Stanford, CT). It's times like these that the logic of the Marvel Universe starts to break down.

I might keep reading to see if it gets better, but if it gets worse...Grade: C-
    I think I read the first two issues way back when they first came out - which was just after "House of M" had been wrapped up and indeed, "Civil War" was just kicking off. I had never really invested anything in her character before that and just barely knew who she was... most of what I knew was from the Rogue origin episode in "X-Men: TAS"!
    Seeing as in "House of M", her wish had been to be this great super-heroine and apparently, she hadn't been for a while, my interest was piqued. But there wasn't that anything special going on in those first few issues so that interest faded quickly. I can also remember the monologue being presented as from her diary, with all references to "House of M" being crossed out... did that ever go anywhere?

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #1-4: This one's noteworthy for being Mike Wieringo's last work for Marvel before his untimely demise, and shows why he was a master of storytelling. It's a fun, lighthearted story written by Jeff Parker, featuring an alien invasion of Earth that didn't take 8 issues and multiple tie-ins to tell the story (I'm looking at you "Secret Invasion"). In fact, this was published during the midst of Civil War, if I recall, and was somewhat of a protest against the Civil War affecting every Marvel title at the time. The title of the story inside the book is "Silver Age", and this is a good throwback to the Silver Age goodness of Marvel. Grade: A
    I agree - this was an entertaining read! The story wasn't stellar but it felt like classic Spidey and kept it fun with a serious note here and there [instead of going all grim and gritty]. And of course, with great artwork. It's such a shame that 'Ringo can't share his beautiful work with us anymore...

Anton Chigurh
    : What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss? - No Country For Old Men

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Black Panther (1998) #1-5: I went a bit "old school" with this one, but this is one of the first comics I remember thinking "Sounds cool, and I'd like to collect it, but my subscription stack is large enough as it is."
    < S N I P >
    The Priest BP run gets more interesting as it goes on, and the political aspects get tied in with the superheroing aspects of it. However, I still don't know that I was as impressed with it as I wanted to be.

After reading the first Hudlin BP trade, I've pretty much concluded that Hudlin is writing BP like "Batman as head of state" which isn't any better or worse of an approach as any of the casually omnipotent Batman stories that are out there. I just think Hudlin's a bit too heavy-handed as a writer about the whole thing, and I'd say the same thing about a lot of Batman stories, too.

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #1-4: This one's noteworthy for being Mike Wieringo's last work for Marvel before his untimely demise, and shows why he was a master of storytelling. It's a fun, lighthearted story written by Jeff Parker, featuring an alien invasion of Earth that didn't take 8 issues and multiple tie-ins to tell the story (I'm looking at you "Secret Invasion"). In fact, this was published during the midst of Civil War, if I recall, and was somewhat of a protest against the Civil War affecting every Marvel title at the time. The title of the story inside the book is "Silver Age", and this is a good throwback to the Silver Age goodness of Marvel. Grade: A
    Actually, I think the title of this was "Silver Rage," which is one of those neat puns that works both within the context of the story and as a meta-commentary on the state of comics at the time. I wasn't as impressed with this as I wanted to be -- I think both artists have done better work -- but it is something I'm keeping as 'Ringo's last published comics work.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited

I didn't see a thread for this and thought about posting this in the "What Do You Reccomend?" thread, but decided to do one by itself. So, I've been thinking about getting a one year subscription to this after looking at how great of a deal it is. Honestly, the amount of cash I've been spending on Comixology sales would probably add up to the subscription in the last month alone. You can only read them in an internet browser though, but for $60 you can read over 10,000 comics.

There's a ton of stuff I've been wanting to read on there like nearly all of Ultimate Spider-Man, Runaways, and a ton of miniseries and the like. As well as stuff that I'm mildly curious about, but don't want to just go out and buy like Deadpool books and The Ultimates. I tried a preview and it ran well enough with my internet connection and Chrome. Much better than other services like Viz's Manga Reader and about on par with Comixology. I've been reading a lot of comics at work on break though on my Kindle Fire so it's a shame I can't do that, but still there's so much available on this.

The only real qualm I see with it is that some runs have gaps in them, some are huge, and some are just an issue. I guess they want you to have to track down a missing issue, but there's enough content to last we awhile without running into that as a problem. I've been wondering if comics ever get removed from the service and how often that is. Can anybody who has the service vouch for it?
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just wanted to chime in and say that if this stays about the service itself, cool. But if it starts going into "well, what should I buy on it?", then it needs to go into the recommendations thread.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin Kazama View Post
    I just wanted to chime in and say that if this stays about the service itself, cool. But if it starts going into "well, what should I buy on it?", then it needs to go into the recommendations thread.
    Well, since you don't "buy" anything on it, then we should be good. Assuming that actual discussion about the service starts. It's basically like Netflix Instant for Marvel comics. I was wondering if anyone here had used it before a bite the bullet and pay the $60 for a yearly subscription.
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Yoshi Mage
    I didn't see a thread for this-
    Threads merged!

The only real qualm I see with it is that some runs have gaps in them, some are huge, and some are just an issue. I guess they want you to have to track down a missing issue, but there's enough content to last we awhile without running into that as a problem. I've been wondering if comics ever get removed from the service and how often that is. Can anybody who has the service vouch for it?
    As someone who's had the service for 3 years now, I can certainly vouch for it! "New" comics get added 6 to 12 months after they debut in print, but they occasionally leave gaps in current series (I guess to encourage reading the paper versions). So while that can be frustrating, given enough time, they will add entire runs of books that definitely make it worth your while. Plus, since the start of the Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited, they've always had the entire run of 1960's Marvel Comics. So that's awesome in and of itself.

But there's hidden gems like "Tomb of Dracula" on there, classic storylines from the "All New, All Different" era of Uncanny X-Men, and it's just a great deal all around! If I wasn't so flooded reading new comics (the paper versions) then I'd read the Marvel DCU more often!

Quote Originally Posted by Jin Kazama
    Once you buy it, you get access to over 7,000 comics, so it's not a matter of buying anything else beyond the subscription to the website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome! Thanks! I really did look for the old thread as I assumed there was one. I can never seem to get Toonzone's search functions to work right. Anyway, I'll probably get this on Friday as it seems well worth it. I would've got it last week while it was on sale, but I didn't have the money. This'll definitely cut down on my impulse Comixology buys, although now I have a slight buyer's remorse for buying issues of New Avengers and Avengers Academy this week that are on the service.

Speaking of old runs, if you can, can you tell if you know if all the issues of some certain runs are on the service? I'm not an expert so I don't even no which issues make up the stuff I'm looking for, specifically, I'd like to know if Ed Brubaker's recent Captain America stuff is all there, Chris Claremont's X-Men (You mentioned they had some of it, so I'm curious if they're missing anything), oh and some storylines like The Infinity Gauntlet Saga and the first Kree-Skrull War. This looks to be an amazing way for me to get into this stuff as I've wanted to for years, but now even more so after all the superhero cartoons and movies I've come to enjoy. Plus, I've actually been reading more and more comics lately.

So, wonderfly, do comics ever get removed from the service? Ask because it would be a shame for me to read up to, like Issue 67 of Ultimate Spider-Man and then the next dozen are removed.

wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Speaking of old runs, if you can, can you tell if you know if all the issues of some certain runs are on the service? I'm not an expert so I don't even no which issues make up the stuff I'm looking for, specifically, I'd like to know if Ed Brubaker's recent Captain America stuff is all there, Chris Claremont's X-Men (You mentioned they had some of it, so I'm curious if they're missing anything), oh and some storylines like The Infinity Gauntlet Saga and the first Kree-Skrull War. This looks to be an amazing way for me to get into this stuff as I've wanted to for years, but now even more so after all the superhero cartoons and movies I've come to enjoy. Plus, I've actually been reading more and more comics lately.
    I'm going off memory here (since I can't access the Marvel website at work) but I BELIEVE they had the entire Ed Brubaker run on Captain America, from Issue #1 to 50 (and then they renumber it back to Issue #600, and they start to get spotty after that). Can double check when I get home this evening, if needed.

Chris Claremont's run on X-Men lasted 17 years, so no, it's not all on there. What I was referring to was that they had the entire CLASSIC era of Uncanny X-Men on there, from "Giant Size X-Men #1/ X-Men #94" (from 1975) to the end of the Chris Claremont/John Bryne years, around Uncanny X-Men #143 (from 1981). And probably more than that, but I'll just have to review later.

I'll have to check on Infinity Gauntlet, but I can vouch that the entire Kree/Skrull War from Avengers is on there (having read most of it myself)!

So, wonderfly, do comics ever get removed from the service? Ask because it would be a shame for me to read up to, like Issue 67 of Ultimate Spider-Man and then the next dozen are removed.
    No, they are always adding, never removing. The wouldn't remove Ultimate Spider-Man Issue #68 and onward, it's more that you may have to wait for them to get around to adding newer issues of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks! I can check for myself sometime, I just don't know the numbers that make up some of these runs and stuff. Nice to know stuff never gets removed.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hope people will see this. You can get a free month of this service by "liking" a Red Baron Pizza Facebook site.

http://www.facebook.com/redbaronpizza

Click the link that says "Free Marvel Comics."
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast