0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gargoyles #1 - 12 "Clan Building" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

They live again!

GARGOYLES #1

Written by:
    Greg Weisman
    Art by:
    David Hedgecock

Released from a medieval Scottish curse, the Gargoyles now live in the rooftops of Manhattan. But all is not safe for them— a mysterious organization called the Quarrymen are determined to see them all obliterated. The gargoyles must rely on each other and their human friends to turn the tide of public sentiment and show that they can live peacefully with humanity.

Comments? What are your thoughts?
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Howdy,

Just noting that I've mirrored this thread on the Disney Animation forum so the DA posters who don't normally hit their Friendly Neighborhood Comic Book Shop or the Comic Book Culture forum will know about this new comic, and can discuss it if they're so inclined.

-- Ed
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't realize this was out already.

Being a stickler, penny-pincher and all, I'm going to wait to see where this series goes before jumping on-board. The interiors (as seen in online preview pages) weren't so great.

GregX is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I enjoyed it. Still not thrilled with the art, and it was mostly old material, but I enjoyed it. There is some new stuff in there, like a scene with Matt Bluestone and Captain Chavez.

Really, issue 3 is what I'm waiting for. But, I urge everyone who's a fan or remembers the show to pick this up. You won't be disappointed.

Conekiller is offline On the Cruise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How often is this scheduled to be released? Is there even a schedule or is it just on a "when it comes out" type of thing?

Remembering Ben Feld,
    AKA Shogunthethird.
    A great friend, taken before his time.
    Memorial Thread

http://conekiller.deviantart.com/

GregX is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller
    How often is this scheduled to be released? Is there even a schedule or is it jsut on a "when it comes out" type of thing?
    It's going to come out on a bi-monthly schedual.

William C. Maune is offline TZ News Editor in Chief
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just tried to pick this up, but my comic store was already sold out. He said they would have more in next Wednesday though.

As for the release schedule, I think it is every other month. GregX can probably clarify though.
    Toonami Inner Circle Alliance: Forum X Bridge Digital Arsenal Infolink World's Finest ANX

KWKeller is offline Haruhiist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William C. Maune
    I just tried to pick this up, but my comic store was already sold out. He said they would have more in next Wednesday though.
    I had the same problem. I had to go to nearly every place I knew of that sold comics just to find a copy of it. Apparently, my normal comic shop hadn't thought there would be much of a demand for them, ordered only a few, and ended up selling out within a few hours of opening this morning. Hopefully, this is a good omen for the comic.
    "It's a murder, honey. A group of crows is called a murder." - Homer Simpson

Chad Bonin is offline a.k.a. Knux Five
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pre-ordered, pre-paid, just read.

Banana Cream Pie man is back...
    gaijINside
    Comics, video games, animation, gadgets, sci-fi.
    You're multifaceted. So are we.
    AND WE'RE HIRING

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregX
    It's going to come out on a bi-monthly schedual.
    That's still my major concern for this series: If we can get a complete tale in each issue, it might not be such a big deal...but I'm not convinced Greg Weisman is use to the comic book format, and thus, I fear it'll take 6 issues to tell a story that could be told in the span of a single issue...and on a bi-monthly schedule, this could take forever just to get the story somewhere interesting!!! I mean, the first couple of issues are going to be catch-up anyway...

Greg Weisman stated in an interview that he was going to enjoy not being confined to a 22 minute cartoon episode when trying to tell a story, but I think he misses the point in that in this day and age, you really have to hook your readers and keep them interested, and thus, you either have to have a really great cliffhanger, or you have to satisfy the reader by having a complete tale in the span of one issue.

William C. Maune is offline TZ News Editor in Chief
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Although it has been awhile, Greg Weisman has experience in writing comics. He worked for DC Comics in various capacities from 1983-91 (including stints as an Editorial Assistant and as an Assistant Editor). He co-wrote 33 issues of Captain Atom and personally wrote 16 issues.

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=7908
    Toonami Inner Circle Alliance: Forum X Bridge Digital Arsenal Infolink World's Finest ANX

Azrael24 is offline why?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    they sold out at my comic shop too , but i'll check again next week

Karkull is offline Mod of Chaos
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My comic shop only ordered one copy. I was lucky to be the one to pick it up.

It's okay so far. If feels derivative of the first story arc of The Goliath Chronicles (the Quarrymen), but it may have been that it was Weisman's idea and others ran with it, and he's bringing it back to his original intent. I can't wait until it goes into purely original territory.
    "You don't have the tools to defeat me."
    --Karkull, "The Hand of Fate"

The Justice League Watchtower -- Now 99.9% Wonder Twin-free!

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderfly
    Greg Weisman stated in an interview that he was going to enjoy not being confined to a 22 minute cartoon episode when trying to tell a story, but I think he misses the point in that in this day and age, you really have to hook your readers and keep them interested, and thus, you either have to have a really great cliffhanger, or you have to satisfy the reader by having a complete tale in the span of one issue.
    You can't be sure that the other issues will be like that as:

A- This is also suppose to get newcommers into the fold.
    B- Thing might be different for #3 and up since they'll be non-episode stories.

Anyway, I decided to get an additional copy for my brother.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karkull
    My comic shop only ordered one copy. I was lucky to be the one to pick it up.

It's okay so far. If feels derivative of the first story arc of The Goliath Chronicles (the Quarrymen), but it may have been that it was Weisman's idea and others ran with it, and he's bringing it back to his original intent. I can't wait until it goes into purely original territory.
    Well he wrote the first and only great episode of Goliath Chronicals and did create the Quarrymen and had many ideas for the series. It's not his fualy the GC team dropped the ball on the series.

ThePeterNetwork is offline Smurf Life!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This comic book came out this week, and I didn't know about it? Why wasn't I notified? For all I know it could be sold out already.
    Please respect costumed characters. They have feelings like you and me, and half of them may know you personally.

Bagpipes5K Guest
    We finally have our Gargoyles back! I've wanted to see more of this great show for years. The comic is awesome, and best of all Greg Weisman is part of it. The wait between issues will be agonizing but well worth it. I've gone back to my old sketchbooks and gotten out drawings of gargoyles that I never got to finish.

*feels inspired* :anime:
    Last edited by Bagpipes5K; 06-25-2006 at 05:41 PM.

Weibart is online now Intercept Now!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This wasn't bad at all.

The story covers the bases very well. The main cast is introduced very effectively, and all that heavy expository information is worked in pretty smoothly. I thought that Goliath turning to stone on Elisa's porch was a bit too pat, as it ties Elisa and Goliath into the Quarrymen's hunt a bit too conveniently. It was cool to see the Quarrymen and pie guy though.

Artwise I thought penciller David Hedgecock and colorist Will Terrell did a pretty good job. Preferrably, I wish the cover team of Greg Guler and Stephanie Lostimolo were doing the interior art as well, but that's alright. Hedgecock's style is going to take some getting used to, but I thought he did a fine job. Will Terrell did great coloring it, though he could use going with more contrasts, as those later pages get a bit muddy (specifically Goliath flying away from the helicopter).

I'm really looking forward to what's to come. As far as first issues go this was absolutely fine though.

Patrick Weibel | Writer/Artist of Intercept Now!

My Website: Weibblog |
    Follow Me on Twitter - YouTube - DeviantArt - Tumblr

ThePeterNetwork is offline Smurf Life!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, I finally got my hands on a copy of Gargoyles (Thank you, Midtown Comics West). I got a smile out of this scene where this guy shoots Goliath from his apartment window, and then Goliath comes back and bends the gun. Greg W. must have thrown that in there for the comic.

The Banana Cream Pie man's name is Vinnie.

I picked up an extra copy for my sister too. I think she will like it. Let's just hope this series doesn't end too soon like "that other Gargoyles comic book".
    Please respect costumed characters. They have feelings like you and me, and half of them may know you personally.

Junjie is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    love the cartoon when i was young... i like the red one ..think it's called Brooklyn.. am i right? i'll get this series no doubt...

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast