Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mr. Dithers in Blondie

Like This Thread!
    Who mostly dislikes the tryrantical boss of Dagwood Bumstead - Mr. Dithers - in the long running Blondie comic strip? Who every time doesn't like to be asked by Dagwood for raises or doesn't like Dagwood sleeping on the job or once in a while fires and rehires Dagwood? There hasn't been at least one time after Dagwood was fired by Mr. Dithers that Blondie would be mad at Dagwood and Blondie would temporary throw Dagwood out of the house and hoping Blondie would never see or speak to Dagwood ever again or something like that.

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never liked "Blondie" myself, including a dislike of Mr. Dithers (IIRC, Dagwood does quit/get fired for a period in the 90's, but of course returns to working for Dithers)... guess he was funnier back in the days when one person worked for the same company all their life (or there were fewer modern labor laws/employee rights), vs. nowadays when most workers would've probably told Dithers to "shove it" and found something else... :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Brainatra: It was around 1992, 1 year after Blondie started her own catering business, that Dagwood decided to quit the Dithers company for good and be part of a rival catering company but was fired and returned to work for Dithers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I notice in today's December 3, 2006 Sunday comics pages a quote said by Mr. Dithers regarding to fire Dagwood from work: "I can't do that, what will happen to his wife and kids?" (Well, instead of firing Dagwood, Mr. Dithers takes a computer screen from some other worker and smashes Dagwood on the head which wakes Dagwood up from his unexpected at work nap.)

Sharklady is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    > I notice in today's December 3, 2006 Sunday comics pages a quote said by Mr. Dithers regarding to fire Dagwood from work: "I can't do that, what will happen to his wife and kids?" <

You'd think he wouldn't worry about that, now that Blondie has a successful catering buisness.

But, as has been mentioned, the 'Blondie' strip utilizes a rather outdated view of the workplace. Post-union employee-protection laws are great in real life, but what's so funny about 'em?

tb4000 is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The tyrannical boss has been a staple of cartoon comedy for years. Mr. Slate, Mr. Spacely, etc. Though nowadays they could get sued for that kind of treatment, but it wouldn't be as funny if the employees stood up to them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
    The tyrannical boss has been a staple of cartoon comedy for years. Mr. Slate, Mr. Spacely, etc. Though nowadays they could get sued for that kind of treatment, but it wouldn't be as funny if the employees stood up to them.
    You forgot Mr. Burns from the Simpsons unless he's somewhat tyrannical to Homer!

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
    Well, the "standing up to them" works in "Dilbert" (where half the strip focuses on the idiot pointy-haired bosss vs. Dilbert, Alice, etc., as part of the strip's "dysfunctional workplace" theme)... plus think other strips these days are more likely to show workers standing up to obnoxious bosses (acknowledging that most people these days don't work at the same job for their entire lives and/or can find another job, or just being slightly more realistic---FoxTrot's Roger and his off-camera boss is the only newer strip I can think of that fits the older "annoying boss/spineless employee" model...).

That and I wouldn't lump Mr. Slate in with the likes of Spacely, Dithers, etc.---he usually seemed fairly easy-going unless Fred did something stupid and then reacted, unlike the constant chip-on-their-shoulders Spacely, Burns, etc. exhibit...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth1971 View Post
    I notice in today's December 3, 2006 Sunday comics pages a quote said by Mr. Dithers regarding to fire Dagwood from work: "I can't do that, what will happen to his wife and kids?" (Well, instead of firing Dagwood, Mr. Dithers takes a computer screen from some other worker and smashes Dagwood on the head which wakes Dagwood up from his unexpected at work nap.)
    Well, in your opinions, what do you think Dagwood's wife and kids would have done for real if Dagwood was really fired by Mr. Dithers 100% for good?

Prism is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, while Mr. Dithers was the typical slavedriving boss, Dagwood was no ideal employee himself. Always sleeping on the job, bungling important accounts, forever late,slacking, always being the golbrick, in a way Dithers was perfectly in the right to fire him. And Dagwood was always fired from his other jobs, even Blondie fired him from her catering place because he was eating up the profits! Or his running after the carpool,bus or any other means of transport due to his lateness. So I'm guessing that Mr. Dithers is his punishment of sorts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast