0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Uncanny X-Men #475 - 486 "The Rise & Fall of the Shi'Ar Empire" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

A new creative takes over Uncanny X-Men!

UNCANNY X-MEN #475

WRITER: Ed Brubaker
    PENCILS: Billy Tan

THE STORY: “THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SHI’AR EMPIRE” Part 1 of 12! A brand new era for the Uncanny X-Men begins here! Fresh off X-MEN: DEADLY GENESIS, Ed Brubaker takes the helm of Marvel’s mighty mutants. Billy Tan joins Ed for a story that won’t just affect earth, but will rock the foundations of the entire galaxy! Vulcan is out for revenge and has his sites set on the Shi’Ar Empire!
    Get ready for the ride of your life! A perfect starting point for any new reader!

Comments? What are your thoughts?
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Invidente 7 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

......wha?

Wasn't the Shiar empire blown up in Grant Morrison's run on New Xmen?

John6777 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invidente 7
    Wasn't the Shiar empire blown up in Grant Morrison's run on New Xmen?
    Yeah but the entire race wasn't killed off by one mutant, man. They survived and obviously rebuilt.
    Hellfire Haven: Opens Its Doors!!!

http://shaw712.conforums3.com

Fett One is offline Jedi Hunter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It seems to be off to a good start.
    1) There's no excuse for laziness, but I'm working on it!
    2) I will live forever or die trying
    3) It's only funny until somebody gets hurt...............then it's hilarious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It is off to a good start. Although I'm a bit leery about the prospect of a 12 issue arc. Hopefully Brubaker will maintain quality throughout the whole thing and it won't get old.

Nice to see a guy like Warpath getting a chance to shine as a member of an X-Men team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought this was a good (not great) introduction for Brubaker. I can't say it's a great jumping on point because there are plot points from the recent X-Men "Blood of Apocalypse" (talkback) arc and the X-Men: Deadly Genesis (talkback) mini-series and other little references to other stories. It is a good jumping on point to get back on the books but I don't know if new readers could jump on here clean.

Brubaker did do an excellent job on the characterization though and I can see Warpath becoming a huge character despite the somewhat lame name. It is an interesting choice for a team and I like that for the first time in ages the main team members on the X-Men books are so vastly different from each other. I also like that Brubaker is setting out to make his group definite outlaws by getting past the Sentinel O.N.E. group outside the mansion and also stealing a shuttle.

I am worried that given that this is a 12 issue storyline it will be stretched out way to long. I'm not huge on X-Men's space adventures but I hope this is different. And once again I don't see the big deal surrounding Rachel Grey. I find her to be one of the most useless X-Men characters (her and Lorna who's in this book too) and Brubaker is going to have to work hard to make me like them. But hopefully he can. I enjoyed this issue and he's going to have me reading for at least the next two parts. It's off to a good start.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

staticblue is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so whats the lineup for this new team because so far, Im not seeing anyone that would interest me in jumping back onto X-men. I hate to rant or whatevere, but for the past maybe 5 years or so, I have been slowly slipping away from marvel. The x-men wher the last thing decent about them, but it just seems that lately even they can be wishy washy with mix matched teams and such.
    your Super Charged Hero!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staticblue
    so whats the lineup for this new team because so far, Im not seeing anyone that would interest me in jumping back onto X-men. I hate to rant or whatevere, but for the past maybe 5 years or so, I have been slowly slipping away from marvel. The x-men wher the last thing decent about them, but it just seems that lately even they can be wishy washy with mix matched teams and such.
    The team is Xavier, Warpath, Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, and Marvel Girl. I think thats everyone.

ifthismeansevos is offline It's been a while.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mmm good beggining I liked Havok as the leader of a team (And that was like all the things I liked about his team and stories) I guess that means they won't be present in the civil war. Thanks god Wolvie's not with them I can imagine it. not just only hunting Nitro and Nuke at the same time and fighting the civil war and with the astonishing X-men but also in the deep space with the other team. and why not with Xcalibur and as the fifth FF (Sorry for the guys who think this is bashing Wolverine it's just well it's good to know that the Wolvie series make some sense at least)
    It's a long arc, one year with9out this guys in the earth I'm gonna miss them. But hey I'm also gonna miss Psylocke and no complaining about that.
    We come from a bad place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Part Two!

UNCANNY X-MEN #476

PENCILS:
    Billy Tan

THE STORY: “THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SHI’AR EMPIRE” Part 2! A brand new era for the Uncanny X-Men begins here! Fresh off X-MEN: DEADLY GENESIS, Ed Brubaker takes the helm of Marvel’s mighty mutants. Billy Tan joins Ed for a story that won’t just affect earth, but will rock the foundations of the entire galaxy! Vulcan is out for revenge and has his sites set on the Shi’Ar Empire! Get ready for the ride of your life! A perfect starting point for any new reader!

spidl is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I will be sucked back into this book. Havok and Polaris were very interesting in their X-Factor run. I have always been partial to Havok since he was in the lineup when I started reading the X-men. I always enjoyed Warpath in X-Force, and Brubaker might have a good handle on him. I wish there was another member to the team.

John6777 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am really enjoying this arc and Tan's art is a big factor. I wasn't a fan of Billy Tan on his previos X-men books but man did he step up and make everything look so amazing. Great job.
    Hellfire Haven: Opens Its Doors!!!

http://shaw712.conforums3.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What I really like about this book is how Brubaker is making each issue not only a part of a year long arc but also a nice single issue story. The single issues aren't really accessible but they do have their own story will adding to the overall story arc as well. It's not just padding for the sake of it but it seems like we're actually getting a full story without any padding. It's refreshing to see the story play out like this. I'm still not completely sold on Billy Tan's artwork but it's he has done a great job on the action sequences.

spidl is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man
    What I really like about this book is how Brubaker is making each issue not only a part of a year long arc but also a nice single issue story. The single issues aren't really accessible but they do have their own story will adding to the overall story arc as well. It's not just padding for the sake of it but it seems like we're actually getting a full story without any padding. It's refreshing to see the story play out like this. I'm still not completely sold on Billy Tan's artwork but it's he has done a great job on the action sequences.
    I agree with a lot of what you said. Brubaker did the same thing with his Cap run. He seems to be doing a better job in X-men than Cap at packing story into each issue. The artwork is not hitting the mark. The torsos are just a little too long.

Robin2099 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I might give this shot now that Brubaker is writing it. Brunaker is writing probabbly the best comic right now in Daredevil and is doing great with Captain America so I'm interested to see his take on the X-Men. This could be useful since the most recent creative teams on both X-Men and Uncanny really really stunk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Part Three!

UNCANNY X-MEN #477

PENCILS: Billy Tan

THE STORY: “THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SHI’AR EMPIRE” Part 3 of 12. Vulcan is mad. So mad he’s planning on destroying an entire intergalactic empire. The third Summers brother has set his sites on the Shi’Ar Empire, and when he’s finished with them, nothing will ever be the same!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have the Shi'ar always behaved this way because I was surprised by how quickly they were willing to betray their own empire?

Now that the Empiral Gaurd have showed up, we should be in for a good fight.

halinar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm still into the story but why go bi weekly if you know the artist can not keep up? Not like any artist could crank out a book every two weeks but still... have more in the tank ready to go or just keep it monthly. Guess it's time for a serious butt whooping next issue.....
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing.

ManicWebb is offline You were cold as ice...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett One
    Have the Shi'ar always behaved this way because I was surprised by how quickly they were willing to betray their own empire?
    I had a problem with that, actually. The Shi'ar have always been feverishly loyal to their emperor/empress, but these guys committed high treason simply because Vulcan bested their comrads in a fight. I mean, how was there no mutiny? You'd think those soldiers would sooner go down fighting than betray the largest empire in the known universe (and betcha by golly wow the Imperial Guard kills every last one of them), but apparently the Shi'ar are fickle enough to give their loyalty to anyone stronger than them.

By the way, this completely contradicts everything they've done recently involving the Phoenix. By this logic, the next Warship the X-Men run across should pledge themselves to Rachel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManicWebb
    I had a problem with that, actually. The Shi'ar have always been feverishly loyal to their emperor/empress, but these guys committed high treason simply because Vulcan bested their comrads in a fight. I mean, how was there no mutiny? You'd think those soldiers would sooner go down fighting than betray the largest empire in the known universe (and betcha by golly wow the Imperial Guard kills every last one of them), but apparently the Shi'ar are fickle enough to give their loyalty to anyone stronger than them.

By the way, this completely contradicts everything they've done recently involving the Phoenix. By this logic, the next Warship the X-Men run across should pledge themselves to Rachel.
    I'm glad to see it isn't just me that had a problem with that. You are right about Rachel. Using the logic from this issue, Rachel should be the new Empress in no time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast