• *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New X-Men #24 - 27 "Crusade" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    The New X-Men face tragedy!

NEW X-MEN #24 - 27

WRITER: Craig Kyle & Chris Yost
    PENCILS: Paco Medina

THE STORY: “CRUSADE” Parts 1 - 4 (of 4). New X-Man have fallen and things can't get worse for this band of young mutants. Can they rise together to defeat Rev. Stryker and his army of mutant-haters? Pick up the book that has everyone talking!

Comments? What are your thoughts?
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

ManicWebb is offline You were cold as ice...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Me and this book have been on bad terms ever since Kyle & Yost took over. I didn't have any problems with X-23/Laura joining the book, since I figured no one can butcher her worse than Claremont did in that "On Ice" arc of Uncanny. In fact, I rather liked the "Childhood's End" arc. When this arc started, the bus explosion and funeral were handled very well. In fact, the main characters have all been handled very well.

Problem is, only the main characters have been handled well. Wallflower was given the shaft, Icarus degenerated into a pile of un-winged crap, and Wind Dancer just disappeared completely. If you didn't make it into the main cast after Yost & Kyle took over, good luck surviving long enough to be a background character.

I actually threatened to drop this book, until "Crusade"'s ending. It wasn't bad. I'm a little upset that Cannonball gets treated like crap every other year, and that a member of the Guthrie clan is gone, but like I said before-- the main cast of this book is handled well.

The pointless deaths of supporting characters had better end, though. Otherwise, I'm dropping this book like a bad habit. Going from a mutant Harry Potter knockoff to having a bodycount larger than a Rambo film doesn't sit well with me.

Gokou Ruri is offline Wielder of the dark arts.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the idea behind this arc (hunting down the last remaining mutants is a nice way to show the racism between the two races), but so many fan-favorites have died... Icarus, Wallflower, Tag. Even the lesser-known ones like Quill, DJ, and the technopath mutie bit the big one. Wither and Winddancer left, and Elixer is now an angst fest. David's the only one left, and it's nice to see he's still somewhat creative even without his powers.

If they stop killing them off now, then I'll stick with it. Dust is my next favorite and then Wither. If she bites it then I'm dropping the book when my subscription ends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    On the downside:
    Another pointless death, this time Quill. Not a major character, but I know Christina and Nunzio really liked him, and it sucks for them to have their cast treated like this.

I wish we had at least seen Cyclops the Cuckoos, who were in this issue, react. I mean, they were part of the same squad, you'd think there'd be some caring there.

On the plus side:
    Dust is alright(could have done without her being seen sans Burqha though)
    Elixir is used properly

Best part of the issue:
    Hellion showing up to save Emma. Loved it.

Overall, Kyle and Yost have a decent book, but they need to stop mistreating the DeFillipis/Weir characters that aren't part of the main 7.

A couple deaths are alright. This many was excessive. This issue would have been no different had Quill just been left out.

However, they've got me as a reader for a little while longer.

Still, Dani really should be brought back in, seeing as Josh is her son, and looking at the shape he's in now.

I'm hoping we at least get to see her, Kevin, and Sofia again. They're holdovers from the original New Mutants.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've actually enjoyed the book. I didn't read it before Craig Kyle and Chris Yost took over. They were the reason I got the book because I like the work they did on X-Men: Evolution and really enjoyed the X-23 mini-series (talkback). I didn't have any connection to all the characters who were being killed off as it seemed like they were trying to par down the line and do it in a dark and scary fashion.

I also find it very interesting that Forge looks to be the one responsible for creating the Nimrod Sentinel in the first place and I hope they explore this idea more.

I've really enjoyed the Stryker storyline myself. It's not a perfect storyline as there are some plot holes but overall I found this to be a very satisfying arc and much better than his last appearance in X-Treme X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills 2. And it does look like he's met his end again but I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way around this again in the future. I wouldn't mind seeing Stryker coming back again in the future. I just really enjoyed alot of the old school touches in the storyline and I'm glad I jumped on when the new creative team did, I've been enjoying every issue!
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

ifthismeansevos is offline It's been a while.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to say the same as spidey I began to buy this with Childhood's end because of the creative team and a certain clawed girl. Even if I knew very luittle about the other characters I suffer when they died specially Wallflower. I'd wish Dani was here like in the house of M (It's the only thing I have of the old team) but the arc was good overall. I just feel pitty for Icarus he was so weirdo in this saga an then he died (I think maybe not they are X-men after all well except Wallflower I don't know how you can resurrect her but they can find someway for Icarus)
    We come from a bad place.